ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA notifies Michigan of Level I charge against Jim Harbaugh for allegedly misleading investigators: Source

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The NCAA is charging Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with a Level I violation for allegedly providing false or misleading information in an investigation into recruiting infractions during the COVID-19 dead period, a source briefed on the investigation confirmed Tuesday. The Detroit News was the first to report the violation.

Advertisement

Athletic department spokesman Kurt Svoboda confirmed Michigan received a formal notice of allegations from the NCAA this week. Michigan has 90 days to respond to the charges, which were originally outlined in a draft notice of allegations sent in January.

The draft notice outlined four Level II charges that included impermissible contact with recruits and analysts performing coaching duties, as well as the Level I charge against Harbaugh for failing to cooperate. Some of those charges were addressed through a negotiated resolution, but Michigan and the NCAA could not reach a resolution on the Level I charge against Harbaugh.

Michigan imposed a three-game suspension on him to start the season after the NCAA Committee on Infractions rejected a proposed four-game suspension as part of a negotiated resolution.

The notice of allegations received this week is unrelated to the NCAA investigation into in-person scouting and sign stealing. Harbaugh was suspended three games by the Big Ten for violations of the league’s sportsmanship policy tied to the in-person scouting ring allegedly coordinated by former staffer Connor Stalions.

The formal notice of allegations is a precursor to an infractions hearing that could occur sometime in 2024. Potential outcomes could include a show-cause penalty for Harbaugh and an additional suspension during the 2024 season.

I'm not sure why Harbaugh is being so bull-headed about refusing to cooperate. They have proof that he had impermissible contact with recruits. Just acknowledge it and take your lumps. He's going to end up costing his team more punishment for denying the charges than for the original infractions.

"Athletic department spokesman Kurt Svoboda confirmed Michigan received a formal notice of allegations from the NCAA this week. Michigan has 90 days to respond to the charges, which were originally outlined in a draft notice of allegations sent in January."

Gee NCAA-what's the rush? :)

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
I don’t understand how the NCAA still has or thinks it has control over certain things yet NIL and transfers are more than out of control.
How do you even recruit someone illegally anymore when most college football players are only committed to the money and not the college.

"Athletic department spokesman Kurt Svoboda confirmed Michigan received a formal notice of allegations from the NCAA this week. Michigan has 90 days to respond to the charges, which were originally outlined in a draft notice of allegations sent in January."

Gee NCAA-what's the rush? :)
Well if they rushed it the poor Michigan team might have been suspended for the playoffs and we couldn’t have that could we? Think of those poor kids that would miss out on that opportunity.

We all know the NCAA cares about student athletes, just ask Noah Shannon.

Hey Jeem;

Good job on not being a distraction for your team as they prepare to play in the biggest game of the season, ya damn booger eater!

The NCAA is charging Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh with a Level I violation for allegedly providing false or misleading information in an investigation into recruiting infractions during the COVID-19 dead period, a source briefed on the investigation confirmed Tuesday. The Detroit News was the first to report the violation.

Advertisement

Athletic department spokesman Kurt Svoboda confirmed Michigan received a formal notice of allegations from the NCAA this week. Michigan has 90 days to respond to the charges, which were originally outlined in a draft notice of allegations sent in January.

The draft notice outlined four Level II charges that included impermissible contact with recruits and analysts performing coaching duties, as well as the Level I charge against Harbaugh for failing to cooperate. Some of those charges were addressed through a negotiated resolution, but Michigan and the NCAA could not reach a resolution on the Level I charge against Harbaugh.

Michigan imposed a three-game suspension on him to start the season after the NCAA Committee on Infractions rejected a proposed four-game suspension as part of a negotiated resolution.

The notice of allegations received this week is unrelated to the NCAA investigation into in-person scouting and sign stealing. Harbaugh was suspended three games by the Big Ten for violations of the league’s sportsmanship policy tied to the in-person scouting ring allegedly coordinated by former staffer Connor Stalions.

The formal notice of allegations is a precursor to an infractions hearing that could occur sometime in 2024. Potential outcomes could include a show-cause penalty for Harbaugh and an additional suspension during the 2024 season.

Kick em out of the sport!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT