Cedar Rapids

Michigan receives NCAA notice of allegations for recruiting violations​

• i

Adam Rittenberg, ESPN Senior WriterDec 20, 2023, 04:47 PM ET
i
LikeOpen Extended Reactions
Funny
Celebrate
Michigan has received a notice of allegations from the NCAA regarding alleged violations by the football staff during the COVID-19 recruiting dead period, two university officials told ESPN.
According to sources, Wolverines coach Jim Harbaugh faces a Level I violation for allegedly not cooperating with or misleading NCAA investigators about the alleged violations, and Michigan also faces four Level II violations, which are considered less serious. Michigan in August self-imposed a three-game suspension for Harbaugh to begin the season as well as a one-game suspension for offensive coordinator Sherrone Moore as part of a negotiated resolution for his involvement.
The self-imposed penalties, enacted to soften the impact of NCAA punishment, came shortly after the NCAA's infractions committee did not approve a negotiated resolution involving Harbaugh that would have resulted in a four-game suspension. The NCAA also in August took the unusual step of issuing a statement during an ongoing investigation about the severity of the alleged violations involving Michigan.

EDITOR'S PICKS​

"The Michigan infractions case is related to impermissible on and off-campus recruiting during the COVID-19 dead period and impermissible coaching activities -- not a cheeseburger," Derrick Crawford, NCAA vice president of hearing operations, said in the statement, referring to the simplistic characterization of the violations in some media reports. "It is not uncommon for the [committee on infractions] to seek clarification on key facts prior to accepting. The COI may also reject an NR [negotiated resolution] if it determines that the agreement is not in the best interests of the Association or the penalties are not reasonable. If the involved parties cannot resolve a case through the negotiated resolution process, it may proceed to a hearing, but the committee believes cooperation is the best avenue to quickly resolve issues."
In January, Michigan received a draft of the notice of allegations, which outlined the Level I violation Harbaugh is accused of and the Level II infractions, which included an off-field analyst allegedly being involved in on-field coaching activities. Sources told ESPN then that Harbaugh could face up to a six-game suspension.
Michigan faces a second NCAA investigation for the prohibited off-campus scouting and signal-stealing allegedly led by former staff member Connor Stalions, who resigned Nov. 4. Although Michigan has not received a notice of allegations in that case, the Big Ten imposed a three-game suspension for Harbaugh under its sportsmanship policy, which the coach served for the final three regular-season games. Harbaugh could be charged as a repeat violator under head-coach responsibility, also a Level I charge.
Harbaugh returned to the sideline Dec. 2 for the Big Ten championship game against Iowa, and he will coach Michigan on Jan. 1 when it faces Alabama in the CFP Semifinal at the Rose Bowl Game presented by Prudential. Michigan has 90 days to respond to the notice of allegations, and then the NCAA will have 60 days to issue a rebuttal.
*Jimbo will be skipping himself to the NFL this year is my prediction.

• i

i
Funny
Celebrate
Michigan has received a notice of allegations from the NCAA regarding alleged violations by the football staff during the COVID-19 recruiting dead period, two university officials told ESPN.
According to sources, Wolverines coach Jim Harbaugh faces a Level I violation for allegedly not cooperating with or misleading NCAA investigators about the alleged violations, and Michigan also faces four Level II violations, which are considered less serious. Michigan in August self-imposed a three-game suspension for Harbaugh to begin the season as well as a one-game suspension for offensive coordinator Sherrone Moore as part of a negotiated resolution for his involvement.
The self-imposed penalties, enacted to soften the impact of NCAA punishment, came shortly after the NCAA's infractions committee did not approve a negotiated resolution involving Harbaugh that would have resulted in a four-game suspension. The NCAA also in August took the unusual step of issuing a statement during an ongoing investigation about the severity of the alleged violations involving Michigan.

EDITOR'S PICKS​

"The Michigan infractions case is related to impermissible on and off-campus recruiting during the COVID-19 dead period and impermissible coaching activities -- not a cheeseburger," Derrick Crawford, NCAA vice president of hearing operations, said in the statement, referring to the simplistic characterization of the violations in some media reports. "It is not uncommon for the [committee on infractions] to seek clarification on key facts prior to accepting. The COI may also reject an NR [negotiated resolution] if it determines that the agreement is not in the best interests of the Association or the penalties are not reasonable. If the involved parties cannot resolve a case through the negotiated resolution process, it may proceed to a hearing, but the committee believes cooperation is the best avenue to quickly resolve issues."
In January, Michigan received a draft of the notice of allegations, which outlined the Level I violation Harbaugh is accused of and the Level II infractions, which included an off-field analyst allegedly being involved in on-field coaching activities. Sources told ESPN then that Harbaugh could face up to a six-game suspension.
Michigan faces a second NCAA investigation for the prohibited off-campus scouting and signal-stealing allegedly led by former staff member Connor Stalions, who resigned Nov. 4. Although Michigan has not received a notice of allegations in that case, the Big Ten imposed a three-game suspension for Harbaugh under its sportsmanship policy, which the coach served for the final three regular-season games. Harbaugh could be charged as a repeat violator under head-coach responsibility, also a Level I charge.
Harbaugh returned to the sideline Dec. 2 for the Big Ten championship game against Iowa, and he will coach Michigan on Jan. 1 when it faces Alabama in the CFP Semifinal at the Rose Bowl Game presented by Prudential. Michigan has 90 days to respond to the notice of allegations, and then the NCAA will have 60 days to issue a rebuttal.
You know this is not a new story? This is why Michigan self-imposed sanctions at the beginning of the year (the reason Harbaugh sat out three games). The only news is that the NCAA finally delivered the notice of allegations. But the allegations have been known for months.

• i

i
Funny
Celebrate

EDITOR'S PICKS​

1ae6ab24-e198-4ce2-964f-0aabc52bfbcf_text.gif

You know this is not a new story? This is why Michigan self-imposed sanctions at the beginning of the year (the reason Harbaugh sat out three games). The only news is that the NCAA finally delivered the notice of allegations. But the allegations have been known for months.
You responded within 10 minutes of a Michigan thread being created on another team's message board. My God, man.

Sorry but self imposing a penalty that has Harbaugh Coaching remotely against the soft part of the Schedule plus the sign stealing case should at minimum cost Michigan a Bowl and Playoff ban for 2024 Season and loss of at least 3 rides for multiple Years.

Hey, hey we will just punish ourselves. Its about cheezburgers.

How many teams message boards do u have opened at the same time?

You responded within 10 minutes of a Michigan thread being created on another team's message board. My God, man.
Yeah...happened to check your board at that time...sheesh...I've been accused, on this board, for not wanting to answer a question because (the poster said) I had no answer when in reality I hadn't checked your boards in days/weeks...so what's your point?

• Haha
Reactions: kidnatural
Sorry but self imposing a penalty that has Harbaugh Coaching remotely against the soft part of the Schedule plus the sign stealing case should at minimum cost Michigan a Bowl and Playoff ban for 2024 Season and loss of at least 3 rides for multiple Years.
My point is that this is not new news...the subject states "Michigan at it again"...that implies something new came out...not a single new thing has been alleged (from the unofficial allegations)

You and I have agreed on somethings but on what "burgergate" is or isn't we don't see eye to eye...that's fine...I'll give you the respect of not being a blind homer...we'll see how this how situation plays out...

Yes
As in most cases, self-imposed in this instance means attempting to look they're taking meaningful action without actually taking meaningful action.
They've pulled enough nonsense to warrant the penalties you suggest.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Good luck watching other teams play next year after the NCAA shuts you guys down.

Yeah...happened to check your board at that time...sheesh...I've been accused, on this board, for not wanting to answer a question because (the poster said) I had no answer when in reality I hadn't checked your boards in days/weeks...so what's your point?
giphy.gif

A cursory check of your profile shows posts from Today, Yesterday, Monday, and Sunday. LOFL

Last edited:
Are you suggesting that Michigan might get the SMU death penalty? If so...congrats on getting hit head first by a train and surviving
Lol oh look, I finally got you to respond to one of my posts, even though you know that each one of my posts is intentionally meant to troll you into responding............... ;)

Guess this one is hitting with a bit more reality than you care to admit if this is what you chose to break your silence on. :cool:

GG rip Michigan football.

giphy.gif

A cursory check of your profile shows posts from Today, Yesterday, Monday, and Sunday. LOFL
So I posted on your board at night when I'm home and checking out the internet...yes...that is true...news flash...people check out the internet when relaxing...I know its weird

Lol oh look, I finally got you to respond to one of my posts, even though you know that each one of my posts is intentionally meant to troll you into responding............... ;)

Guess this one is hitting with a bit more reality than you care to admit if this is what you chose to break your silence on. :cool:

GG rip Michigan football.
I guess you did kiddo...pat yourself on the back for getting me to reply...it must feel like a great accomplishment for you...happy holidays

At what point do they just say enough is enough and enforce some penalties like no post season, vacate victories and championships? Or even the death penalty.

I just knew that NIL was going to be bad, but I didn't know it would be this bad. NCAA sports are nothing more than minor league teams, in some cases much worse than the minor leagues. I believe one of Deon's sons is getting a $100,000 car. Disgusting! It started with full-ride scholarships, so players were getting paid that way. Then all of the illegal paying which in some instances, hello Oklahoma, were paying players under the table but everyone knew, hello Marcus Dupree who admitted that colleges offered him $250,000 per year for his football services. I don't remember but I don't think Oklahoma ever got any kind of punishment for this. Then SMU got caught, and the Ponies were given the death penalty for the recruitment of Craig James and Eric Dickerson. I saw an ESPN documentary on this and James was laughing all the way through it. James is in the SMU Football Hall of Fame. That says it about all.

There are "Michigan Men" (what a joke) all over the CF boards trying to spin their Michigan BS and pump up Jimmy Nosepicker. Keep in mind, they have to cheat to win. They're the self-proclaimed "Harvard of the Midwest" and everyone else is beneath them

• i

i
Funny
Celebrate

EDITOR'S PICKS​

Little tidbit: Derrick Crawford, NCAA vice president of hearing operations - Crawford received a Bachelor of Arts in political science and Juris Doctor from Alabama.

Yes
As in most cases, self-imposed in this instance means attempting to look they're taking meaningful action without actually taking meaningful action.
They've pulled enough nonsense to warrant the penalties you suggest.
Well those first 3 games those were the hardest on the schedule and Jim sat them out!!

Honestly I'd prefer the NCAA get to work on a fair play model for P5 schools and start getting NIL to a point that makes sense for everyone.
But of course it's the NCAA so they'd rather take care of petty agendas first....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT