ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tournament Committee to emphasize quality road wins;the move signals ongoing move away from RPI

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Jul 14, 2017
  • i

Myron MedcalfESPN Staff Writer
FULL STORY: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ittee-emphasize-quality-road-wins-next-season

The men's basketball selection committee will put a greater emphasis on quality road wins beginning next season, the NCAA announced Friday.

Next year, teams aiming for the NCAA tournament will be evaluated according to quality home wins (top 30 in the RPI), neutral-site wins (top 50) and road wins (top 75). The tiers expand from there with the same criteria.

A team that plays on the road and beats an opponent rated 50th will get more credit for that victory than it would for a home win over a squad ranked 40th. The change also will ensure teams will not suffer the same penalties for road losses as they do for home losses in the selection process.

The move also signals an ongoing move away from the RPI, largely a raw strength-of-schedule metric that values quality wins and minimizes the impact of location, as a significant factor in the committee's decisions. Per the NCAA release, the committee expects to employ a new composite metric by the 2018-19 season after meeting with various experts in recent months.

For years, many programs have manipulated their nonconference résumés by facing solid opponents at home and avoiding road matchups against quality teams before conference play. But this adjustment could encourage a shift toward more high-profile road games for contenders and perhaps the restart of true home-and-home series that coaches have squashed in recent years because of fears they'll damage their résumés.

The new composite metric will likely incorporate the new analytics tools that offer a more complete picture of a team.

Dan Gavitt, the NCAA's senior vice president of basketball, said "The bottom line is we recognize the need to continue using more modern metrics and the need to make those more front and center in the sorting of data for the selection and seeding process."

Last edited:
Sounds good, I think. I still value the "eye test" quite a bit and especially for the bubble teams. Analytics and standardized measures can get most of the teams seeded close to where they should be. And if the final eight or so are chosen with more consideration for things the NCAA has moved away from recently, like who is hot in the last month, I think they can fill out the field better and make the first round all that more competitive.

One thing is certain, taking 68 teams makes it tough for anyone who doesn't get in to claim they had a great chance of winning the whole thing.

I support it in principle. Have to see how it works in practice.

I agree with this.....and think that any move away from the RPI is good.

I also think that Fran's teams have had some good road wins. I think they often times perform pretty well on the road. Last year we won at both Maryland and Wisconsin? But we got creamed at Purdue and Northwestern.

Can't wait for the season to start.

I want to see a future formula that takes into account more data analytics that includes game control that gives a much better accounting of the overall quality of each game played by teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT