ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tournament Session 5 Thread

In the event of a team tie, such as Ayala winning and Gomez/Davison both losing, anyone know the tie breaker?

does anybody know if that was our last challenge? i haven’t been keeping track.

Michigan 71 with 2 finalists.
Cornell 68.5 with 1 finalist
Iowa 67 with 1 finalist.
Iowa St 64.5 with 1 finalist.

Win in the finals is 4 points plus bonus

Ayala wins and Iowa St can’t catch us even if Carr pins Mesenbrink.

Ayala would have to get bonus and have Gomez lose to Henson, Davison lose to Kerk, and Vito to lose to Fix for us to finish second outright.

Penn St needs to win at least 4 of 6 tonight to break the record.

Best chance for losses

Bartlett to Mendez
Mesenbrink to Carr

I believe it is based off of the number of participants. Iowa had 3 challenges for the whole tournament.
If you win the challenge you keep it though. With 7-10 competitors you get 3 challenges. You would have to lose 3 challenges to be out.

Reactions: MSU158
Penn St needs to win at least 4 of 6 tonight to break the record.

Best chance for losses

Bartlett to Mendez
Mesenbrink to Carr
Couldn't they also do it with a combo of three and bonus? Not likely but think it's possible.

Reactions: ikS
Why would we be upset about it. Appreciate watching a historic moment in the sport. We all were happy to see Clark break a record older than most of us, this shouldn’t be much different.
If PSU fans weren’t so damn smug, I could maybe find some happiness for them. I don’t even have the typical disdain for the majority of their wrestlers that I normally have. Am I getting soft?

Franek getting beat 7-1.
every year watching this round really hammers home what a meat grinder this tournament is. it’s all guts out there and so many guys are losing to people they have previously beat consistently.
does anybody know if that was our last challenge? i haven’t been keeping track.
I heard the official ask how many challenges Iowa had left and the answer was 2 before the Woods challenge.

Really nice tournament from Caliendo. He, Drake, and Teske are the three I felt wrestled to their best this weekend.
I like Caliendo. 4th in this bracket is nothing to hang your head about. I hope you got to listen to the MM interview last night. He gave praise to MC for coming to scrap. Said those matches are fun. Caliendo has scored more TD on MM than anyone else to this point. I hope Iowa celebrates what they have in him. He as MM says is a gladiator. I hope to someday meet MC. Seems like a stand up all around good guy.

I like Caliendo. 4th in this bracket is nothing to hang your head about. I hope you got to listen to the MM interview last night. He gave praise to MC for coming to scrap. Said those matches are fun. Caliendo has scored more TD on MM than anyone else to this point. I hope Iowa celebrates what they have in him. He as MM says is a gladiator. I hope to someday meet MC. Seems like a stand up all around good guy.
No offense - but I’m a bit over with the pity sympathy PSU posts about how we should celebrate a good scrapper in someone.

I agree. Kerk, Brooks, Haines and Starocci are very unlikely to lose. Mendez beat Bartlett at Big 10’s but it will be a one takedown match and Mesenbrink is an animal so who knows. They may go 6 for 6
Probably right, but I do think Teemer has a shot at Haines, though I wouldn't bet much on it.

Reactions: kjb32812
I'm not picking him to win, but I'm curious to see how Welsh comes out against Star. He doesn't seem like to type to play it overly cautious. Star has been taken down multiple times this weekend, so Welsh at least has a shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkeye in DFW
If PSU fans weren’t so damn smug, I could maybe find some happiness for them. I don’t even have the typical disdain for the majority of their wrestlers that I normally have. Am I getting soft?
I would like to see more parity. I love watching the race for 2nd and 3rd. That being said, the PSU kids do not show boat as much as many wrestlers do and they seem to be respectful for the most part when they win. You never see Cael throwing a fit (a chair maybe) or making a scene with an official. They are a fairly classy bunch.

Hard to dislike them.

Now as far as getting soft - we will let your wife speak to that. ;-)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT