ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tourney run

IACentralHawk73

All-Conference
Mar 5, 2015
As of right now, (if everything holds together) what are Iowa's chances of making a Sweet 16/Elite 8 run? Just wanting people's opinions.

Over the past 30 tournaments, there have been 13 6-seeds, 8 7-seeds, and 8 8-seeds make the Elite 8. So I would put the odds at about 8-10% of getting there.

Right now, knowing nothing about who they'll get matched up with, I'd give them a 60% chance of winning their first game, 25% chance to make Sweet 16, and maybe 10% chance at Elite 8.

if they had stayed a 7th seed in the East their chances of maching the Elite were better than in the West has IA would have played these if every team held served

Beat Oregon in 7 vs 10
beat Kansas in the 7 vs 2
beat MD in the 7 vs 3
then face Virginia for the trip to the FF

as it is this is the road to the Elite 8
beat Colorado ST 7 vs 10
Arizona 7 vs 2
ND 7 vs 3
Villanova 7-1 to make it to the FF, I preferred the East, as it was, the east looked like the best chance to make the Elite 8,

we will have to wait to see who is where and what the seeds look like. but that is how it looks right now to make your projection off of.

Originally posted by NorthCentralHawk:
Right now, knowing nothing about who they'll get matched up with, I'd give them a 60% chance of winning their first game, 25% chance to make Sweet 16, and maybe 10% chance at Elite 8.
These are wise words. Lots of basketball to be played this weekend. We can better guess our chances after we see the real offical brackets a week from Sunday.

Because Hawks are a finesse team I am anxious to see them outside the BIG. I actually think it will work to our benefit in the NCAA tournament.

who knows? if i've learned anything about the ncaa tournament, is that it is 100% matchups. if we play teams that lean guard play/weak in post, iowa has a good shot. if we go against a team like we did last year with tennessee, who could match up size and length, its going to be tough.

btw, did anyone notice that somehow espn bracketology for both the men and women's brackets, iowa plays colorado state? hilarious.

As long as we don't have to play Kentucky in the second round, we have a good chance to get to the Sweet Sixteen, maybe more, which I would say would be a very successful season. Gotta wait for the regional pairings, first.

Originally posted by L. Wade Childress:
I think we have a 50% chance of winning the National championship.
Obviously. Either Iowa will win the National Championship, or they won't. If I understand statistics correctly, that means there is a 50% chance of a National Championship.

We have just as good of a chance to make a run as we do to lose in the first round.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT