ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska in 2015

soybean

HB King
Sep 30, 2001
I think Nebraska is a true mystery in the Big10 West this year, and not only because the have a new coach. The Cornhusker offense looks suspect to me, but their defense might be a tad bit more stout than in recent years. The Husker schedule is favorable. Home games with Wisconsin, Northwestern ,Michigan State and Iowa has to give them comfort. I think they win 7 to possibly 9 games this season and finish 3rd in the West at the worst.

Sept. 5, 2015 BYU Toss-up
Sept. 12, 2015 South Alabama Win
Sept. 19, 2015 at Miami-FL Toss-up
Sept. 26, 2015 Southern Miss. Win
Oct. 3, 2015 at Illinois Win
Oct. 10, 2015 Wisconsin Loss
Oct. 17, 2015 at Minnesota Toss-up
Oct. 24, 2015 Northwestern Toss-up
Oct. 31, 2015 at Purdue Win
Nov. 7, 2015 Michigan State Loss
Nov. 14, 2015 at Rutgers Win
Nov. 27, 2015 Iowa Toss-up

I have a feeling that Armstrong is not going to be a good fit with Reilly's system and that could lead to a couple early losses (BYU & Miami).

They will then have to make a QB switch. The problem here is that all the back-ups are inexperienced which, in turn, will lead to another 2-3 losses.

Therefore, 8-4 or 7-5.

Agree, NE defense will likely be better. RBs should be good but OL is still questionable. If their defense makes a big improvement, maybe 9-3.

I have a feeling that Armstrong is not going to be a good fit with Reilly's system and that could lead to a couple early losses (BYU & Miami).

They will then have to make a QB switch. The problem here is that all the back-ups are inexperienced which, in turn, will lead to another 2-3 losses.

Therefore, 8-4 or 7-5.

Agree, NE defense will likely be better. RBs should be good but OL is still questionable. If their defense makes a big improvement, maybe 9-3.

If they lose both the BYU and Miami games the Husker fanbase will turn on Riley. They are Nebraska afterall and were great a generation ago. They are the school with a record of sending 9 win coaches down the road without even a glance back.

Not really sure what to think about them but it could be a rough go this year especially with the news today.

New system, awkward QB for that system, missing best playmaker for most of the year; that doesn't usually spell success but their D should be pretty good. If they get off to a shaky start it could be bad for that kind of team.

Mike Riley went 93-80 at OrSU, 58-63 in conference. His last 5 years were 29-33, 19-26.

Yet some people think he is a good hire. Kirk has a better 5 year record than that, and most Hawkeye message board denizens think he is the worst coach in the country.

And Riley is 62!

If anything, I see Nebraska declining under Riley.

They'll finish 2nd or 3rd in a weak B1G West. At least they'll avoid the humiliation of being crushed like wisky will get to experience 2 years in a row.

If they lose both the BYU and Miami games the Husker fanbase will turn on Riley. They are Nebraska afterall and were great a generation ago. They are the school with a record of sending 9 win coaches down the road without even a glance back.
I'm not sure the fan base will turn on him quite that fast - but the honeymoon will definitely be shortened.

I think they will have a much better defense. Armstrong is average at best but they look like they have some good running backs, so their offense will be average overall.

I think they will end up 9-3 with losses to Miami, Minnesota, and MSU.

With the loss of De'Mornay Pierson-El today (6-8 weeks with a foot injury), the non-conference games just became more difficult. Hoping to go 3-1. I do think there is a chance for 4-0. BYU is banged up pretty bad and will have multiple suspensions. A lot will be determined if Hill is back at 100% after last years injury. Miami is on the road. The weather is the only thing that will be an issue in that stadium. The 4,000 Miami fans shouldn't be too intimidating. Would love to have DPE back for WI, but I would doubt it. WI will be a hard game, but they have as many, if not more, question marks going into the season as Nebraska. Michigan State will be a difficult one to pull out. Minnesota has been a loss the last two years. Hoping to change that this year. Iowa is at the end of the year and a lot will be determined by who is injured the least.

I think 10-2 is the ceiling and 8-4 is the floor (as long as things don't go very, very wrong). I will guess 9-3.

Just lost their best player....7-5.

Losses to Miami, Wisky, MSU, Minnesota and Iowa.

I think they will have a much better defense. Armstrong is average at best but they look like they have some good running backs, so their offense will be average overall.

I think they will end up 9-3 with losses to Miami, Minnesota, and MSU.

If they lose to Miami I doubt they will win 9 games then. Nebraska could start out 4-0 just as easily.

Not sure you are going to find many actual facts in a thread which solicits opinions on an upcoming season.

I always get a kick outta these guys that come to a forum that is made available to discuss football and then they bitch because( gasp) people are discussing football.

You listed that game as a toss-up. What changed?

I still see it as a toss-up but if I had to pick a winner I'd say it likely that Nebraska will prevail. Keep this in mind, nu2u, I'm a Big10 guy and will be rooting for you guys in that game.

Therefore, 8-4 or 7-5.

Riley keeps talking about Ryker Fyfe , 2nd string guy from Grand Island. Today he mentioned his composure-arm strenght- his quick reads. No mention of Armstrong.

They are Nebraska afterall and were great a generation ago. They are the school with a record of sending 9 win coaches down the road without even a glance back.

Different expectations.

Winning %

1960-1969

Nebraska: 15th
Notre Dame: 29th

1970-1979

Nebraska: 4th
Notre Dame: 7th

1980-1989

Nebraska: 1st
Notre Dame: 24th

1990-1999

Nebraska: 2nd
Notre Dame: 13th

2000-2010

Nebraska: 18th
Notre Dame: 41st

2010-2014

Nebraska: 19th
Notre Dame: 21st

Just took ND as an example. It's going on 60 years since they've won more football games. Nebraska would have to win zero games 10 years in a row and ND would have to go undefeated 10 years in a row to match win totals in the last 1/2 century. That's a huge discrepancy.

Yet ND replaces coaches at a faster clip and expects championships. No one says anything and it's hype city surrounding whoever they hire next. When little old Nebraska in the middle of a cornfield does it....delusional expectations, they haven't been good in forever - who do they think they are? Etc. The narrative changes, even though ND hasn't been in the same stratosphere in winning games since Elvis was in his prime.

And Iowa? You would have to be someone born right after WWII as a little kid to remember a decade, or a little sample size of Iowa winning more games consistently. Nebraska's 9 wins = Iowa's 6-7 wins and that's been going on for 3 generations in a row.

Different expectations.

Winning %

1960-1969

1970-1979

1980-1989

1990-1999

2000-2010

2010-2014

Just took ND as an example. It's going on 60 years since they've won more football games. Nebraska would have to win zero games 10 years in a row and ND would have to go undefeated 10 years in a row to match win totals in the last 1/2 century. That's a huge discrepancy.

Yet ND replaces coaches at a faster clip and expects championships. No one says anything and it's hype city surrounding whoever they hire next. When little old Nebraska in the middle of a cornfield does it....delusional expectations, they haven't been good in forever - who do they think they are? Etc. The narrative changes, even though ND hasn't been in the same stratosphere in winning games since Elvis was in his prime.

And Iowa? You would have to be someone born right after WWII as a little kid to remember a decade, or a little sample size of Iowa winning more games consistently. Nebraska's 9 wins = Iowa's 6-7 wins and that's been going on for 3 generations in a row.

You mad, Ray?

I think there are a lot of question marks around Nebraska's running back situation as well. It sounds like running back by committee to start the season. Like local talk radio has discussed in Lincoln, teams game planned around stopping Ameer Abdullah. They wont have that problem this year unless somebody breaks out.

Different expectations.

Winning %

1960-1969

1970-1979

1980-1989

1990-1999

2000-2010

2010-2014

Not a good comparison with ND. Their independent schedule year in and year out was as tough as anyone's in the country(not the case with Nebraska's B8 schedule). And ND still was dominant.

It might be a comparison if Nebraska had to play Oklahoma 4 times a year instead of just once.

Last edited:
Not a good comparison with ND. Their independent schedule year in and year out was as tough as anyone's in the country(not the case with Nebraska's B8 schedule). And ND still was dominant.

It might be a comparison if Nebraska had to play Oklahoma 4 times a year instead of just once.

Agree. Can't compare these stats with Notre Dame. Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Iowa State were horrible in the early years. Mizzou was good in the 60s, and then fell off big time. K-State started to show signs of life 90s right before the Big XII was formed. But I agree. Can't compare these stats to Notre Dame.

It's going to be an interesting year from NU. I'm sure hoping they do well, but I've emotionally prepared myself for some bumps in the road (hopefully nothing like last year's Wiscy game which forced me in to full meltdown mode.) I like Riley, and I think the majority of the fans like he and his staff. We have some talent at RB, but all are unproven. Losing Pierson-El hurts man. Ouch. Still have some great wide outs but, when it comes down to it, we don't have a QB that can throw the ball. Period. Armstrong is not the guy for MR and DL's system, so I think we will have some bumps. Defense will be tough. I think NU will win more than they lose, but I'm expecting bumps in the road. #GBR

I think there are a lot of question marks around Nebraska's running back situation as well. It sounds like running back by committee to start the season. Like local talk radio has discussed in Lincoln, teams game planned around stopping Ameer Abdullah. They wont have that problem this year unless somebody breaks out.

No doubt that there will be a drop off at RB with Ameer gone. There are some really good players that will be in the mix this year. Outside of Imani Cross, they are all inexperienced. As of now, it sounds like Cross will the #3 guy as a short yardage back. Newby (https://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/player-Terrell-Newby-132632) looks to be the #1 back and Wilbon (https://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/player-Mikale-Wilbon-141266) looks to be the number #2.

Adam Taylor (https://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/player-Adam-Taylor-127994) is coming back from his second leg injury and looks to be farther back than Newby and Wilbon. True freshman Stevenson (https://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/player-Jordan-Stevenson-141135) has been held out of practice for a minor injury, but may get some time in the return game with DPE out.

There are a lot of questions in the backfield, but the talent is there.

Nebraska has the most returning letterman in the West Division. They lost a couple good defenders but I think their D will be solid but offense will be average because of QB play and the fact Abdullah is a huge loss. I think they have the most talent in the division. It will be interesting to see what Riley can do.

It'll be interesting, for sure. Riley has shown he can get it done with lesser talent many times out west. Now, with access to good/great talent, it will be fascinating to see how it plays out.

DPE's loss is terrible. He is an amazing returner. Hope he makes it back to 100% asap.

Given the coaching change, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Huskers win less than 9, and wouldn't be very worried. As long as the team is competitive and the blowouts stop I'll consider it a step in the right direction.

9 wins or more and I'll be thrilled.

It'll be interesting, for sure. Riley has shown he can get it done with lesser talent many times out west. Now, with access to good/great talent, it will be fascinating to see how it plays out.

DPE's loss is terrible. He is an amazing returner. Hope he makes it back to 100% asap.

Given the coaching change, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Huskers win less than 9, and wouldn't be very worried. As long as the team is competitive and the blowouts stop I'll consider it a step in the right direction.

9 wins or more and I'll be thrilled.

DPE's loss is not just terrible for Nebraska fans, its a loss for college football fans. He is so much fun to watch except when he is returning punts against iowa.

I think Nebraska is a true mystery in the Big10 West this year, and not only because the have a new coach. The Cornhusker offense looks suspect to me, but their defense might be a tad bit more stout than in recent years. The Husker schedule is favorable. Home games with Wisconsin, Northwestern ,Michigan State and Iowa has to give them comfort. I think they win 7 to possibly 9 games this season and finish 3rd in the West at the worst.

Sept. 5, 2015 BYU Toss-up
Sept. 12, 2015 South Alabama Win
Sept. 19, 2015 at Miami-FL Toss-up
Sept. 26, 2015 Southern Miss. Win
Oct. 3, 2015 at Illinois Win
Oct. 10, 2015 Wisconsin Loss
Oct. 17, 2015 at Minnesota Toss-up
Oct. 24, 2015 Northwestern Toss-up
Oct. 31, 2015 at Purdue Win
Nov. 7, 2015 Michigan State Loss
Nov. 14, 2015 at Rutgers Win
Nov. 27, 2015 Iowa Toss-up

Iowa is a toss-up? Ha-ha, no. We go into that game as the walking dead every year and still win. Also, we no longer have Pelini as coach to keep it close. Let's not forget, we also have a bye week to heal up prior to the game this year. We will beat Iowa by at least three touchdowns this year.

Iowa is a toss-up? Ha-ha, no. We go into that game as the walking dead every year and still win. Also, we no longer have Pelini as coach to keep it close. Let's not forget, we also have a bye week to heal up prior to the game this year. We will beat Iowa by at least three touchdowns this year.

Uh, huh. I see.

Must of erased 2013 from your memory?

Must of erased 2013 from your memory?

It sucks when fan bases can't have reasonable discussions without flame attempts.

Yep. I have no problem with him picking a Nebraska win over Iowa. But talking about a 3 TD blowout this early is ridiculous...especially if you take into account the four games between the two since Nebraska joined the league.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT