ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska, Iowa graduates' ACT scores top national average, but minorities still lag

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Nebraska and Iowa high school graduates edged out the nation for another year on the ACT exam.

But score reports released Wednesday by the Iowa City-based ACT reveal disparities among racial groups in both states and nationally on the test.

The average ACT composite score for the nation’s 2017 graduating class was 21.0, up from 20.8 last year. Sixty percent of the nation’s graduating class took the exam.

Nebraska’s score held steady at 21.4, with 84 percent of graduates tested.

In Iowa, 67 percent of graduates were tested for a score of 21.9, down from 22.1 a year earlier.

“It’s one good measure, us holding our own against the rest of the country,” said Nebraska Education Commissioner Matt Blomstedt.

The ACT consists of four subject-area tests, in English, math, reading and science. The maximum composite score is 36.

Blomstedt acknowledged achievement gaps, saying that in future years, with all juniors taking the test, the state should reap good data to help address gaps.

Last spring all juniors in the state took the ACT exam as part of the state’s annual assessments. The scores for their graduating class won’t be made public until a year from now.

The ACT’s annual score report, The Condition of College & Career Readiness 2017, slices up score data on the 2 million graduates who took the popular college entrance exam.

ACT officials say the nation’s poor, immigrant and minority students who took the test lag behind their peers when it comes to college readiness.

Officials highlighted the performance of what they called “underserved” populations, those who would be the first generation in their family to attend college, come from low-income families or self-identify their race or ethnicity as a minority.

Only 9 percent of ACT-tested graduates who had all three characteristics — immigrant, poverty and minority — showed strong readiness for college coursework.

ACT gauges readiness by whether students hit benchmark scores in the four subject areas.

Students who meet readiness benchmarks are more likely to go to and stay in college and earn a degree than those who don’t, ACT says.

The benchmarks specify the minimum score that students must earn on each of the four ACT subject tests to have about a 75 percent chance of earning a grade of C or higher and a 50 percent chance of earning a B in a typical credit-bearing, first-year college course in that subject area.

The majority of underserved students, including 81 percent of test-takers having all three characteristics, reached only one or none of the benchmarks.

“While it’s no surprise that underserved students fall behind their peers due to the inequities that exist, it’s extremely alarming and concerning to see how large this achievement gap really is,” said ACT Chief Executive Officer Marten Roorda.

In Iowa and Nebraska, students identified as white and Asian got the highest composite scores.

Black test-takers trailed all racial groups in both states.

Twenty-eight percent of tested 2017 Nebraska graduates met all four benchmarks, compared with 27 percent for the nation. In Iowa, 31 percent of graduates met the benchmarks.

In Iowa and Nebraska, only 6 percent of black test-takers met all four benchmarks.

Nationally, the number and percent of Hispanic students taking the ACT continued to rise in 2017.

Average scores and readiness levels among Hispanic students improved slightly this year even as their numbers increased.

Participation by Hispanic students is on the rise in Nebraska.

The number of Hispanic test-takers has risen over the past five years: 1,831 to 2,514.

They made up 13 percent of Nebraska test-takers this year, up from 10 percent five years ago.

Hispanic scores in those years have held steady despite more test-takers.

Health sciences and technologies continues to be the most popular college major choice among the nation’s graduates, beating the next highest named major, business, by a nearly 2-to-1 ratio.

http://www.omaha.com/news/education...cle_69d0dc5e-f165-5d81-8a72-b1fe0c0f6d8b.html

My kids did exceptionally well on the ACT (30's) since their learning style was a better fit for success in that format than the SAT. Got them into their target schools.
We had them tested to see which one would be more likely to score in the ranges they needed to be admitted and thus concentrate their preparations - son did exceptionally well on SAT as well, but he had been selected way back in 7th grade for that early test they used to do.
Not surprised to hear Iowa kids did well, as your state is known for good schools.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
Minoroties lag in Iowa? Iowa should really allow minorities to attend the same schools as non-minorities and allow them to have access to the same teachers and same materials so they too can score well. :rolleyes:

Minorities lag behind because of their cultural values, family life, etc.....or the bell curve thing is right.

giphy.gif

It's because:
1) the tests are white, European-centric
2) we don't throw enough money at the problem
3) standardized tests are racist

People just keep making excuses, they just are not as smart as white people!! Everyone knows that!

giphy.gif

It's because:
1) the tests are white, European-centric
2) we don't throw enough money at the problem
3) standardized tests are racist
I know you're just joking but some people make that actual argument.

1. They grew up in America just like us, and we aren't Europe-centric(Metric system)
2. We give them more chances for scholarships.
3. Math, geography, basic reading and writing english skills, as well as science aren't racist.

You want to talk test bias? There is a test called the Allen Cognitive Level Screen (ACL). You will encounter this test if you are over 65-70 or so and find yourself in a short term (or not short) nursing home stay following a hospitalization for an injury, illness or surgery.

The test is meant to assess your cognitive level, and help to identify the appropriate discharge setting (ALF vs independent vs nursing home), level of assistance/supervision, etc.

The most commonly administered version of the ACL has the subject copy various stitching patterns around the periphery of a leather card. I have a hard time accepting there isn't a gender/culture bias to this test. Practice your needlepoint boyz, it might keep you out of the old folks home.

Reactions: artradley
It's not a race problem, it's a culture problem. We still have people in this country living whose grandparents were born into slavery. People ripped from their own cultural understandings and who were denied an education (and if not explicitly post-slavery, then certainly implicitly) for decades. Considering that the foundations of an education start early and are cultural norms that pass down, it's remarkable how far black Americans have closed that achievement gap. Especially post-Civil Rights Era. But it will take generations of cultural change to see true equality in educational experiences.

It's not a race problem, it's a culture problem. We still have people in this country living whose grandparents were born into slavery. People ripped from their own cultural understandings and who were denied an education (and if not explicitly post-slavery, then certainly implicitly) for decades. Considering that the foundations of an education start early and are cultural norms that pass down, it's remarkable how far black Americans have closed that achievement gap. Especially post-Civil Rights Era. But it will take generations of cultural change to see true equality in educational experiences.
No high school kids have grandparents born into slavery.... many have grandparents born in the 70s though. It's s failure of the black nuclear family, perhaps aided by social welfare designed to help. Intrinsic motivation for people to be good parents and community leaders, was overcome by extrinsic motivation to not be those things.

No high school kids have grandparents born into slavery.... many have grandparents born in the 70s though. It's s failure of the black nuclear family, perhaps aided by social welfare designed to help. Intrinsic motivation for people to be good parents and community leaders, was overcome by extrinsic motivation to not be those things.

Um, the only problem with this being the basis for your argument is that there's been a failure of the white nuclear family at the same time. And social safety nets are not to blame. Try lack of economic opportunity and and hopelessness for a future that leads to teen pregnancy, that leads to a break down of said nuclear family.

Um, the only problem with this being the basis for your argument is that there's been a failure of the white nuclear family at the same time. And social safety nets are not to blame. Try lack of economic opportunity and and hopelessness for a future that leads to teen pregnancy, that leads to a break down of said nuclear family.
Look up stats for it of wedlock births and get back to me

Look up stats for it of wedlock births and get back to me

Yep, here you go...
oow_age_race_2015.jpg

https://www.brookings.edu/research/an-analysis-of-out-of-wedlock-births-in-the-united-states/
The Brookings Institute makes a highly convincing argument that it's the biggest reason is the death of the shotgun wedding in all communities, but especially the black community. But you still never explained how this is inherently a racial thing vs a culture thing that was influence by the relatively recent history of slavery and the destruction of black families...
https://www.brookings.edu/research/an-analysis-of-out-of-wedlock-births-in-the-united-states/

Yep, here you go...
oow_age_race_2015.jpg

The Brookings Institute makes a highly convincing argument that it's the biggest reason is the death of the shotgun wedding in all communities, but especially the black community. But you still never explained how this is inherently a racial thing vs a culture thing that was influence by the relatively recent history of slavery and the destruction of black families...
So, let's see Asians and whites did the best on tests..... also fewest percentage born or of wedlock. Cant feed em, wrap it.

So, let's see Asians and whites did the best on tests..... also fewest percentage born or of wedlock. Cant feed em, wrap it.

Well, it's easy to tell people to value family whose great, great grandparents were ripped from their families. It's harder to provide educations and hope for a better future for them. The #1 predictor of out of wedlock birth is not race but whether the father has a full time job when the woman is impregnated. The #1 predictor of teen pregnancy in girls is lack of a string father figure. You have to admit the chips are stacked against most young black women's favor.

Well, it's easy to tell people to value family whose great, great grandparents were ripped from their families. It's harder to provide educations and hope for a better future for them. The #1 predictor of out of wedlock birth is not race but whether the father has a full time job when the woman is impregnated. The #1 predictor of teen pregnancy in girls is lack of a string father figure. You have to admit the chips are stacked against most young black women's favor.
No excuse, quit having kids, culture is broken, did it. It had nothing to do with great great grandparents. 150 years is almost 7 generations, so more like great, great, great, great, grandparents.

No excuse, quit having kids, culture is broken, did it. It had nothing to do with great great grandparents. 150 years is almost 7 generations, so more like great, great, great, great, grandparents.

It's not about excuses, it's about fixes. I get it, you want to say black people are just more irresponsible and why can't they just get it together like us, but that type of narrow-minded thinking just perpetuates the cycle. Or do you even care about the root causes of the problem? They were born black, sucks for them?

I think we should take what successful black Americans have, bottle it, and give it to all young black Americans. Because from what I hear, it's truly amazing that any black Americans have any type of life success at all, since everything is so unbelievably stacked against them by white males like myself.

I think we should take what successful black Americans have, bottle it, and give it to all young black Americans. Because from what I hear, it's truly amazing that any black Americans have any type of life success at all, since everything is so unbelievably stacked against them by white males like myself.

Another one too stupid to understand what I said, or see the big picture or offer any serious thought to remedy the situation. Surprise, surprise. So many of my fellow white Trumpkins are so extremely emotionally fragile to dare deal with this subject.

Another one too stupid to understand what I said, or see the big picture or offer any serious thought to remedy the situation. Surprise, surprise. So many of my fellow white Trumpkins are so extremely emotionally fragile to dare deal with this subject.
LOL.

They have schools in Nebraska?

The fact that Nebraskans scored high really does take away all excuses for any minorities (and white people) across this country to not score better on these tests.

Last edited:

Kids who don't value education typically don't perform as well as kids who do value education. Families/Parents that don't value education often have kids that also don't value education.

Why do we have so many kids and families (of all races and nationalities) that don't value education?

1. People don't often value what is freely given to them until it is taken away.
2. People become content w their own level of poverty.

Good news: we still need ditch diggers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT