ADVERTISEMENT

Neighborhood Spring Cleanup Days

StormHawk42

HR Legend
Nov 3, 2009
Always look forward to the annual spring cleanup day done by the city. Get rid of plenty of crap each year. But always amazed at the folks who slowly drive around with their trailers in the days leading up to it to go through each house’s stuff.

I’m all for my stuff going to someone who thinks they can use it. Just fascinating to me there’s so many people who want other people’s throwaways. And not necessarily poor people either. See plenty of nice trucks hauling stuff around.

Always look forward to the annual spring cleanup day done by the city. Get rid of plenty of crap each year. But always amazed at the folks who slowly drive around with their trailers in the days leading up to it to go through each house’s stuff.

I’m all for my stuff going to someone who thinks they can use it. Just fascinating to me there’s so many people who want other people’s throwaways. And not necessarily poor people either. See plenty of nice trucks hauling stuff around.
The rummaging would always start after dark. You could just see constant car lights

We usually see an an invasion of the poors. We sit on the front porch, have a few drinks and throw peanuts at them.

Anybody can sell anything....1 person's trash is another person's treasure...

I grew up a "poor"...I guess...my dad was a mailman and my mom sold insurance...

Every appliance/tv/lawnmower/bike..etc...I and my sister ever had/used as a kid, was from stuff my dad would see on his mail route that he brought home and found a way to make work. Crap might have only been useful for a few years and he was constantly tinkering with stuff in the garage..but it seemed to suit us well...

I grew up a "poor"...I guess...my dad was a mailman and my mom sold insurance...

Every appliance/tv/lawnmower/bike..etc...I and my sister ever had/used as a kid, was from stuff my dad would see on his mail route that he brought home and found a way to make work. Crap might have only been useful for a few years and he was constantly tinkering with stuff in the garage..but it seemed to suit us well...

I think it’s great when people can find a use for something instead of just tossing them into landfills. It’s good for the environment in many ways. Our country’s consumerism culture could learn something from that.

Kudos to your father, I try to do the same when I can, but I’m far from a handy person and I often have to just throw in the towel and buy new unfortunately.

Reactions: SigMaintHawk

I'd call that frugal, not poor.

Reactions: SigMaintHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT