ADVERTISEMENT

Never as good as you think you are after a win, nor as bad after a loss

DanHawkPella

HB Legend
Jul 24, 2001
I HATE losing to teams we should beat, so it's hard to even watch the full game when I feel that is going to happen. I can watch a full game where we lose 42-24 to OSU, but losing to Purdue no way.

So, yeah, I turned it off after Q1 as it totally smelled like a bad loss, and just checked scores periodically on ESPN which was heart wrenching enough. I literally felt like kicking any life form coming within 3 yards of me the last 36 hours but I think I'm coming back to normal. Took me longer when I was younger, so age has some benefits.

I do usually stay away from the boards during this time window, though :)

Purdue studied our defense all summer, planned for multiple weeks for us, we were coming off of a high, and they had the defensive personnel to take advantage of our weaknesses. So it definitely felt dangerous coming into the game.

We play the same defensive scheme most every game with just a few wrinkles thrown in, and Purdue does a good job of adjusting what they do to take what we give them and avoid turnovers. We needed to win the turnover battle to win, and we not only lost that, but we didn't manage field position either as our defense just could get those 3 and out type stops often enough. I saw blown assignments by the DE's on a few QB runs, and so it just seemed like everyone took turns making small mistakes and Purdue had a great game plan TAILORED for us.

So other than a few points I suppose it's best to flush it and plan ahead. Maybe that Minnesota/Nebraska game makes more sense now about why some wanted Nebraska to win......

- We have a bye week, so hopefully they can retool the offense a bit and rethink the OL as well as getting playmakers more involved.

- Defensively I think we are fine for the remaining teams, who don't adjust much for our specific defense. But next year we may need to go off-scheme a bit more against Purdue.

- I do think we focus very well on the road and everyone should have 2 good weeks of focus for Wisconsin. That is a huge game for obvious reasons.

B10 West now a race again. Unfortunately. But if we can win the West even with another loss, I'll take it, and then we can throw our best at OSU or whoever comes out of the East and still have a great year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News