Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Three losses

Votes: 64 54.2%
  • Playoff

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Natty

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters
There is no way our backup will be worse than Hill. Last year what we witnessed at the QB position at Iowa was beyond comprehension. We would have been better off to punt than to attempt a forward pass.

And just remember, Jon Budmayr, the gift from heaven, was responsible for bringing Deacon Hill here. KF and Beth got rid of our WR coach and our OC/QB coach. Why does Budmayr still have a job?

Deacon was the Hill that Brian died on. Budmayr should have died with him.

Reactions: SolarHawk
I'm with the 3 loss crowd. Its really tough to weigh these variables on this team pre-season.

There's a real possibility that the defense, with the loss of our best pass rusher and corner, takes a serious step back. That same corner was incredibly outstanding as a gunner on punt and as a punt returner, and we lose the best punter in the country in Tory as well. Drew Stevens was not trending in the right direction as our kicker last year. Those units have won us so many close and low scoring games, and it doesn't take a lot of variance from that standard and we lose a lot more games last year and probably moving forward.

How do you weigh that against an offense that will likely massively improve, but probably be one of the four worst offenses in the league? The coordinator change usually represents a learning curve too. And that wide receiver room is a black hole. Will Kirk trust the right units in crunch time, with all this upheaval? And will the schedule be the saving grace?

This is all going to be much clearer after we watch them play. I know you could say that every year, but especially in 2024.

You have to take into account the “we can’t have nice things” factor…. So I’m personally hoping for the best, preparing for the worst. Mostly likely is an 3 loss regular season imo. And the worst I’d say is a 4 or 5 loss season. Sort of a feeling of high hopes after 2004 and 2009 only to stumble the following years. Or even the 96 to 97 season with Banks and Dwight returning.

F6n6

if Iowa only wins 9 games, that will mean Brian F. is a better coordinator and we should have kept him.
Good grief, give it up already.

I'm thinking likely 8-4......but wouldn't be surprised with 7-5 or 9-3.

I voted undefeated because that’s what I want to happen. I’m leaning 8-4 but thinking 9-3

I would say 2 losses. OSU and UCLA. I do not like the idea of traveling clear to the coast after a rivalry game. But I think 10-2 might be good enough to make the B10 championship. I think with the teams we added, it is going to be a lot harder for teams to go undefeated and thus harder to only lose 1 or 2. That is where it gets tricky, because again, say we lose to OSU and UCLA. We go to the B10 championship game against OSU again. I think as long as you do not get blown out in either game, losing to the same team twice should not impact the chances at the playoffs.

I'm with the 3 loss crowd. Its really tough to weigh these variables on this team pre-season.

There's a real possibility that the defense, with the loss of our best pass rusher and corner, takes a serious step back. That same corner was incredibly outstanding as a gunner on punt and as a punt returner, and we lose the best punter in the country in Tory as well. Drew Stevens was not trending in the right direction as our kicker last year. Those units have won us so many close and low scoring games, and it doesn't take a lot of variance from that standard and we lose a lot more games last year and probably moving forward.

How do you weigh that against an offense that will likely massively improve, but probably be one of the four worst offenses in the league? The coordinator change usually represents a learning curve too. And that wide receiver room is a black hole. Will Kirk trust the right units in crunch time, with all this upheaval? And will the schedule be the saving grace?

This is all going to be much clearer after we watch them play. I know you could say that every year, but especially in 2024.
I’ll give Phil the benefit of the doubt. He’s earned it.

Washington got ripped apart with players moving on after last year. Their 2024 team won't be anywhere near their 2023 team
Okay, but we have lost to lesser teams than them in Kinnick. Why is maddening, but it happens at times, probably more often than we would like.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT