ADVERTISEMENT

Never been to London...(skyscrapers)

Look up St Paul’s Heights in the Google machine and you’ll learn everything you want to know.

Edit to add: My Dublin friends have told me there’s a similar law there that nothing can be higher than the tallest structure at the Guinness brewery. It makes sense the Irish would do something like that but it could all be urban legend.

Look up St Paul’s Heights in the Google machine and you’ll learn everything you want to know.

Boom, thanks. Seems to be same concept as D.C. But their D.C. is also their New York City.

I don't have a problem with it, just seems a tad strange. The days of the skyscrapers might be ending...but we only have so much land. Building up still seems like a good idea rather than taking up more land. If I am wrong, please call me out.

Boom, thanks. Seems to be same concept as D.C. But their D.C. is also their New York City.

I don't have a problem with it, just seems a tad strange. The days of the skyscrapers might be ending...but we only have so much land. Building up still seems like a good idea rather than taking up more land. If I am wrong, please call me out.
Why would the days of skyscrapers be ending? I’m just curious as I have zero knowledge on the subject.

You’re not wrong. Vertical development is currently considered to be the most efficient way to maximize urban growth and economic development particularly in the fastest growing cities and towns in the country. Urban sprawl is the exact opposite.

You’re not wrong. Vertical development is currently considered to be the most efficient way to maximize urban growth and economic development particularly in the fastest growing cities and towns in the country. Urban sprawl is the exact opposite.

Vertical is better when it comes to the number of streets you have to repair, clean, and patrol.

Well there goes my plan to flirt when I visit in August…
dc55272a-7be9-4ad7-8658-7be6955ccfde_text.gif

There are a few newer, taller structures along the river in London….
I don’t know about now, but for a long time, the tallest structures in Budapest were limited to 8 stories…my daughter threw me that factoid back when she was doing her “overseas semester” during her college days.

But I kinda like the Beatles
Well, I headed for Las Vegas
Only made it out to Needles
Can you feel it?
Must be near it
Feels so good
Whoa, feels so good...
I must admit, I had to sing this in my head and was only thinking what the hell does this thread have to do with Spain, but they never been to England either…nicely done…

Was there last July. Didn’t see the skyscraper part of London (Isle of Dog) until we went to the Greenwich conservatory (well worth it, by the way). You get there, and have a spectacular view of the skyscraper district. It is wierd: You’ve been to Westminster and Hyde Park and Buckingham palace and such, and have no sight of the skyscraper district. Then, suddenly, there it is.

Reactions: GES4 and torbee

Yeah, you’re wrong. Charleston, SC would be ruined with your logic. I like being able to to see the steeples from anywhere. Do you not have appreciation for history or nostalgia?

Yeah, you’re wrong. Charleston, SC would be ruined with your logic. I like being able to to see the steeples from anywhere. Do you not have appreciation for history or nostalgia?

I do, that is why I like DC law. London is a major financial center. Apples and oranges between Charleston and London.

While Europe has some skyscrapers the fact they were established cities already when building skyscrapers began happening stopped a lot of this. They also didn't want skyscrapers blocking historic structures,the view of the Eiffel tower for example. Then you have the term Brusselization. Where Brussels just stuck high rise buildings wherever in the 60's and 70's. In Berlin the soil is so soft it can't support skyscrapers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Twoooooooo

if DC really wanted to redevelop, they'd remove height restrictions over in the SE section, which actually has some spectacular vistas of the downtown area. As it is, now all we have is Rosslyn.

And the national cathedral, which I'm not sure how they got do do their thing

Edit to add: My Dublin friends have told me there’s a similar law there that nothing can be higher than the tallest structure at the Guinness brewery. It makes sense the Irish would do something like that but it could all be urban legend.
Lived there and know it to be true. Govt is against ruining the historical value of city center.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT