ADVERTISEMENT

New EV Battery, 98% recharge in <10 minutes; 80% in under 5

Joes Place

HR King
Aug 28, 2003

>2x the capacity (volume energy density) of typical Li-ion
>80% recharge in ~5 minutes
10 year lifespan in aging tests
>93% capacity after 1000 recharge cycles (for a 250 mile/charge vehicle, that is 250,000 miles; if capacity is >2x, then you're looking at a 400-500 mile/charge vehicle that could retain 93% capacity at 400,000-500,000 miles)

Enovix, based in Fremont, California, announced that it demonstrated in electric vehicle (EV) battery cells the ability to charge from 0% to 80% state-of-charge in as little as 5.2 minutes and to achieve a greater than 98% charge capacity in under 10 minutes. The cells also surpassed 1,000 cycles while retaining 93% of their capacity.

The achievement shattered the United States Advanced Battery Consortium (USABC) goal of achieving 80% charge in 15 minutes.

Other goals for USABC at the cell level include a usable energy density of 550 Wh/L, a survival temperature range of -40 to +66 degrees C, and a cost of $75/kWh at an annual output volume of 250,000 units. A full set of USABC targets can be found here.

The company demonstrated the fast-charge ability in its 0.27 Ah EV cells in its silicon lithium-ion batteries, which it said contain a novel 3D architecture and constraint system. The cells contain a 100% active silicon anode. Enovix said the material has long been heralded as an important technology in the next generation of battery anodes.

Silicon anodes can theoretically store more than twice as much lithium than the graphite anode that is used in nearly all Li-ion batteries today (1800mAh/cubic centimeter vs. 800mAh/cubic centimeter).

Last edited:
Did the battery meet the other criteria mentioned?

Other goals for USABC at the cell level include a usable energy density of 550 Wh/L, a survival temperature range of -40 to +66 degrees C, and a cost of $75/kWh at an annual output volume of 250,000 units.

I’ve seen a lot of breakthrough battery articles over the years where they don’t ever seem to scale or be able to be manufactured at a reasonable cost. Still nice to hear about a breakthrough though.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Did the battery meet the other criteria mentioned?

Other goals for USABC at the cell level include a usable energy density of 550 Wh/L, a survival temperature range of -40 to +66 degrees C, and a cost of $75/kWh at an annual output volume of 250,000 units.

I’ve seen a lot of breakthrough battery articles over the years where they don’t ever seem to scale or be able to be manufactured at a reasonable cost. Still nice to hear about a breakthrough though.

If you look at the PDF slide deck:

Other goals for USABC at the cell level include a usable energy density of 550 Wh/L
Yes, nearly double this value, 900-1000 Wh/L

a survival temperature range of -40 to +66 degrees C
Tested at constant storage temps up to 60° and 70°C for 6 months; almost no degradation <60°C
Projected "calendar life" is listed as "10 years"; no info on cold temperatures below 30°C
survival range refers to transient exposure, which is why they ran tests at constant storage - only question is on thermal cycling, which is how they would be exposed "in the real world"

, and a cost of $75/kWh at an annual output volume of 250,000 units
No financials listed; but "going to market this year"

So, a substantial step forward on most of the USABC goals

Reactions: ClarindaA's
And do they need specialized superchargers?

Specialized, meaning what? They will need 240V or 480V chargers, not household 120V in order to charge that quickly. Fast charging requires high amperage, so they would need "Telsa-like" supercharging stations designed for this.

Charging stations are amp-limited; you bump the charging voltage up 2x (120v to 240v) and it requires half the amps. Same with going up to 480v. So you won't be "fast charging" out of your regular home voltages, which could require 100A or more - that's on the order of many people's entire home amperage inlet wiring. I think a typical home these days has 100-150A service.

I went through the slides and couldn’t find out how they actually did these tests. Do you know how they performed these?

Specialized, meaning what? They will need 240V or 480V chargers, not household 120V in order to charge that quickly. Fast charging requires high amperage, so they would need "Telsa-like" supercharging stations designed for this.

Charging stations are amp-limited; you bump the charging voltage up 2x (120v to 240v) and it requires half the amps. Same with going up to 480v. So you won't be "fast charging" out of your regular home voltages, which could require 100A or more - that's on the order of many people's entire home amperage inlet wiring. I think a typical home these days has 100-150A service.

That's my point. "Tesla-like". They probably won't be able to use a Tesla charger unless installed in a Tesla, so we need to build infrastructure in order to benefit from this new battery technology.

That's my point. "Tesla-like". They probably won't be able to use a Tesla charger unless installed in a Tesla, so we need to build infrastructure in order to benefit from this new battery technology.

Hop on over to the "standard charging cable" thread and explain how not imposing standards like this becomes a "negative" for consumers... 😉

>2x the capacity (volume energy density) of typical Li-ion
>80% recharge in ~5 minutes
10 year lifespan in aging tests
>93% capacity after 1000 recharge cycles (for a 250 mile/charge vehicle, that is 250,000 miles; if capacity is >2x, then you're looking at a 400-500 mile/charge vehicle that could retain 93% capacity at 400,000-500,000 miles)

Enovix, based in Fremont, California, announced that it demonstrated in electric vehicle (EV) battery cells the ability to charge from 0% to 80% state-of-charge in as little as 5.2 minutes and to achieve a greater than 98% charge capacity in under 10 minutes. The cells also surpassed 1,000 cycles while retaining 93% of their capacity.

The achievement shattered the United States Advanced Battery Consortium (USABC) goal of achieving 80% charge in 15 minutes.

Other goals for USABC at the cell level include a usable energy density of 550 Wh/L, a survival temperature range of -40 to +66 degrees C, and a cost of $75/kWh at an annual output volume of 250,000 units. A full set of USABC targets can be found here.

The company demonstrated the fast-charge ability in its 0.27 Ah EV cells in its silicon lithium-ion batteries, which it said contain a novel 3D architecture and constraint system. The cells contain a 100% active silicon anode. Enovix said the material has long been heralded as an important technology in the next generation of battery anodes.

Silicon anodes can theoretically store more than twice as much lithium than the graphite anode that is used in nearly all Li-ion batteries today (1800mAh/cubic centimeter vs. 800mAh/cubic centimeter).
I can't tell, how big is the battery? It's measured in kWh, right? I assume it still takes longer for a bigger battery

I can't tell, how big is the battery? It's measured in kWh, right? I assume it still takes longer for a bigger battery
It is a "battery cell", and if you read the PDF, it carries a capability about 2x higher than typical Lithium Ion cells.

That implies in roughly the same power pack "form factor" of your current EV, you'd be at 400-500 mile range by making a pack out of these batteries (compared to the nominal 200-250 mile range, today)

I would buy an EV if they can go six hours at highway speeds on a full charge, AND if I can top off in the time it currently takes to fill up with gas and hit the restroom.

I would buy an EV if they can go six hours at highway speeds on a full charge, AND if I can top off in the time it currently takes to fill up with gas and hit the restroom.

That is what these batteries seem to provide.

The "bonus" here is you can run the charger WHILE peeing, because there's no risk of fuel spillage with a EV electric cable. Plug it in and walk in to pee/shop while your car is charging.

That is what these batteries seem to provide.

The "bonus" here is you can run the charger WHILE peeing, because there's no risk of fuel spillage with a EV electric cable. Plug it in and walk in to pee/shop while your car is charging.

I would imagine that would be frowned upon if there are other people waiting to use the charger.

Sounds like good news, although I (and evidently others) have a couple questions:

A) How easy are these batteries to produce and how expensive are they?
B) What's the risk of them spontaneously catching fire?

I still think the easiest solution is to have easily interchangeable batteries that can be swapped out at "fueling stations" (or whatever you want to call them). Batteries can then be maintained by the stations so batteries that no longer hold a charge can be pulled out of use. It would allow states to tax them so there is money to fix roads (I know that will cause steam to shoot out of some people's ears but road maintenance money needs to come from somewhere), it will probably be easier on electrical grids and solves the issue of where people who park on the street are going to be able to easily charge their car at, and it will meet the recharging in the 5-10 minute range that is necessary to make EV's a viable option for long term use in the US. Of course, if the batteries mentioned above are as good as advertised then that issue might be addressed.

Of course, to do this would require some sort of standards for batteries so manufacturers can design common battery housings for their vehicles.

Reactions: l.todd
You can't pee and be in/out of the place in 10 minutes?

I thought we were bitching about charging that took "longer than 10 minutes" in threads posted by you over the past several years....

Weird.

Way to miss the point.

Even now, there are signs on the pump that tell you to move your car after fueling as a courtesy to other drivers.

I still think the easiest solution is to have easily interchangeable batteries that can be swapped out at "fueling stations" (or whatever you want to call them). Batteries can then be maintained by the stations so batteries that no longer hold a charge can be pulled out of use.

Economics of this are very complicated.
Do you want your "new" battery swapped out with one that's 3 yrs old and at 90% capacity w/o some form of a "credit"? What would be the approach to adjustments on that? It would need to be some centralized database or something.

I find it difficult to imagine "swapping out" 500# of battery pack being more convenient than a ~10 minute recharge time.

Economics of this are very complicated.
Do you want your "new" battery swapped out with one that's 3 yrs old and at 90% capacity w/o some form of a "credit"? What would be the approach to adjustments on that? It would need to be some centralized database or something.

I find it difficult to imagine "swapping out" 500# of battery pack being more convenient than a ~10 minute recharge time.
It would take some engineering to make it work, that's for sure. I would imagine that batteries would have a use limit or age limit of some sort to make the differences in charge capacity negligible. I'm not saying there aren't issues, but it solves a lot of problems. There is also almost zero chance it will happen because we are so far down the road under independent batteries for each company. We can't even get companies to agree to a standard format for charging adapters, I don't see how we could get it for batteries.

I looked up the stock. Looks like a market cap of around $1.7B. Would think some of the car companies would be looking at buying the company if the dollars/scale work out.

Sounds like good news, although I (and evidently others) have a couple questions:

I still think the easiest solution is to have easily interchangeable batteries that can be swapped out at "fueling stations" (or whatever you want to call them). Batteries can then be maintained by the stations so batteries that no longer hold a charge can be pulled out of use. It would allow states to tax them so there is money to fix roads (I know that will cause steam to shoot out of some people's ears but road maintenance money needs to come from somewhere), it will probably be easier on electrical grids and solves the issue of where people who park on the street are going to be able to easily charge their car at, and it will meet the recharging in the 5-10 minute range that is necessary to make EV's a viable option for long term use in the US. Of course, if the batteries mentioned above are as good as advertised then that issue might be addressed.

Of course, to do this would require some sort of standards for batteries so manufacturers can design common battery housings for their vehicles.
That's not a feasible nor "easy" solution. It's certainly not where the puck is going. Quick charging will be the solution, and we are getting there relatively fast. In 10 years everything will have a battery and charging will be as quick and easy as filling up a gas tank.

Reactions: Joes Place
That's not a feasible nor "easy" solution. It's certainly not where the puck is going. Quick charging will be the solution, and we are getting there relatively fast. In 10 years everything will have a battery and charging will be as quick and easy as filling up a gas tank.
I disagree, but I acknowledge that it would take a lot infrastructure investment to make it work. Certainly as much as it will take for quick charging to work. That said, I hope you are right. I also hope you are looking forward to $1000 licensing for EV's because states need to get money to fix roads somehow. Taxes suck, but drivers also hate roads full of potholes and collapsing bridges. Or, roads will become pay-to-play to drive on them. With things like EZ Pass or their equivalents, something like that becomes more feasible. I hate that solution, btw. "You mean I have to pay $500 for my trip to [insert location]?" It's a good bet whatever fees you pay would end up being higher than the money you would have spent on gas too.

480v commercial chargers, a 240v charger would not be able to charge that quickly. Still, would be a huge improvement and could be a game changer.

I would imagine that would be frowned upon if there are other people waiting to use the charger.
Is that different than starting to pump gas while running in to pee?If you are still “pumping” when you come back out, you are still ”pumping”.

I disagree, but I acknowledge that it would take a lot infrastructure investment to make it work. Certainly as much as it will take for quick charging to work. That said, I hope you are right. I also hope you are looking forward to $1000 licensing for EV's because states need to get money to fix roads somehow. Taxes suck, but drivers also hate roads full of potholes and collapsing bridges. Or, roads will become pay-to-play to drive on them. With things like EZ Pass or their equivalents, something like that becomes more feasible. I hate that solution, btw. "You mean I have to pay $500 for my trip to [insert location]?" It's a good bet whatever fees you pay would end up being higher than the money you would have spent on gas too.
Are you suggesting that current gas taxes provide enough “money to fix roads somehow…?
This is not an EV only problem. Gas taxes have been diverted for as long as they have been collected.

Are you suggesting that current gas taxes provide enough “money to fix roads somehow…?
This is not an EV only problem. Gas taxes have been diverted for as long as they have been collected.
I'm suggesting that gas taxes were meant to be used to maintain infrastructure. If states have decided to use those funds for other things, well that's on them. Either way, if people aren't driving gas cars then they aren't paying gas taxes and whatever is funded by the gas tax isn't getting paid for anymore.

Sure, but I don't really need 5 minute charging at home. Sure, in an emergency it might be nice, but for the most part a typical fast charger at home is plenty since I can just plug it in when I get home and forget about it. The real problem is trying to charge on the road where we have a limited number of charging stations, an ever growing number of cars, and a long time to get full charge. So 5 minutes is huge.

Admittedly, I don't follow these things much, but this battery exchange is an interesting concept. Kind of like Blue Rhino propane. Interesting. Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm suggesting that gas taxes were meant to be used to maintain infrastructure. If states have decided to use those funds for other things, well that's on them. Either way, if people aren't driving gas cars then they aren't paying gas taxes and whatever is funded by the gas tax isn't getting paid for anymore.
Ok. What can we do to make it work?
Cost per mile driven certainly would be one way.
How about cost per mile driven by weight? Trucks and electrics pay more than little cars. Trucks pass on the cost…
Maybe a flat fee and then increases per mile or category over a threshold.
Fees levied at registration per vehicle value which decrease/increase as the ride ages or inflates in value?

Sure, but I don't really need 5 minute charging at home. Sure, in an emergency it might be nice, but for the most part a typical fast charger at home is plenty since I can just plug it in when I get home and forget about it. The real problem is trying to charge on the road where we have a limited number of charging stations, an ever growing number of cars, and a long time to get full charge. So 5 minutes is huge.
Why do you think there are so many gas pumps littering the roadside?
Charging stations will soon be littering the roadside as well.
Look for other stations to follow the Sheetz model and set up chargers. For the money…

Last edited:
Why would that be any different than when I use CC and fill up my Camaro...then walk in and grab a few six packs while the fuel is going in?

Reactions: billanole
Why would that be any different than when I use CC and fill up my Camaro...then walk in and grab a few six packs while the fuel is going in?

You cannot "spill" electrons all over the pavement in the event the auto shutoff doesn't engage, that then become a massive explosion hazard, would be my first guess....

You cannot "spill" electrons all over the pavement in the event the auto shutoff doesn't engage, that then become a massive explosion hazard, would be my first guess....
Not an expert on these things.

I do know my phone stops charging when at 100%. I would hope someone is smart enough to figure that out for a car battery charger.

(I also love my gas powered cars...figuring out how I am getting my 23 vette Z06....but hey make electric practical...we can talk)

Ok. What can we do to make it work?
Cost per mile driven certainly would be one way.
How about cost per mile driven by weight? Trucks and electrics pay more than little cars. Trucks pass on the cost…
Maybe a flat fee and then increases per mile or category over a threshold.
Fees levied at registration per vehicle value which decrease/increase as the ride ages or inflates in value?
Those are ideas. I don't think people will like the government being able to track how much they are driving and likely where they are driving. I'm not sure how it will work because nobody has settled on anything. I've seen ideas that involve making licensing fees for electric vehicles far more expensive but that discourages people from changing to electric vehicles. I'm sure they will figure it out eventually though.

Those are ideas. I don't think people will like the government being able to track how much they are driving and likely where they are driving.
Old news. People also don’t like paying state and federal fuel taxes.
Blaming bad roads on the switch to EVs is kinda BS when the problem already exists.
What are your suggestions?

Old news. People also don’t like paying state and federal fuel taxes.
What are your suggestions?

I can say for certain that anything the Govt puts in your car to track your mileage...at this point in time...will be hacked before it becomes a requirement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT