ADVERTISEMENT

New league FB scheule

GeorgePeeples

HR All-State
Jan 9, 2020
Thinking about FB schedule with 18 Big Ten teams.

One option:
Play 9 conference game.
Each team has 1 protected rival that is played every season.
Play the other 16 teams in a rotating, 4-year cycle as follows:

Year 1:
Protected rival at home plus 8 other teams, 4 away and 4 at home.
5 home games, 4 away games.

Year 2:
Reverse of home/away from Year 1, same teams.
Protected rival away, plus 8 teams played in Year 1, 4 away and 4 at home.
4 home games, 5 away games.

Year 3:
Protected rival at home plus remaining 8 conference teams not played in Year 1 and Year 2 (4 home and 4 away)
5 home games, 4 away games.

Year 4:
Reverse of home/away from year 3.
Protected rival away, plus 8 teams played in Year 3, 4 away and 4 at home.
4 home games, 5 away games.

Very much spitballing here, but using the above format for the Hawkeyes, here might be a 4-year conference schedule:

Protected rival: Minnesota (All about the pig!)

Year 1:
Home games;
Minnesota (Protected rival)
UCLA
Rutgers
Michigan
Wisconsin

Away games:
Oregon
Purdue
Michigan State
Illinois

Year 2:
Same as Year 1, but reverse home/away. (Protected rival, MN away)

Year 3:
Home games:
Minnesota (PR)
USC
Penn St.
Maryland
Nebraska

Away games:
Washington
Indiana
Ohio State
Northwestern

Year 4:
Same as Year 3, but reverse home/away. (PR MN away)

Play every team in the league home and away every 4 year cycle.
Could flip Year 2 and Year 4, so in any 2-year period, play every team in the league once.

Complicated, of course and travel will be brutal at times.
Will be interesting to see the new schedule.

Reactions: Bishop1971
If the goal is to have each conference school having a home game versus every other conference school at least once in a 4-year period, then there won't be divisions.

Per my previous response in a different thread, GeorgePeeples is correct with the scheduling scenario for an 18-team conference with nine conference games, so the best scenario would have only one protected rival for each school.

Question is which school would be Iowa's protected rival -- Wisconsin, Minnesota, or Nebraska? While Nebraska would be my last choice of those three, I have the feeling the the conference will pair Wisconsin with Minnesota, in which case Iowa would be paired with Nebraska as it's protected rival.

I feel bad for whoever takes over for KF. Just look at those projected schedules compared to this year's schedule. Whoever takes over will be playing a 1000% times more difficult conference schedule, they will have nowhere near the success KF has had, and people will complain that the new guy sucks when in reality the schedule will be more to blame than anything.

I feel bad for whoever takes over for KF. Just look at those projected schedules compared to this year's schedule. Whoever takes over will be playing a 1000% times more difficult conference schedule, they will have nowhere near the success KF has had, and people will complain that the new guy sucks when in reality the schedule will be more to blame than anything.
They will also have more resources than Kirk ever had.

Reactions: kceasthawk
4 pods.
West- USC, UCLA, OR, WA
Midwest-NE, IA, MN, WI
Great Lakes- NW, IL, MI, MSU, PU
East - IN, OSU, PSU, RU, MD
Protected rivalries-OSU/MI, IN/PU

Last edited:
4 pods.
West- USC, UCLA, OR, WA
Midwest-NE, IA, MN, WI
Great Lakes- NW, IL, MI, MSU

Dude................................................. missing pod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 pods.
West- USC, UCLA, OR, WA
Midwest-NE, IA, MN, WI
Great Lakes- NW, IL, MI, MSU
East - IN, OSU, PSU, RU, MD
17 teams ???????????????? Now we have a team missing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You killed Purdue!

Who is in our group? We will be accused of being in the weakest division again. They gonna throw Michigan in with us?

And 6 team groups, which two in the midwest get thrown in with the 4 west coast?

Do they bend over Nebraska and make them be in the west?
More importantly, how do you decide who goes to conference championship with 3 groups?

Can a Washington, Oregon, USC, UCLA, Wiscy, Nebbie, Iowa, Minne work? With who, Illinois? NW?

And if that was the case and they could keep divisions, I wish theyd play a crossover game at the end of the year the big 10 championship, then the number twos, the number threes, the number fours, the number fives etc….

I think it would add to the end if the year fun, matching up each team in the division…play the 3-9 v 4-8 teams mid week?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT