ADVERTISEMENT

New Tier for D1 football

obfuscating

HR Legend
Jan 8, 2016
And the movement has started - I didn't think it would happen this quickly, but I have said since NIL started that this was needed. Of course the NCAA will find a way to ferk it up

NCAA President Charlie Baker announced Tuesday that he wants the organization to create a new tier of Division I athletics where schools with the most resources can offer unlimited educational benefits, enter into name, image and likeness partnerships with athletes and directly pay them through a trust fund.

In a letter sent to more than 350 Division I schools, Baker said the disparity in resources between the wealthiest schools in the Football Bowl Subdivision and other DI members — along with the hundreds of Division II and III schools — is creating “a new series of challenges.”

“The challenges are competitive as well as financial and are complicated further by the intersection of name, image and likeness opportunities for student-athletes and the arrival of the Transfer Portal,” Baker wrote.

Division I is currently divided into the FBS and FCS (Football Championship Subdivision). Baker’s proposal is aimed at creating a new subdivision where schools in the so-called Power Five conferences — the Big Ten, Southeastern Conference, Big 12, Atlantic Coast Conference and Pac-12 — can operate.

Last edited:
So.....what is the value of this professional league compared to let's say....the NFL.

These idiots don't get it. I will watch this new super division about as much as I watch UNI if Iowa isn't involved. Most people now tune into the playoff because they are a fan with passable interest due to their interest in their own college team. If there isn't a connection between Iowa and that league I have zero interest. Why watch shit professional football when there the real pros play on Sundays

200.gif

Reactions: luvmyhawks
So, he thinks universities paying players will "fix" something. If it's only the P5 or soon to be P4, it will probably "fix" things for all of D1 that isn't in the P5 (or P4). I think that's about 60 schools, perhaps?

But it will ruin college football in the 60 or so schools that are in the P5, right? Still a HUGE difference between the haves and have nots. How is Indiana, or Iowa State, or Maryland, or Wake Forest - or Iowa - supposed to compete with tOSU, Mich, Bama, GA, etc?

The NCAA has it's priorities screwed up, and the University Presidents and AD are culpable. Here is their list ....

1. Money
2. Blah
3. Blah
4. Blah
5. Blah
6. Rules violations - only the minor one's with no real impact on anything.
7. Blah
8. Blah

48. Parity and fair competition

62. Supporting student-athletes

I think it’s more likely that Big Ten and SEC football secede from the NCAA. They have not been competent or fair in regulating the big money sports.
If that happens people won’t give a crap about college football. It would be stupid to have 40-50 teams in their own little world.

The NCAA isn’t perfect but if you detach it will be a minor league for the NFL and piss on that.

Reactions: Bishop-71
NBC had a story on the news about this. The pay has to be equal among all qualifying athletes at a school. They tossed around $30,000

Roflmao. That might as well be $0.03 for some of them.

What was this suppose to stop?

The interesting thing is where you’d draw the line. I’m guessing most are thinking power conference members, but in all honesty, the top tier is maybe 20 teams.

I’d venture that if you broke down the money there’d likely be 4 tiers, and the gap between 1&2 might be bigger than 2&3:
1) the blue blood big boys
2) other p5 teams (Iowa would be here)
3) smaller conference teams
4) FBS teams

Why not just have teams for all theses schools where they are not students. They are just athletes. I mean who the hell are they fooling. As fans we are left with cheering for the uniform…not the players. Strike a deal with the NFL and make it a NFL development league on college campuses. Who gives a shit at this point. College football is gone baby gone.

Instead of chasing blue bloods — why not push them out to go on their own and then coalesce on a group of schools that are interested in amateur football.

Competing with these advantaged programs is really beyond our level of resources anyway. They are responsible for dragging CFB the way it has gone, with the NIL, Free Agent Transfer Portal, etc.

I’d much rather compete against like minded institutions rather than the Cleveland Browns Minor League Team @ Columbus.

I guess it all depends on how you view fairness in a competitive arena.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
Blow the whole thing up and start back at square one before money füked it all up.

Good at Football? That equals a free 4/5 year education, no more, no less.

Can't maintain a 1.8 gpa? Sit until you can.

Get thru the 4/5 years and graduate? You get a nice chunk of the revenue generated over your college career.

Let the NFL take the chance on the 5 star HS stud that doesn't want to go to school straight to the league, like NBA.

We'd immediately improve our society, if even just slightly.

Why not just have teams for all theses schools where they are not students. They are just athletes. I mean who the hell are they fooling. As fans we are left with cheering for the uniform…not the players. Strike a deal with the NFL and make it a NFL development league on college campuses. Who gives a shit at this point. College football is gone baby gone.
There is ONE big reason that aint happening. The No Fun League isn't haven any of it. Whats in it for them. They already have a developmental minor league, and its not costing them anything.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
I think it’s more likely that Big Ten and SEC football secede from the NCAA. They have not been competent or fair in regulating the big money sports.
I think its most likely that the blue bloods secede from their conferences and the NCAA. They will form their own premier league. Just like what happened in soccer.

Some media source / investment group will fund it.

That's where this ends up. Follow the money.

Reactions: cm8124
There is ONE big reason that aint happening. The No Fun League isn't haven any of it. Whats in it for them. They already have a developmental minor league, and its not costing them anything.
If this goes down the way I picture — there may be no NFL.

I'd like to see them start the departure from the NCAA, or each of the major conferences decide to leave together. The ridiculous and seemingly arbitrary decisions that take entirely too long to decide the athletic fate of young men and women is maddening. I'm convinced a competent person could be found to run the governing body for the $2.5 to $3 million the president makes, especially if they have a billion dollars to determine eligibility of players, hand out real discipline when appropriate (not like the bullshit with Harbaugh), and determine which schools are in certain divisions. There is zero excuse for the length of time the NCAA takes, other than to flex their power or appearing to give decisions deep thought.

Last edited:
Why mess with it now other than nil adjustment. Make it about nil and not paying players. Personally if Iowa has the same football resources as the other big schools I'm ok with this. You can't tell me that the haves are going to have a lot more than the others. Of course assuming that the money all comes from the conference and is shared equally

What is the point of having MAC, Mountain west type conferences in that same system as the B10 and SEC? Thye have zero chance to compete. They should have their own division.

And the movement has started - I didn't think it would happen this quickly, but I have said since NIL started that this was needed. Of course the NCAA will find a way to ferk it up

NCAA President Charlie Baker announced Tuesday that he wants the organization to create a new tier of Division I athletics where schools with the most resources can offer unlimited educational benefits, enter into name, image and likeness partnerships with athletes and directly pay them through a trust fund.

In a letter sent to more than 350 Division I schools, Baker said the disparity in resources between the wealthiest schools in the Football Bowl Subdivision and other DI members — along with the hundreds of Division II and III schools — is creating “a new series of challenges.”

“The challenges are competitive as well as financial and are complicated further by the intersection of name, image and likeness opportunities for student-athletes and the arrival of the Transfer Portal,” Baker wrote.

Division I is currently divided into the FBS and FCS (Football Championship Subdivision). Baker’s proposal is aimed at creating a new subdivision where schools in the so-called Power Five conferences — the Big Ten, Southeastern Conference, Big 12, Atlantic Coast Conference and Pac-12 — can operate.
A pro league! I have another idea. Let the NFL form a minor league and let schools educate. End this farce. End multi-million dollar coaches, athletic scholarships and huge TV contracts.

What is the point of having MAC, Mountain west type conferences in that same system as the B10 and SEC? Thye have zero chance to compete. They should have their own division.
I'd argue your point is even more broad than that. If you aren't in a P2 conference, it's going to be next to impossible to compete with schools bringing in $100M/year. It won't be right away, but slowly over time that wealth builds up and gap grows bigger and bigger.

Reactions: shudaddy
Thank god Iowa is/will be in that upper echelon of schools wealthy enough to buy a decent football or basketball team. However, there will still be stratification among the top schools. Texas A&M, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan etc have shown they have the wealth to separate from many of the schools near the top but not at the top.

And when the football rich schools start buying basketball teams, how the hell will the basketball powerhouses survive, like Gonzaga, Villanova, Marquette and so on.

And when the football rich schools start buying basketball teams, how the hell will the basketball powerhouses survive, like Gonzaga, Villanova, Marquette and so on.
I think those basketball schools have the advantage that they dont have to split NIL with 2 sports.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
A pro league! I have another idea. Let the NFL form a minor league and let schools educate. End this farce. End multi-million dollar coaches, athletic scholarships and huge TV contracts.
Yep, have said since NIL started that this was going to take the student out to the athlete, which is exactly what a lot of these young men need, to be educated and have another option when football ends (for many that is when they graduate).

The new tier should be NFL Lite. No school.

I have said it before; spin it off as a subsidiary corporation. Pay players. Forget the school part.

This NIL stuff gets dumber by the day
Already have that. XFL and USFL.

I'd argue your point is even more broad than that. If you aren't in a P2 conference, it's going to be next to impossible to compete with schools bringing in $100M/year. It won't be right away, but slowly over time that wealth builds up and gap grows bigger and bigger.
And I would argue it’s even more broad than that. I agree with your point that the gap will continue to grow larger and larger, but let’s be honest: northeastern, etc, can’t compete now. In a few years even Iowa, Wisconsin, and Nebraska will feel a mile away from Ohio State and Michigan.

As I said previously, there will be 15 to 20 teams miles ahead of everybody else.

And then there will be teams like Iowa and the bottom 2/3 of the B1g, SEC, etc.

And then the Northwestern, Vanderbilts, Iowa States, and the MAC teams.

And I would argue it’s even more broad than that. I agree with your point that the gap will continue to grow larger and larger, but let’s be honest: northeastern, etc, can’t compete now. In a few years even Iowa, Wisconsin, and Nebraska will feel a mile away from Ohio State and Michigan.

As I said previously, there will be 15 to 20 teams miles ahead of everybody else.

And then there will be teams like Iowa and the bottom 2/3 of the B1g, SEC, etc.

And then the Northwestern, Vanderbilts, Iowa States, and the MAC teams.
From a financial aspect...maybe. But those big name teams got all the 5-star players anyway. So the fact that Bama can pay their best player $5MM and iowa can pay $1MM, that player was going to bama before NIL anyway. Because hes paid more doesnt mean hes gonna now play better. There are only so many 5-stars to go around and only 22 players can start. IMO, as much as it helps the blue bloods, it hurts them as well. Their depth is being destroyed by teams like iowa. Think about Cade mcnamera and Kaleb Brown. Pre-transfer portal days and NIL they would have never gone to iowa and would still be at UM adn OSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT