ADVERTISEMENT

Next NCAA championship-

There is nobody out there better to right the ship, we have the leader we need.
He needs to get a better staff with more success and notoriety, that is whats needed with The team and the club. If TnT are unable to make the adjustments needed now then it is time to move on, but I am still with the brothers until then.
the same staff has been in place for what...8 years? people have said the same things about needing to upgrade staff for years...

how much longer do they get?

the same staff has been in place for what...8 years? people have said the same things about needing to upgrade staff for years...

how much longer do they get?
Hey. He said "now" - which i'm good with. 2 new assistants (no way does he "move" his twin brother) from the outside (middle and heavyweight)

Coaches I'd love for Tommy to hire and actually listen to:

Middleweight
Hayden Hidlay
Mark Hall
Cenzo Joseph
Lee Roper (don't think he'd ever leave Schwab - but i promise he would be a game changer)

Heavyweight
Kollin Moore
Trent Hidlay
Ty Walz
Ben Darmstadt

Doesn’t strike u as an April fools joke? Is he getting a medical out of the Navy? Was an academy possibility out of high school? WCAP? Smells funny to me. Much like Willie’s post.
Wanna be a Seal? Lot of macho kids do.

Did Tom and Terry rough you up a bit in your younger days??
Nope.

I was really happy when they took over the program. But I’ve known them since they were little hellions. (Their mom once told me that they liked watching me compete when they were kids.)

Reactions: TarpHawk
You remind me of a greasy skid mark in a new pair of skivvies. Its just a disappointment, that needs to be thoroughly cleaned.
Hey, maybe you can be the one to thoroughly clean my scrotz….you won’t be disappointed. I promise. 😘

i just want to be clear that i'm not suggesting that the staff isn't 'on these' guys.
Which staff? That would be a nice detail you could clear up for us.

If you’re not comfortable naming names, maybe just let us know if one of the staff involved is someone who needs to specify which university he is from when calling?
Thanks bro. We’d like to know whether to get our hopes up.

Which staff? That would be a nice detail you could clear up for us.

If you’re not comfortable naming names, maybe just let us know if one of the staff involved is someone who needs to specify which university he is from when calling?
Thanks bro. We’d like to know whether to get our hopes up.
Don't get your hopes up is what he's saying.

But the staff is recruiting Blaze, Bassett and Forrest.

If we're not going after the Raney's that's a hugely missed opportunity.

Motherf*cker I've been burned like five times on April Fool's day today. My gullible ass. 🤬
Right? I read an article talking about the next Taylor Swift disc covering an entire Grateful Dead album. Sounded a bit odd to me, but hey… lol They mentioned her connection with John Mayer and her desire to cover Uncle John’s Band. Who could make that shite up? Lol

They must of had fun writing that whopper.

Reactions: DeadHead11

Middleweight
Hayden Hidlay
Mark Hall
Cenzo Joseph
Lee Roper (don't think he'd ever leave Schwab - but i promise he would be a game changer)

Heavyweight
Kollin Moore
Trent Hidlay
Ty Walz
Ben Darmstadt
At least you’ve offered a solution. Good on you. I’d narrow it to the Hidlay’s and Moore and get a recruiting coordinator.
The problem is no experience coaching or recruiting.
Those crying for change have been riding on the coattail’s of a Gadson tweet, a known Hawkeye hater.

Last edited:
Reactions: vhsalum
At least you’ve offered a solution. Good on you. I’d narrow it to the Hidlay’s and Moore and get a recruiting coordinator.
The problem is no experience coaching or recruiting.
Those cruing for change a change have been riding on the coattail’s of a Garson tweet, a known Hawkeye hater.
Unfortunately, I don’t believe that bottom-up change will do the trick. Or, I’d at least be surprised if it did.

The fact statements like this are made over and over again in regards to the cream of the crop recruits possibly going to Iowa is why change is needed.
I guess basset will have to get rid of all his Iowa memorabilia when officially Joins his buddy Forrest at PSU. I guess tan Tom gets Blaze. I’ll cut my ****ing wrists if we lose Blaze to a shit team like Purdue, but it may be best for us for a few of the studs to go to crap programs. With Raney’s being from the south, don’t be surprised if they are much more interested North Carolina, NC state, or V tech.
Yeah 125 is probably not an option anymore if he's walking around 160. Let's say 133/141

Last edited:
Reactions: el dub
I guess basset will have to get rid of all his Iowa memorabilia when officially John’s his buddy Forrest at PSU. I guess tan Tom gets Blaze. I’ll cut my ****ing wrists if we lose Blaze to a shit team like Purdue, but it may be best for us for a few of the studs to go to crap programs. With Raney’s being from the south, don’t be surprised if they are much more interested North Carolina, NC state, or V tech.

Wanna be a Seal? Lot of macho kids do.
If he’s walking around at 160 and 5 ft nothing, he is obese. Seals don’t want short obese guys. 😂😂

• Haha
If he’s walking around at 160 and 5 ft nothing, he is obese. Seals don’t want short obese guys. 😂😂
whip it devo GIF

Reactions: PSU Mike
Right? I read an article talking about the next Taylor Swift disc covering an entire Grateful Dead album. Sounded a bit odd to me, but hey… lol They mentioned her connection with John Mayer and her desire to cover Uncle John’s Band. Who could make that shite up? Lol

They must of had fun writing that whopper.
I pray that never comes true.

Middleweight
Hayden Hidlay
Mark Hall
Cenzo Joseph

Heavyweight
Kollin Moore
Trent Hidlay
Ty Walz
Ben Darmstadt
Iowa needs a recruiting coordinator. Kemmdog Would be great I think at that. Might need to be someone more experienced but I know everyone who talks to him ends up loving him.

125 - Deluca
133 - Ayala
141- Bassett
149- triple v/Block/Rathjen
157- Caliendo
165- Kennedy
174- Arnold
184- Ferrari
197- Ferrari/ Franklin
285- Big Ben
With no transfers and one big recruit
PSU in 2026:

125 Desmond > DeLuca (just beat him at prep nationals)
133 Lilledahl > Ayala
141 Kasak > ??? (Bassett still in HS)
149 SVN > Block (or the others - Block should win the spot here)
157 Mesenbrink > Caliendo
165 Haines > Kennedy
174 Sealey/Duke vs Arnold - Push
184 Barr/Ryder vs Ferrari - Push, maybe slight advantage Ferrari
197 Mirasola > Franklin (AJ will never wrestle again)
HWT Mirasola vs Ben - Push

Where are you seeing the advantage?

PSU in 2026:

133 Lilledahl > Ayala
165 Haines > Kennedy

I would say Arnold would be more of a favorite with experience. All the others are nuts on. Iowa does not hold an advantage at all in that head to head.

Reactions: el dub
Consider yourself here for a second grip. If at your place of employment you had a stated goal and an expectation, yet you met that goal 1 out of the last 14 years, while a co-worker of yours accomplished that goal year in and year out. Would your boss consider replacing you with someone that very successful co-worker has trained. I think we both know that answer.

We’ve had time to adjust, it doesn not seem like it’s happening. I did not come by this realization easily. If someone as dynamic as a DT comes along we need to put our line in the water and see if he’s biting. It’s not change for the sake of change, it’s change that could propel Iowa back to where they should and we expect them to be. Change is never easy, but often times it’s for the best.
An incredibly terrible analogy when that worker is closer to his goals than the 74 other employees not meeting their goals EVER and only 1 other making it once with plenty of years being CONSIDERABLY worse.

Look, I get many want change. I even understand why. I just am NOT someone to endorse the change when I see NO ONE with the experience and track record to even remotely believe they are very likely to do better. In fact, I simply see no evidence they wouldn’t do worse…

I would say Arnold would be more of a favorite with experience. All the others are nuts on. Iowa does not hold an advantage at all in that head to head.
That's possible. Sealey and Duke both are or were at one point the #1 overall PFP in their respective classes, so neither will be that far behind, though. Facundo is another possibility there, although my intuition is that he's going to be the one squeezed out of the lineup.

Reactions: Hawkgma
PSU in 2026:

133 Lilledahl > Ayala
165 Haines > Kennedy

You have no vision

Back to the original question, I'm guessing it might be 20+ years or when Cael decides he's had enough to hang it up. Sure, some random team might capture lightning in a bottle one year and pull off the unexpected at Nationals, but it's not very likely.

I realize no one wants to hear any of this, but I think it's the most likely scenario. Success breeds success and without something unexpected upsetting the apple cart, it's unlikely anything changes.

An incredibly terrible analogy when that worker is closer to his goals than the 74 other employees not meeting their goals EVER and only 1 other making it once with plenty of years being CONSIDERABLY worse.

Look, I get many want change. I even understand why. I just am NOT someone to endorse the change when I see NO ONE with the experience and track record to even remotely believe they are very likely to do better. In fact, I simply see no evidence they wouldn’t do worse…
The only that matters to Iowa wrestling is team and individual championships. When that is your stated goal, and you’ve fallen short you’ve failed. I don’t care about finishing second. I don’t think Tom will say that he’s the 2nd best coach the past 14 years either. I think he’ll say he needs to do better.

Do not compare Iowa wrestling to the other teams that are also failing. We. Ain’t. Them. The other teams are, quite frankly, irrelevant to this conversation. The only two teams that are relevant to this conversation is psu, and Iowa.

As for you not being able to see anyone with the experience that could be hired, well I’m glad you’re not the one tasked with finding them. What experience did gable have before Iowa. None. When he came to the program within months he was leading practice.

Wrestling is a different sport. It’s not X’s and O’s It’s feeling and reacting. A coach can learn the administration part of the job, you can’t teach the other part. If DT has it. It’s worth exploring.

The only that matters to Iowa wrestling is team and individual championships. When that is your stated goal, and you’ve fallen short you’ve failed. I don’t care about finishing second. I don’t think Tom will say that he’s the 2nd best coach the past 14 years either. I think he’ll say he needs to do better.

Do not compare Iowa wrestling to the other teams that are also failing. We. Ain’t. Them. The other teams are, quite frankly, irrelevant to this conversation. The only two teams that are relevant to this conversation is psu, and Iowa.

As for you not being able to see anyone with the experience that could be hired, well I’m glad you’re not the one tasked with finding them. What experience did gable have before Iowa. None. When he came to the program within months he was leading practice.

Wrestling is a different sport. It’s not X’s and O’s It’s feeling and reacting. A coach can learn the administration part of the job, you can’t teach the other part. If DT has it. It’s worth exploring.
Again, you were the one that made a TERRIBLE work place analogy, not me. Even then, I am not arguing against having very high expectations for Iowa, just the terrible analogy is even worse if you only have 2 employees competing for the exact same goal. 1 will ALWAYS fail. Should you constantly be firing 1? Is the goal to have them each doing it half the time? If one of them is that good why even waste resources on the 2nd one?

Second, Gable started as an assistant coach, GAINED valuable experience and PROVED he could do it BEFOREHAND. That is miles different than brooming a program clean and starting from scratch as a head coach with ZERO DI coaching experience...

What do you mean you ain't them, kind of looks like you are. This is the Notre Dame syndrome where the fan base buys into a legend long gone. Of course what other teams are doing is not relevant with what Iowa needs to do to get better. What Iowa needs to do to get better isn't affected by what say Cornell is doing.

To climb back on top in near impossible because PSU has now become a monolith similar to what Gable did at Iowa. But the difference is that it's going on now in the country's most fertile recruiting area. You have a legend in wrestling who started coaching but at a school that looked like it was around top 5 or so then. I believe he won in his first season also.

Sanderson came in and in his second season he won, snapping Iowa's 3 season streak and has gone on a Gable like run since then. Gable built the machine, Sanderson built another one and with what he's done at PSU will carry on for some time now. Past history is pretty irrelevant to what needs to be done now. To bypass PSU will be near impossible in the near future just like it was with Iowa in the Gable tenure.

Again, you were the one that made a TERRIBLE work place analogy, not me. Even then, I am not arguing against having very high expectations for Iowa, just the terrible analogy is even worse if you only have 2 employees competing for the exact same goal. 1 will ALWAYS fail. Should you constantly be firing 1? Is the goal to have them each doing it half the time? If one of them is that good why even waste resources on the 2nd one?

Second, Gable started as an assistant coach, GAINED valuable experience and PROVED he could do it BEFOREHAND. That is miles different than brooming a program clean and starting from scratch as a head coach with ZERO DI coaching experience...
100% correct. And when you're talking about who to hire to compete against one of the best ever that talent pool drastically shrinks.

When he started as an assistant coach Gable was running practice within week's. The most important aspect of his job (aside from recruiting) he was skilled at from the very beginning.

It’s your opinion that the analogy i made was poor. I don’t care that you have that opinion, I made a simple analogy. It’s not perfect but I’m not going to waste time on that pointless debate with you. Ask Tom what his goal is each year. He will tell you, win. He’s done that once in the last 14 yrs. If Iowas goal is to win consistently then they have consistently failed their goal. To expect different results while maintaining status quo is the very definition of insanity. A change needs to be made at some level. I’m not sure that change can happen with the Brands at the helm.

Believe me, I’d love to be wrong. I’m a fan of Tom and Terry. Yet, there is now evidence to suggest that things aren’t trending up as we expected them to just a few short years ago.

I’ve said my piece. These are my thoughts. Take them or leave them MSU.

What do you mean you ain't them, kind of looks like you are. This is the Notre Dame syndrome where the fan base buys into a legend long gone. Of course what other teams are doing is not relevant with what Iowa needs to do to get better. What Iowa needs to do to get better isn't affected by what say Cornell is doing.

To climb back on top in near impossible because PSU has now become a monolith similar to what Gable did at Iowa. But the difference is that it's going on now in the country's most fertile recruiting area. You have a legend in wrestling who started coaching but at a school that looked like it was around top 5 or so then. I believe he won in his first season also.

Sanderson came in and in his second season he won, snapping Iowa's 3 season streak and has gone on a Gable like run since then. Gable built the machine, Sanderson built another one and with what he's done at PSU will carry on for some time now. Past history is pretty irrelevant to what needs to be done now. To bypass PSU will be near impossible in the near future just like it was with Iowa in the Gable tenure.
Iowas expectation is to win every single year. How many other schools can you say that applies to. Maybe 5 total. Yet those schools also have “punt years.” That’s what I mean. Just because our level has been on par with the “Jones’s” doesn’t mean that we should accept that. That’s loser talk.

When he started as an assistant coach Gable was running practice within week's. The most important aspect of his job (aside from recruiting) he was skilled at from the very beginning.

It’s your opinion that the analogy i made was poor. I don’t care that you have that opinion, I made a simple analogy. It’s not perfect but I’m not going to waste time on that pointless debate with you. Ask Tom what his goal is each year. He will tell you, win. He’s done that once in the last 14 yrs. If Iowas goal is to win consistently then they have consistently failed their goal. To expect different results while maintaining status quo is the very definition of insanity. A change needs to be made at some level. I’m not sure that change can happen with the Brands at the helm.

Believe me, I’d love to be wrong. I’m a fan of Tom and Terry. Yet, there is now evidence to suggest that things aren’t trending up as we expected them to just a few short years ago.

Sorry if I came off as too heavy handed on the analogy. It just came off to me as being so far from the actual situation that it sparked me a bit.

As far as change goes, I absolutely do agree. In fact, I have argued over and over how I hate that they are so dependent on inside ties and short offense, which is now defended VERY WELL by almost all of DI. Trying to simply teach "clean finishes" in those positions is now very short sighted because of how defense has evovled in those positions. NOW, it mandates learning how to scramble AND finish once someone catches an ankle or locks the crotch and starts to sit the corner.

But, that doesn't mean I think there are coaches out there right now that are better than Brands. They simply MUST adapt and evolve in certain areas and almost certainly need to add coaches that are well-versed in these areas and, MORE IMPORTANTLY, very good at teaching it...

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Iowas expectation is to win every single year. How many other schools can you say that applies to. Maybe 5 total. Yet those schools also have “punt years.” That’s what I mean. Just because our level has been on par with the “Jones’s” doesn’t mean that we should accept that. That’s loser talk.
Expectations are often unrealistic and that's why I mentioned ND football. Iowa has won in recent memory unlike ND. Of course they have made the playoff a few times in recent memory and got smoked but the fans are still living in the past and they have made it a tough place to coach.

The time to make positive changes was around 2008 or so when no one thought they were necessary. Now it's going to be impossible to make them and get where the fans want to get which I assume is the level or close to Gable's success. Doesn't mean they shouldn't try to get better, it just means no matter what is done no fan will be happy in the short term.

Gable was running the "training part of practice" within weeks. He was not putting together a practice plan and running practice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT