ADVERTISEMENT

NFL and NFL fans need to better

The litigation stemming from this will be interesting.

So, some fans might sue the NFL because they chose to go to the game? If I was a judge I would dismiss that case.

Yes, they bought a ticket and wanted to see the game. But they weren't obligated to go.

What is the NFL supposed to do in this situation? Postponing the game would mess up the playoffs. Move the game to Miami? Doesn't seem fair.

It's a tough situation for sure, and I feel bad for those that will have amputations. But, I'm not sure how you fix it.

So, some fans might sue the NFL because they chose to go to the game? If I was a judge I would dismiss that case.

Yes, they bought a ticket and wanted to see the game. But they weren't obligated to go.

What is the NFL supposed to do in this situation? Postponing the game would mess up the playoffs. Move the game to Miami? Doesn't seem fair.

It's a tough situation for sure, and I feel bad for those that will have amputations. But, I'm not sure how you fix it.
Regular season should start in late July.
Football shouldn't be played when it's dead middle.of winter, it degrades the product way too much.

I said at the time they should have moved the game to the daytime. It would have been a 10 degree difference IIRC. I don't know if it would have made a difference but at least it would have looked like they were trying to make it better instead of appeasing the first ever streaming playoff game on Peacock in primetime.

That's wild, and honestly kind of sad. I'm leaning pretty hard on the side of "if you cant dress well enough for the weather you should have stayed home" because it was dangerously cold.

But there is a slight part of me that thinks the Chiefs and the NFL could have done a little bit better not putting fans in that situation.

Reactions: Tenacious E

I didn’t say it would be victorious, I said it would be interesting. You are probably right, but there are concepts of premises liability, attractive nuisance, contracts of adhesion, gross negligence, etc. that a creative lawyer could advance.

Insanity abounds.
This Florida girl sat through an Eagles playoff game almost 50 years ago when it was 11 degrees and windy.
I sat through a Peach Bowl in a dress and high heels in college. 17 balmy degrees.
I still have all toes and fingers.
Buncha sissies.

Reactions: The Tradition
That's wild, and honestly kind of sad. I'm leaning pretty hard on the side of "if you cant dress well enough for the weather you should have stayed home" because it was dangerously cold.

But there is a slight part of me that thinks the Chiefs and the NFL could have done a little bit better not putting fans in that situation.
How?

Insanity abounds.
This Florida girl sat through an Eagles playoff game almost 50 years ago when it was 11 degrees and windy.
I sat through a Peach Bowl in a dress and high heels in college. 17 balmy degrees.
I still have all toes and fingers.
Buncha sissies.
It was -4 with a -27 wind chill.

That's a good question. I don't really know. Again, I'm mostly in the camp if you can't dress for it, don't go.

However, the nation got caught up in the flashy headlines of coldest game ever, but should they have stopped to think that it's prob not a good idea to invite thousands of people out in in that weather?

It is not without precedent that the NFL has moved games due to weather. Once could argue they should have done so in this instance, and that they were at least partially at fault, under counts of negligence and gross negligence. Throw in a little premises liability and a contract of adhesion counter to the affirmative defense that the fans contractually waived the NFL’s negligence by accepting the fine print on the ticket, and it’s at least interesting. This is off the top of my head. There are other legal concepts at play. At the end of the day though, it is probably like a fan getting smoked by a foul ball who wasn’t watching the batter.

It is not without precedent that the NFL has moved games due to weather. Once could argue they should have done so in this instance, and that they were at least partially at fault, under counts of negligence and gross negligence. Throw in a little premises liability and a contract of adhesion counter to the affirmative defense that the fans contractually waived the NFL’s negligence by accepting the fine print on the ticket, and it’s at least interesting. This is off the top of my head. There are other legal concepts at play. At the end of the day though, it is probably like a fan getting smoked by a foul ball who wasn’t watching the batter.
They did it just that weekend for the Bills and all their snow.

Buffalo postponed a game out of concern for the safety of the fans due to weather this year. I'm ok with this because the only reason this wasn't postponed imo was due to the streaming exclusivity

Reactions: mnole03
Nah. You need to treat NFL fans at a tailgate like Admiralty law treats sailors on shore leave.

They’re too dumb and drunk to be responsible for their actions. The NFL is vicariously liable.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawk_4shur

Don’t disagree, but once a lady successfully sued McDonald’s after she spilled hot coffee in her lap, anything is possible.

I might have missed it, but "70%" is kind of a useless statistic without any other figures. 70% of the people who needed medical services. How many needed medical services?

Reactions: Funky Bunch
Nah. You need to treat NFL fans at a tailgate like Admiralty law treats sailors on shore leave.

They’re too dumb and drunk to be responsible for their actions. The NFL is vicariously liable.
So the guy in the article that took off his gloves for only a few minutes to set up a tent was too dumb and drunk?

I went to the US vs Honduras soccer game two years ago that was colder than that. I believe I had at least 6 layers on top and 4 on bottom with 2 pairs of socks and boots. Scarf, hat, hoodies. It was freaking crazy cold but you have to dress for the occasion.

The one good thing is that a soccer game is going to be 2 hours and then done. No tv timeouts, clock continues on stoppages.

What am I supposed to change my mind about?
I bet you’re smart enough to figure it out. McDonald’s ignored 700 previous complaints. She suffered 3 degree burns (the worst kind) through sweatpants because their policy was to hold the temp of coffee at 190 degrees which can cause 3rd degree burns through sweat pants. They offered to settle for $20k, but McDonald’s refused, and refused to change their policies, so off to trial they went. They found her partially at fault, but awarded punitive damages because McDonald’s refused to change its policy and not have coffee hot enough to cause 3rd degree burns. If that doesn’t make sense to you, you probably think OSHA is dumb and workers injured on the job had it coming to them, even if their employers could have made procedural changes avoiding 700 employees having 3rd degree burns and skin grafts so their coffee would stay “fresh” a few minutes longer.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Years ago I went to a cold Michigan at Iowa game. Iowa 2nd half comeback W. It wasn’t this cold but by the end of the game and for a few hours after the game I couldn’t feel my feet. I felt it was my fault for wearing thin tennis shoes and normal Hanes type socks.

Some of the people who attended the near-record cold Kansas City Chiefs playoff game in January had to undergo amputations after suffering frostbite, a Missouri hospital said Friday.

Research Medical Center didn’t provide exact numbers but said in a statement that it treated dozens of people who had experienced frostbite during an 11-day cold snap in January. Twelve of those people – including some who were at the 13 January game – had to undergo amputations involving mostly fingers and toes. And the hospital said more surgeries are expected over the next two to four weeks as “injuries evolve”

So, no report of how many were at the game, just "some".

I bet you’re smart enough to figure it out. McDonald’s ignored 700 previous complaints. She suffered 3 degree burns (the worst kind) through sweatpants because their policy was to hold the temp of coffee at 190 degrees which can cause 3rd degree burns through sweat pants. They offered to settle for $20k, but McDonald’s refused, and refused to change their policies, so off to trial they went. They found her partially at fault, but awarded punitive damages because McDonald’s refused to change its policy and not have coffee hot enough to cause 3rd degree burns. If that doesn’t make sense to you, you probably think OSHA is dumb and workers injured on the job had it coming to them, even if their employers could have made procedural changes avoiding 700 employees having 3rd degree burns and skin grafts so their coffee would stay “fresh” a few minutes longer.
Okay. You’re assuming a lot here.

First off, I was simply referencing in earlier precedent in which a company could be held liable for injuries despite a person’s freedom of choice. In 1992, the idea someone could spill coffee in their own lap then sue and win was laughable. Today, not so much. So, I think there is some parallels to that case as far as the NFL being held liable for not canceling a game when knowing full well the temperature was going to be dangerously low.

Second, I understand the position of the poster whom I responded to and said as much. My point to him, however, was, again, about a precedent from over 30 years ago. And, as you pointed out, it was a precedent not entirely without merit. McDonald’s should have changed their coffee policy a long time ago just as the NFL probably should have postponed the game. Yes, people should have made better choices about either ensuring they had enough clothing on or should have stayed home entirely, but I also believe the NFL should have done the right thing and postponed the game. I believe this is a case of two things being true at the same time.

So, again, what should I be changing my mind about?

lol the cheifs “put” no one in any situation

So the guy in the article that took off his gloves for only a few minutes to set up a tent was too dumb and drunk?
Yes, if you take your gloves off in -4 degrees for five minutes, you’re just too dumb.

Frostbite doesn’t sneak up on you. This guy was in extreme pain for minutes and just kept going, because he needed his tent to tailgate in -4 degrees.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Okay. You’re assuming a lot here.

First off, I was simply referencing in earlier precedent in which a company could be held liable for injuries despite a person’s freedom of choice. In 1992, the idea someone could spill coffee in their own lap then sue and win was laughable. Today, not so much. So, I think there is some parallels to that case as far as the NFL being held liable for not canceling a game when knowing full well the temperature was going to be dangerously low.

Second, I understand the position of the poster whom I responded to and said as much. My point to him, however, was, again, about a precedent from over 30 years ago. And, as you pointed out, it was a precedent not entirely without merit. McDonald’s should have changed their coffee policy a long time ago just as the NFL probably should have postponed the game. Yes, people should have made better choices about either ensuring they had enough clothing on or should have stayed home entirely, but I also believe the NFL should have done the right thing and postponed the game. I believe this is a case of two things being true at the same time.

So, again, what should I be changing my mind about?
I inferred from your post that you believed the lawsuit was frivolous, from your “anything is is possible” because a lady once sued McDonald’s for spilling hot coffee on lap. Was I supposed to interpret that differently?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT