ADVERTISEMENT

NFL stars could get chance to play flag football at 2028 Olympics in Los Angeles

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
If Tyreek Hill and other NFL players want to switch to flag football for a summer and compete in the Olympics, the possibility is becoming more real.

NFL executive Peter O’Reilly said Tuesday the league will work with the players’ union on allowing current and former players to participate after flag football was among five sports officially added to the 2028 Los Angeles Games by the International Olympic Committee.

“It is the pinnacle of sport globally,” O’Reilly said at the league meetings. “Ultimately, that decision on the makeup of Team USA is a decision of USA Football and the national governing body or the governing bodies around the world in similar roles because we are thinking about Team USA, but there are also a lot of other passports in the NFL — 113 foreign-born players on NFL rosters as of Week 5.

“So, that opportunity for athletes to represent their countries, we understand the desire, what they have spoken out about and what we will continue to do is work with the players, (NFL) Players Association and the clubs in the time ahead to determine the process and then work with USA Football and IFAF on that.”

Hill, the Miami Dolphins’ All-Pro wide receiver, expressed his interest after the official announcement, asking fellow NFL players to “bring one home” in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter.

“You know how amazing it would be to assemble a super team to play in the Olympics,” Hill later said on his podcast.

The NFL has worked hard to promote flag football and pushed for its inclusion in the Olympics. Last year, the league turned its annual Pro Bowl into a weeklong series of competitions culminating with the AFC-NFC all-stars playing flag football.

“We’re committed to growing flag football around the world,” O’Reilly said. “The Olympic decision accelerates that. We do see it as a long-term commitment as we move forward. And it’s not just about 2028 and that July, it’s about the next four years and how we, our clubs, IFAF take advantage of that opportunity to really grow this game, allow more girls and boys around the world to get a ball in their hands, get a flag belt on, and grow what we’re doing.”

I’d love to see it used for the recently retired guys. I’d love to see a trips package with Megatron, Fitz and Edelman. With Revis and Sherman locking down the other side.

This is likely the only time flag football will ever be part of the Olympics. I never knew it was even played in other countries.

I want to see us go all out on this. I want to see Patrick Mahomes throwing passes to Justin Jefferson against some dudes from Poland that would likely be destroyed by any average high school team from the US. I mean, it's flag football, it's not like the risk of injury to these players is any greater than what they would be doing normally in the offseason.

Edwards was chosen by the New England Patriots in the first round of the 1998 NFL Draft. He rushed for 1,115 yards for the Patriots in the 1998 National Football League season, before blowing out his knee at an NFL rookie flag football game in Hawaii during Pro Bowl week. Edwards barely escaped the injury without having his leg amputated below the knee, and he was told he might not walk again.

I’d love to see it used for the recently retired guys. I’d love to see a trips package with Megatron, Fitz and Edelman. With Revis and Sherman locking down the other side.
Oh god no. The events would be interminable with injury time outs.

Flag football in the Olympics. . .

This aught to be an easy gold guys. Flag football or real football. What other country plays it as much as we do?

I mean we could get college football players and win it. We could probably get the top high school recruits in the nation and win it.

Reactions: cigaretteman
This is likely the only time flag football will ever be part of the Olympics. I never knew it was even played in other countries.

I want to see us go all out on this. I want to see Patrick Mahomes throwing passes to Justin Jefferson against some dudes from Poland that would likely be destroyed by any average high school team from the US. I mean, it's flag football, it's not like the risk of injury to these players is any greater than what they would be doing normally in the offseason.

If we got the NFL all stars playing this game we would probably win every game 140 to 0.

• Love
Reactions: NDallasRuss
Edwards was chosen by the New England Patriots in the first round of the 1998 NFL Draft. He rushed for 1,115 yards for the Patriots in the 1998 National Football League season, before blowing out his knee at an NFL rookie flag football game in Hawaii during Pro Bowl week. Edwards barely escaped the injury without having his leg amputated below the knee, and he was told he might not walk again.
So one guy 25 years ago? Well, shut the whole thing down.

Canada could probably put together a respectable team using CFL players. They would still be no match for NFL players, but it wouldn’t be 140-0 either.

To be fair you are right here. Although it should be noted that a lot but certainly not all CFL players are Americans who were not up to NFL level.

People have said before that the NFL needs a minor league and I've always countered that the CFL is essentially the minor league for the NFL.

What are the rules to this version of flag football? Is it essentially 7on7? Or do they have linemen and pass rushers? Will you have a middle linebacker counting to five Mississippi?

Does everyone have to play offense and defense? Or can you sub out when possession changes?

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
NFL players might not have much of an advantage if there’s no contact.

The biggest stars in our football division in college were non-scholarship basketball players and walk-on TEs.

We could level the playing field by letting NFL players participate but making Brian Ferentz the offensive coordinator.

NFL players might not have much of an advantage if there’s no contact.

The biggest stars in our football division in college were non-scholarship basketball players and walk-on TEs.

Disagree, NFL passing systems and quarterbacks are insanely elite.

Throwing a football well is a skill that foreigners just have not developed. Then you have the level of scheming put into it plus the skill of the WR's in making cuts and breaks. Even without contact they would destroy them.

With things like blocking, it would be murder.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT