ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Rakocevic

icparkerhawk

HR MVP
Nov 23, 2011
Iowa City
I see where the 6'10" class of '16 PF is visiting for the game today. Anyone know where we stand with him? If we're sitting well, does that impact the need/desire for a big in the '15 class?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I would look at him as the replacement for Uthoff, so I would not think it would impact 2015 plans...

I know it's too much to hope, but we got a commit last year from Brandon Hutton right after the last regular season game.
smile.r191677.gif

Originally posted by lonewolf52:
Originally posted by hooper56:
I would look at him as the replacement for Uthoff, so I would not think it would impact 2015 plans...

Agreed
I agree he shouldn't impact 2015 plans, but if he would be anyone's "replacement" it would be Woodbury's at center. Unless you want 6'7" Wagner playing the 5

Originally posted by Mitch122:

Agreed

I agree he shouldn't impact 2015 plans, but if he would be anyone's "replacement" it would be Woodbury's at center. Unless you want 6'7" Wagner playing the 5

That could very well be, but Rakocevic's game is a lot like Uthoff's and not at all like Woody's. This kid is more of a stretch 4. Honestly, Fran getting about 6-8 guys just like him on the roster together is exactly what I'm hoping for.

Originally posted by SSG T:

Agreed

That could very well be, but Rakocevic's game is a lot like Uthoff's and not at all like Woody's. This kid is more of a stretch 4. Honestly, Fran getting about 6-8 guys just like him on the roster together is exactly what I'm hoping for.

I believe they still need a replacement for Woody but this kid addresses other needs

Agreed

I agree with you. However, I think he a good frame to put on weight so he won't remain a twig like Uthoff has. Think Kaminsky type of player. Speaking of, I hope he doesn't end up at Wisconsin

Originally posted by icparkerhawk:
I see where the 6'10" class of '16 PF is visiting for the game today. Anyone know where we stand with him? If we're sitting well, does that impact the need/desire for a big in the '15 class?
I know will not slam the door on big size talent, Rakocevic will never be what Aaron White or Jarrod Uthoff is. Nick is a thin post man like Gabe with Woody's vertical jump. Trust me, the kid from Illinois who Hawk fans will want to see at Carver alot is Rapolas Ivanauskas. 6'9" + growing. Very good shooter and scorer. Great motor and three point shooting range. Like Nick, Rap needs about 20 to 25 lbs of size.

I am not saying Nick is not good or desirable but that Rap is more talented and better fill in for AW/JU/ Dom.

This post was edited on 3/7 4:06 PM by TheHawkeyeDudeAbides

Originally posted by TheHaw...Abides:

I know will not slam the door on big size talent, Rakocevic will never be what Aaron White or Jarrod Uthoff is. Nick is a thin post man like Gabe with Woody's vertical jump. Trust me, the kid from Illinois who Hawk fans will want to see at Carver alot is
Rapolas Ivanauskas. 6'9" + growing. Very good shooter and scorer. Great motor and three point shooting range. Like Nick, Rap needs about 20 to 25 lbs of size.

I am not saying Nick is not good or desirable but that Rap is more talented and better fill in for AW/JU/ Dom.

I hate to channel Herbie, but you realize Rakocevic is a 4* and ranked in the top 70 and Ivanauskas is an unranked 3*. So is all of the talent evaluators wrong?

Don't get me wrong, I'd take both of them in a heartbeat as they are both the type of player I like, but guys who make money rating players all have Rakocevic being better.

add top 100 4* Santos and top 70 4* Rackovic would be a great start in replacing Woody, Uthoff then figure in TOP 150 Pemsyl who has been reported to be 6'8 235 lbs and is still growing even if he only gets to 6'9 he will make a good replacement for White, a year late but still will strengthen the Front court.

IA needs 2 6'10+ players

Here is trivia to get you all ready in case Nick commits to Iowa: what country has most NBA players (percentage of population)?

The answer: Republic of Montenegro.

Well, I do not know thus for sure, but country of 600,000 people currently has 3 players that contribute significantly:
Nikola Vucevic (Orlando, Magic, 20ppg), Nikola Mirotic (Chicago Bulls, 8ppg), and Nikola Pekovic (Minnesota Timberwolves, 13ppg). Note: Not all men in Montenegro are called Nikola :)

How is this related to Nick? His last name indicates his father is from Montenegro - Rakocevic live in Montenegro only.
Montenegrins are the tallest people in Europe. Country is all mountains, you have to be tall to see over :)

Montenegro means "Black Mountains"

This post was edited on 3/7 6:41 PM by RoundRock620

This post was edited on 3/7 6:42 PM by RoundRock620

This post was edited on 3/7 6:42 PM by RoundRock620

Originally posted by TheHaw...Abides:

I know will not slam the door on big size talent, Rakocevic will never be what Aaron White or Jarrod Uthoff is. Nick is a thin post man like Gabe with Woody's vertical jump. Trust me, the kid from Illinois who Hawk fans will want to see at Carver alot is
Rapolas Ivanauskas. 6'9" + growing. Very good shooter and scorer. Great motor and three point shooting range. Like Nick, Rap needs about 20 to 25 lbs of size.

I hate to channel Herbie, but you realize Rakocevic is a 4* and ranked in the top 70 and Ivanauskas is an unranked 3*. So is all of the talent evaluators wrong?

Don't get me wrong, I'd take both of them in a heartbeat as they are both the type of player I like, but guys who make money rating players all have Rakocevic being better.

This is a good time to talk rankings. Do not be surprised when Ivanauskas see his rankings skyrocket. I'm not going to dig up stuff, but I have read where he is coming on extremely strong.

Which is exactly why..."I'd take both of them in a heartbeat", you are right. If McCaffery wants a player, we want that player.

I'd love to have Rakocevic commit tomorrow. Although he's slender, he's got some great post moves and a great frame,which is why he's often considered a C prospect.

However another F/C prospect named Nick in which I'm interested is Nick Ward. We've visited him before and this week and he is on offer. Here is a video link. Check out the above the rim blocks and especially the off the dribble moves starting at the 2:15 mark in the vid.

Nick Ward

expect to see Pemsyl to go up in the rankings. Fran has also offered 6'10 240 lbs rated 47th overall C Sedee Keita out of South Carolina.

the 2016 class is going to be a interesting one to watch as it fills up.

Keita was offered when he was playing with KJ Santos in Vermont. He's since moved to different prep school in SC but sounds like Temple is team to beat as his parents are residing in Philly and he's wanting to be close to them.

thx, a run into the NCAA's like to the sweet 16 and the door opens up wider. there are other 6'10 top 150 players available at the center position Brunk 6'10 230 lbs out of Minnesota rated 136 overall has a offer.

Does Nick have an older brother at Iowa? I read a tweet that said he was looking forward to seeing his big bro today while on the visit.

Originally posted by GunnerHawk:

Does Nick have an older brother at Iowa? I read a tweet that said he was looking forward to seeing his big bro today while on the visit.
He was calling Isaiah Moss his Big Bro. They each were visiting this weekend.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

thx, a run into the NCAA's like to the sweet 16 and the door opens up wider. there are other 6'10 top 150 players available at the center position Brunk 6'10 230 lbs out of Minnesota rated 136 overall has a offer.
Joey Brunk is from Indy, IN. Brock Bertram is from Minnesota.

Give Iowa recruits PF/C Tyler Cook, and PF/SF Rapolas Ivanauskas, PG Micah Bradford with Cordell Pemsl and Iowa will be on the road to a great class. KJ Santos needs to prove that he can stay healthy. If a fifth scholarship is available, Santos or another C prospect.

Hoping Isaiah Moss and Andrew Fleming can produce enough to cover much of White's scoring. If each earn just 8 ppg then Iowa will be tough. I see Uhl, Jok, Ellingson, and Uthoff producing more stats. Jok needs a stop and pop midrange shot added to his arsenal. Praying for a 5th year transfer big man to help spell Woody.

This post was edited on 3/8 8:28 AM by TheHawkeyeDudeAbides

Originally posted by CanadaHawk:
I'd love to have Rakocevic commit tomorrow.  Although he's slender, he's got some great post moves and a great frame,which is why he's often considered a C prospect. 

However another F/C prospect named Nick in which I'm interested is Nick Ward.  We've visited him before and this week and he is on offer.  Here is a video link.  Check out the above the rim blocks and especially the off the dribble moves starting at the 2:15 mark in the vid. 

Link: Nick Ward[/URL]
Yes please. Is that the same AAU team as Wagner?

Dan,

Thanks for clarifying the Big Bro comment. How does Nick and Isaiah know each other? Did they play AAU ball together?

As far as I know, Gunner, Rakocevic played AAU ball for Mac Irvin Fire and Moss played for Playground Elite.

But these kids and their twitters, they all seem to know each other somehow. I was just reading today about a game between St. Josephs (Glynn Watson, Nebraska and Rakocevic among others) against De La Salle (Our Brandon Hutton, a kid committed to Loyola)

I like "lurking" the twitters of these guys. And I'm getting pretty good at interpreting them. Problem, they are still sixteen, seventeen year old kids so I can interpret, and still not understand a thing.

Originally posted by DanL53:

As far as I know, Gunner, Rakocevic played AAU ball for Mac Irvin Fire and Moss played for Playground Elite.
It was posted elsewhere (by TK) that Rakocevic, Santos and Charlie Moore (a PG for Morgan Park that Iowa has been in contact with) will all be playing together for Mac Irvin Fire. I'll have to be checking them out if they are any tourneys my son is playing in.

FWIW, I saw where 247 crystal ball has Illinois as a heavy favorite over Wisconsin to get this kid. Looks to be a White/ Uthoff clone so would love to get him.

Dude showed up on @WhiteBBallPains on March 14....looks like he's on the Adam Woodbury vertical jump training plan.

Originally posted by HerkyHopeful:
Dude showed up on @WhiteBBallPains on March 14....looks like he's on the Adam Woodbury vertical jump training plan.
I think the funniest part was he put up a picture of himself getting blocked and cropped out the guy blocking the shot. You can see the ball falling off his fingertips

Originally posted by Curt Furence:

I think the funniest part was he put up a picture of himself getting blocked and cropped out the guy blocking the shot. You can see the ball falling off his fingertips
The kid blocking him looks only 6 foot tall too....

@WhiteBBallPains

Meanwhile the kid reads Herkeyhopeful and Curt Furence's posts and decides Iowa fans are jerks. Forget Iowa.
ohwell.r191677.gif

One never knows.
This post was edited on 3/17 5:56 PM by DanL53

Laughable. Oh I'm sure he has heard it all by now. By the way, Iowa is probably the most represented college team on that twitter handle.

But if a kid's skin isn't thick enough to handle a jab about a picture posted online, I'm not sure that's a type of kid McCaffery would want at a free throw line to seal a game.

Laughable. Oh I'm sure he has heard it all by now. By the way, Iowa is probably the most represented college team on that twitter handle.

But if a kid's skin isn't thick enough to handle a jab about a picture posted online, I'm not sure that's a type of kid McCaffery would want at a free throw line to seal a game.
That's a good point. By now even junior high kids are looking at sports forums like this one and thinking, 'What a bunch of idiots!"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT