ADVERTISEMENT

Re-watched 2023 Iowa at ISU; Cade was pretty good and I hope he can be really good this year

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
The youtube feed popped up and I decided to watch it. I thought at the time of the game that Cade played pretty well. Watching it today he had an above avg day passing. His official stats were 12 of 22 for 135 yards but there were basically 3 pass interference penalties where the ball was on target and the penalty yardage and catches would have made Cade 15 of 25 for 185 yards.

There was also the total bad no call where the ISU defender grabbed Nico by the collar and pulled him down. That should have been about a 30-40 yard PI.

Even many of his incompletions were thrown to be catchable. So I liked the accuracy.

I am pretty positive thinking he can have a very good season.

The youtube feed popped up and I decided to watch it. I thought at the time of the game that Cade played pretty well. Watching it today he had an above avg day passing. His official stats were 12 of 22 for 135 yards but there were basically 3 pass interference penalties where the ball was on target and the penalty yardage and catches would have made Cade 15 of 25 for 185 yards.

There was also the total bad no call where the ISU defender grabbed Nico by the collar and pulled him down. That should have been about a 30-40 yard PI.

Even many of his incompletions were thrown to be catchable. So I liked the accuracy.

If he’s healthy, absolutely he can have a good season.

Watched condensed version not too long ago on YouTube page nohawkeyehuddle (shout-out good page to watch some previous games).

You’re right he did. Made some nice ones to Lachey. Anderson and him had a nice hook up where he climbed the ladder to bring it in.

2 plays he missed would’ve totally changed and not make us sweat out last 2 min. Mid-Late 3rd qtr up 20-3 Anderson had a great out and up on cb and S came up on a route and cade over threw him. Puts more air Anderson had his guy beat so bad could’ve been a 92 yd td. To his defense he threw it with pressure in his face and got hit. Other throw was earlier in the qtr. 3rd and 2 incomplete to the end zone. FB Large slipped out of backfield un covered would’ve gotten us probably inside the 10. Instead we kick fg next play.

I’m cautiously optimistic with brown year in and Lachey back with 3 solid rbs. If cade stays healthy we could, gasp, have a competent decent offense if cade stays healthy. Because he was not playing 100% let alone 70% last year and I understand why coaches played a gimpy cade over our backup.

Good thread. I like his ability to be able to make calls at the line of scrimmage and get us into the right play. I think he'll be a good RPO manager.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
2 plays he missed would’ve totally changed and not make us sweat out last 2 min. Mid-Late 3rd qtr up 20-3 Anderson had a great out and up on cb and S came up on a route and cade over threw him. Puts more air Anderson had his guy beat so bad could’ve been a 92 yd td. To his defense he threw it with pressure in his face and got hit.
The play above you mention is one that was a grab or bump by the ISU Dback as Anderson's double move was great and you are right he was beat. That slight interference by the ISU player where I think Seth then slightly stumbled slowed Anderson up and made the connection miss.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
I'm of the belief the offense could be the best it has been in the last 4-5 years. I am not predicting greatness or anything like that but it will be better. Expect more sustained drives, first downs, and staying on the field longer and taking some pressure off the defense.

I'm of the belief the offense could be the best it has been in the last 4-5 years. I am not predicting greatness or anything like that but it will be better. Expect more sustained drives, first downs, and staying on the field longer and taking some pressure off the defense.
Better than the three worst offenses in world history? I sure as hell hope so!😉

Last edited:
thread inspired me to watch the 30 min youtube version. the play calling was decent, we looked like a normal offensive team, yet we only put up 13 offensive points which was weird. so i looked up the stats and we only had 51 offensive plays entire game. isu had some long clock eating drives that didn’t produce points. basically a textbook old school kf game.

if cade stays healthy we could do some damage this year

Actually putting the ball in the end zone would make a huge difference, plenty of drives had huge hitters only to stall out inside of the 20. Iowa state is a good example of that. Also, it would be nice to see some OL development where cade isn't fading away with every throw being made, he will need a pocket.

I'm really not worried about him being good. I'm worried about his health and the other 10 guys on offense.

He did take Michigan to the playoffs. He's got the tools, but ever QB needs some help.
at the very least, there is a functional back up this year. With his legs, it is even possible he has more upside than cade given his injury history.

thread inspired me to watch the 30 min youtube version. the play calling was decent, we looked like a normal offensive team, yet we only put up 13 offensive points which was weird. so i looked up the stats and we only had 51 offensive plays entire game. isu had some long clock eating drives that didn’t produce points. basically a textbook old school kf game.

YES! That was the game where Matty and their OC actually slow played and ate the clock to their own detriment. Sitting amongst their fans they were all like what the hell are we doing we need to hurry up!

The offense will automatically be better when the opponent isn’t able to stack 8-9 players near the LOS because they know Iowa’s routes and tendencies.

I’ve been critical of Iowa’s OL the past few years but goddamn the opposing D was often reading the play and sending the troops. p-r-e-d-I-c-t-a-b-l-e.

Watched condensed version not too long ago on YouTube page nohawkeyehuddle (shout-out good page to watch some previous games).

You’re right he did. Made some nice ones to Lachey. Anderson and him had a nice hook up where he climbed the ladder to bring it in.

2 plays he missed would’ve totally changed and not make us sweat out last 2 min. Mid-Late 3rd qtr up 20-3 Anderson had a great out and up on cb and S came up on a route and cade over threw him. Puts more air Anderson had his guy beat so bad could’ve been a 92 yd td. To his defense he threw it with pressure in his face and got hit. Other throw was earlier in the qtr. 3rd and 2 incomplete to the end zone. FB Large slipped out of backfield un covered would’ve gotten us probably inside the 10. Instead we kick fg next play.

I’m cautiously optimistic with brown year in and Lachey back with 3 solid rbs. If cade stays healthy we could, gasp, have a competent decent offense if cade stays healthy. Because he was not playing 100% let alone 70% last year and I understand why coaches played a gimpy cade over our backup.
Throw in to your thoughts what appears to be an at least average QB2 with B1G experience as well.....

The offense will automatically be better when the opponent isn’t able to stack 8-9 players near the LOS because they know Iowa’s routes and tendencies.

I’ve been critical of Iowa’s OL the past few years but goddamn the opposing D was often reading the play and sending the troops. p-r-e-d-I-c-t-a-b-l-e.
Guess what: Iowa's D knows its opponents' plays too

Did you have some inside info about the gameplans of both teams, or some expertise in football X's and O's we should know about when considering your evaluation of the play calling?

Did you have endzone or skycam views that allowed you to see coverages, routes, and interior blocking?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT