ADVERTISEMENT

Nike unveils 7 story tribute to Clark ahead of Senior Day

Reactions: Max_Rebo
I'm telling you this is just getting started with Nike. lolol.. at the guys thinking her endorsements are going to fade away. Ain't happening. Nike, Gatorade, State Farm are going to ride this wave for all its worth.....
Who do you think exactly that's disputing this? I feel it's pretty common knowledge that she will make roughly the same initially and then much more after college. All I know is that the bigger the star she is in the pros, the better it will be for us. She only called one college home and I definitely think there will be an effect similar to MJ at UNC.

However, she won't be anywhere near the richest athlete even in the U.S. though. The WNBA won't ever draw enough eyeballs for that to occur but she'll be filthy rich still comparatively to the proletariat and should be amongst the highest paid female athletes of all time by the end of it all.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
I'm telling you this is just getting started with Nike. lolol.. at the guys thinking her endorsements are going to fade away. Ain't happening. Nike, Gatorade, State Farm are going to ride this wave for all its worth.....
Nobody disputes that but the wnba ratings will are a big “if” that will determine her worth going forward.

I have watched more women’s basketball in the last two years than any other sport besides football but I don’t plan on carving out time to watch the WNBA in the summer.

The metrics used by companies are tied to numbers.

Nobody disputes that but the wnba ratings will are a big “if” that will determine her worth going forward.

I have watched more women’s basketball in the last two years than any other sport besides football but I don’t plan on carving out time to watch the WNBA in the summer.

The metrics used by companies are tied to numbers.
I will try to watch CC play...if she is on TV. But that's a big if. I doubt it will ever be appointment viewing for me though as summer can be busy for me and she won't be playing for a team I would naturally cheer for.

The drama created by all her publicity will be as big as the play on the court. We've already seen plenty of resentment and snark. tOSU players openly said they're tired of hearing about her. There will be no shortage of players waiting to take her down a notch. Expect plenty of hard fouls and chippiness.

If you think Taylor Swift gave the NFL a little reality show vibe last season...wait til next year's WNBA. Think Housewive's of ------ combined with basketball. It's a formula that sells with women. The WNBA won't miss the opportunity to cash in and some marketing genius will work this angle.

The drama created by all her publicity will be as big as the play on the court. We've already seen plenty of resentment and snark. tOSU players openly said they're tired of hearing about her. There will be no shortage of players waiting to take her down a notch. Expect plenty of hard fouls and chippiness.

If you think Taylor Swift gave the NFL a little reality show vibe last season...wait til next year's WNBA. Think Housewive's of ------ combined with basketball. It's a formula that sells with women. The WNBA won't miss the opportunity to cash in and some marketing genius will work this angle.
tOSU had a big game ahead of them win at all costs. Of course theyre tired of hearing about her.

Caitlin Clark's final regular-season game with Iowa brings in 3.39 million viewers​

Rhiannon Walker
Rhiannon Walker
·Contributing writer
Updated Tue, March 5, 2024 at 11:31 AM CST·2 min read

Iowa guard Caitlin Clark (22) celebrates after a foul by Ohio State during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game, Sunday, March 3, 2024, in Iowa City, Iowa. (AP Photo/Cliff Jette)

Iowa guard Caitlin Clark played her final regular-season game with the Hawkeyes, and it brought in record viewership. (AP Photo/Cliff Jette) (ASSOCIATED PRESS)

Caitlin Clark's final regular-season game for Iowa was the marquee sports event of the weekend.
It averaged 3.39 million viewers, which was the largest audience for a women's regular-season game in 25 years, according to Sports Media Watch. And at its peak, 4.42 million viewers watched through the end of the game.
Going into senior day, Clark needed 18 points to surpass former LSU great Pete Maravich's record of 3,667 points for the most in Division I history.

In front of a full house at Carver-Hawkeye Arena, Clark finished with 35 points, nine assists and six rebounds and helped No. 6 Iowa defeat No. 2 Ohio State 93-83 on Saturday. The win also snapped the Buckeyes' 15-game winning streak and helped the Hawkeyes split the season series.

Iowa and Ohio State will be the top two teams in the upcoming Big Ten tournament in Minneapolis.
Clark finished the regular season with 3,685 points and her 32.3 points and 8.7 assists this season paced all Division I women's players.

“Honestly, if you would have told me that before my college career started, I would have laughed in your face and been like, 'No, you’re insane,'” Clark said of breaking the mark.

The Hawkeyes-Buckeyes game was watched by more fans than the Boston Celtics' blowout of the Golden State Warriors on the same day. It had more viewership than the first Duke-UNC men's contest (3.2 million) this season, too.

In fact, only one college basketball game this season had a larger audience than Iowa's finale against Ohio State this weekend. Michigan State's men against Arizona on Thanksgiving had a viewership of 5.2 million, but much of that was aided because it came on immediately after an NFL game.

The NASCAR Cup Series at Las Vegas was the only sports event from this weekend to have more viewers (4.36 million) tune in.

Fans were simply invested in seeing the final regular-season chapter of Clark's prolific and record-breaking career in any way they could and that resulted in rarely seen figures for sports viewership.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT