ADVERTISEMENT

NIL and the transfer portal!

r448chlpo

HB All-State
Gold Member
Mar 8, 2017
Powell, Ohio
Each is a barrier to competitive college sports. Together they are deadly to the game as we know it! Proof was Saturdays Iowa- OSU “game”. High financially resourced schools like Ohio State ($20,000,000 team) are simply going to overwhelm schools like Iowa ( what $3,000,000 team) and most others. In five years there will likely be a super conference of the “ big-guys” and everybody else will fight it out among themselves. At both levels, player graduation rates will decline as players transfer among schools with no path to graduation. Kids who do not account for the taxable nature of NIL payments will be financially devastated and along the way be temped to resort to “payoffs” to avoid IRS investigations and sanctions. Coaches will have to balance the interests of NIL funders who are demanding that their player be featured so as to get the benefit of their sponsorship. What a mess! Tell me what I am missing here…

Reactions: ddeanHawk
Each is a barrier to competitive college sports. Together they are deadly to the game as we know it! Proof was Saturdays Iowa- OSU “game”. High financially resourced schools like Ohio State ($20,000,000 team) are simply going to overwhelm schools like Iowa ( what $3,000,000 team) and most others. In five years there will likely be a super conference of the “ big-guys” and everybody else will fight it out among themselves. At both levels, player graduation rates will decline as players transfer among schools with no path to graduation. Kids who do not account for the taxable nature of NIL payments will be financially devastated and along the way be temped to resort to “payoffs” to avoid IRS investigations and sanctions. Coaches will have to balance the interests of NIL funders who are demanding that their player be featured so as to get the benefit of their sponsorship. What a mess! Tell me what I am missing here…
A lot. How much time do you have?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT