ADVERTISEMENT

Northwest Junior High in Coralville reports second bomb threat in two days

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Northwest Junior High in Coralville received another bomb threat Friday morning, after evacuating for a threat Thursday, according to emails sent to parents from the Iowa City Community School District.

The Coralville Police Department was called about the threat at 7:56 a.m. Friday. Police conducted a sweep of the school building, located at 1507 8th St., and cleared students and staff to safely enter before school was scheduled to start.

Both days, the threat came as emails sent to several teachers and staff at the school. Coralville Police Chief Shane Kron said police believe the threats came from the same person both times. Police have not yet identified who sent the emails.

Advertisement

Thursday the threats came after school had already started, and students were evacuated and relocated to the Coralville Recreation Center for a short period of time while police searched the building.

No bombs were found either day.

Parents were given the option to pick their children up from school Friday morning if they chose.

“As always, student and staff safety is our highest priority. We continue to work with local law enforcement to investigate these threats and ensure our buildings are safe for all students and staff,” District Superintendent Matt Degner said in the email sent to parents Friday.

Someone REALLY doesn't want to take that math test.

Seriously, how with today's technology can they not trace this joker?
I’m positive that I started a thread on this subject months ago. These calls have been going on for many months, and they seem to be coming from the same person, but the calls are being routed to avoid tracing. I suppose the Feds are on it now, but whoever is doing it is careful to space out the calls in order to stretch the small resources of school districts and local police departments. Only a few states have something approaching the tools needed to trace the calls, but in reality this needs federal intervention. Some of this may be a copycat, but dozens of calls have been traced to one man with a middle eastern accent. Take your pick as to which nation, if any, is behind the calls.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT