ADVERTISEMENT

Northwest Missouri State

hexumhawk

HR Legend
Sep 24, 2003
North Liberty
I know there was a Ben McCullum thread already, so this is a ice cold Pepsi. I don't care.

NWMS is my alma mater and what he has done there is absolutely insane in BB. He has now won 4 of the last 5 national championships - in a similar tournament format. Think of how crazy that is.

In a perfect world I would have offered him Fran's job yesterday since it sounds like he is going to finally jump to D1. He has Iowa roots and pretty sure was born in Iowa City.

I know there was a Ben McCullum thread already, so this is a ice cold Pepsi. I don't care.

NWMS is my alma mater and what he has done there is absolutely insane in BB. He has now won 4 of the last 5 national championships - in a similar tournament format. Think of how crazy that is.

In a perfect world I would have offered him Fran's job yesterday since it sounds like he is going to finally jump to D1. He has Iowa roots and pretty sure was born in Iowa City.
While what he has done is nothing short of remarkable, it is a very big jump moving from D-1 from D-2. Not that I don't think he can't do the coaching part. Not sure what his recruiting connections are, but obviously that would be his biggest problem. He's won w/under the radar guys, like Hawkins who played like 6 sports in high school or guards that were just a little undersized or maybe a little slow but dominated at the D2 level. I hope he can do it. Seems like a great guy and a helluva coach.

While what he has done is nothing short of remarkable, it is a very big jump moving from D-1 from D-2. Not that I don't think he can't do the coaching part. Not sure what his recruiting connections are, but obviously that would be his biggest problem. He's won w/under the radar guys, like Hawkins who played like 6 sports in high school or guards that were just a little undersized or maybe a little slow but dominated at the D2 level. I hope he can do it. Seems like a great guy and a helluva coach.
Bo Ryan went from doing similar things at D3 Wisconsin-Platteville to ultimately doing big things at Wisconsin. I think he was at one of the smaller D1 state schools for a few years in between but I don't recall at the moment.

Big jump but I always wonder how some of these guys would do if they were given a chance. It seems if you spend any time at a lower level no one thinks you're worthy.

On a related note, since there's a running Lickliter bash thread going on right now I'll mention he hired a D3 guy from Loras in Dubuque for his staff...

Reactions: ClarindaA's
D2 to Big Ten is a massive jump. McCollum is only 40 and should be the number 1 candidate when Fran retires assuming McCollum has made the jump to another D1 school by then.

Reactions: Bank of Hawk
D2 to Big Ten is a massive jump. McCollum is only 40 and should be the number 1 candidate when Fran retires assuming McCollum has made the jump to another D1 school by then.
I think the massive leap is in salary, recruiting, budget and expectations. Not so much when it comes to x's and o's.

Ben's a fellow Storm Lake boy. Has done a great job with the Bearcats!

I think this guy did pretty well after the jump

William “Bo” Ryan made UW-Platteville the premier basketball program during his 15-year tenure, which included four NCAA Division III national championships. He recorded a 353-76 record at UW-Platteville from 1984-99 and his 82.2 winning percentage was the best in the history of NCAA Division III basketball.

I think this guy did pretty well after the jump

William “Bo” Ryan made UW-Platteville the premier basketball program during his 15-year tenure, which included four NCAA Division III national championships. He recorded a 353-76 record at UW-Platteville from 1984-99 and his 82.2 winning percentage was the best in the history of NCAA Division III basketball.
Yes, give Ben the same kind of support and pretty sure he would knock it out of the park at Iowa.

Bo Ryan went from doing similar things at D3 Wisconsin-Platteville to ultimately doing big things at Wisconsin. I think he was at one of the smaller D1 state schools for a few years in between but I don't recall at the moment.

Big jump but I always wonder how some of these guys would do if they were given a chance. It seems if you spend any time at a lower level no one thinks you're worthy.

On a related note, since there's a running Lickliter bash thread going on right now I'll mention he hired a D3 guy from Loras in Dubuque for his staff...
Bo went to UW-Milwaukee for 2 years, but didn't do very well there. Went 15-14 and 15-13 in 2 years. A little surprised Wisconsin offered him but hey I guess it worked out.

You in Clarinda? I lift in Maryville three days a week
No, I'm east of clarinda about 30 miles. Come to clarinda every once in awhile. We used to love the Chinese buffet in clarinda but it has went down hill it seems. The only working out I do is with a fork😟

Not to mention, the last D1 team to play NW and Mac coached team: Duke, who won by six, in Cameron Fieldhouse. No D1 programs will invite NW MO for an exhibition as long as Coach Mac is there.

Bearcats fans can be happy to know that Mac plans to continue in Maryville for at least another season or longer. Whatever D1 program gets him, will get his two sons as well.

Last edited:
Not to mention, the last D1 team to play NW and Mac coached team: Duke, who won by six. No D1 programs will invite NW MO for an exhibition as long as Coach Mac is there.

Bearcats fans can be happy to know that Mac plans to continue in Maryville for at least another season or longer. Whatever D1 program gets him, will get his two sons as well.
Do we have room on the roster for two DII recruits? I'm surprised you didn't point out the Duke game was an exhibition.

Do we have room on the roster for two DII recruits? I'm surprised you didn't point out the Duke game was an exhibition.
Figured it was implied as nearly all D2 v D1 games are exhibitions in the record books.

Ryan Hawkins didn’t to too bad as D2 player making the jump to D1 this year.

High level D2 has many ballers with same or better skill level but the difference is in pure athletic ability and size.

Figured it was implied as nearly all D2 v D1 games are exhibitions in the record books.

Ryan Hawkins didn’t to too bad as D2 player making the jump to D1 this year.

High level D2 has many ballers with same or better skill level but the difference is in pure athletic ability and size.
We would get a lot of guys that were as athletic as high D1 guys but had off the court issues or couldn't mentally handle the grind.

NWMS has been really good for a long time. My youngest was being recruited by coach Tappmeyer back in 2002-2004 and they were a final 4 team most of the time back then. Not to mention they're up there in football almost every year as well. Consistently one of the top D2 athletic programs in America..

They are a power house in football also. I agree, he seems to be doing an awesome job with the basketball team and likely could be a great division 1 coach. I'm only 45 miles from there.
Ditto. They've had it going on in Maryville for a long time now in both sports. Brings up the question, who's the AD there? Hmmmmm......

NWMS has been really good for a long time. My youngest was being recruited by coach Tappmeyer back in 2002-2004 and they were a final 4 team most of the time back then. Not to mention they're up there in football almost every year as well. Consistently one of the top D2 athletic programs in America..

Yeah, I don't see it slowing down much. They have upped their facilities along with a huge new indoor facility a couple of years ago.

Their secret to success imo is they have dominated recruiting in the triangle of Omaha, KC, and DSM. They have gotten a large portion of really good players that weren't quite D1 from that area. They also do a great job of taking kids from schools that have a history of winning.

Reactions: littlez
Yeah, I don't see it slowing down much. They have upped their facilities along with a huge new indoor facility a couple of years ago.

Their secret to success imo is they have dominated recruiting in the triangle of Omaha, KC, and DSM. They have gotten a large portion of really good players that weren't quite D1 from that area. They also do a great job of taking kids from schools that have a history of winning.
Believe me I'm aware of their recruiting. That was ultimately why my son didn't end up at NWMS. After recruiting him for over two years coach told him that even though he was All district and All conference in the KC suburban all four years, (first team as a senior), he couldn't give him a scholorship if our school didn't have a winning season. He said it wouldn't be good for the teams chemistry. At that time before they restructured the suburban conference we were stuck in with the Blue springs, and Lee's summitt schools with enrolements three times the size of our. Our school hadn't had a winning season since the early 70's. Of course a few years later they restructured the conference and we started winning the district quite often. He had a very nice NAIA career and led his team to their first conference title since 93, and first ever sweet 16 run in the NAIA nationals.

Ditto. They've had it going on in Maryville for a long time now in both sports. Brings up the question, who's the AD there? Hmmmmm......
The AD who hired the bball coach is now retired. Then coach Mel came back to NW to AD for a few years and retired. Now they got a younger AD been doing it about 3 years now.

Their football program has been stopped by a school from a Michigan for a number of years in a row now in the playoffs. Can’t get past that team.

But the bball program, in the 64 team national tournament, the first three rounds are all in-region games, win those three and then the final 8 teams across the country meet up to play for the natty. Interesting, the past three championships, which they won, their toughest competition was in their first three games, the in-region games. There is some imbalance clearly with how D2 runs their ncaa tournament; it’s all about the regions and the central region has by far the most talent.

So also be careful what you wish for. Kim Anderson, loyal Missouri Tiger won a D2 championship at Central Missouri State and then plummeted off a cliff at Mizzou as he couldn’t get any talent. Not saying the same thing would happen but you need a recruiter.

Reactions: kceasthawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT