ADVERTISEMENT

Northwestern Starting CB out for "forseeable future"

Oct 12, 2015
Adam Rittenberg ESPN Staff Writer

Northwestern starting CB Matthew Harris is out for the "foreseeable future" after suffering several fractures in his face at Michigan, coach Pat Fitzgerald announced today. Took inadvertent knee to the head and received treatment on the field. He could return in November after bye week. Sophomore Keith Watkins will start for Harris this week against Iowa.

Although I never like to see a kid get injured, this will certainly make things more interesting in Iowa's favor this weekend.

I never saw a replay...but how did he fracture his face with a helmet on? Did it come off or get really twisted?

As the play was ending, Harris was going down, and a Michigan player was coming in hard and his knee hit Harris on the side of the helmet very hard. It definitely looked accidental. Harris went down for a couple of minutes, they brought in all the medical equipment for a concussion , but Harris was back on his feet after a couple of minutes and appeared to be very coherent on the sidelines and after the game. It appeared to be a slight concussion, and the facial fractures were not made public until this morning. The backup, Watkins , is pretty good, and the man behind him, McShepard, has also played well. Harris might be the fastest of them all and will play in the NFL, but the two primary backups are pretty good.

Reactions: gekes
Unfortunate for Harris. Injuries are piling up for a lot of teams halfway through the season.

As the play was ending, Harris was going down, and a Michigan player was coming in hard and his knee hit Harris on the side of the helmet very hard. It definitely looked accidental. Harris went down for a couple of minutes, they brought in all the medical equipment for a concussion , but Harris was back on his feet after a couple of minutes and appeared to be very coherent on the sidelines and after the game. It appeared to be a slight concussion, and the facial fractures were not made public until this morning. The backup, Watkins , is pretty good, and the man behind him, McShepard, has also played well. Harris might be the fastest of them all and will play in the NFL, but the two primary backups are pretty good.

I guess it's safe to say Iowa's receivers will still have their hands full on Saturday. I hope they can get some separation like they did in the Illinois game. CJB is going to have to be more accurate...probably going to have to do a bit more with his legs, too.

Four games in a row the opponent has had a key injury heading in. New Kirk might have some connections, if you know what I'm talking about.

Yeah, we aren't missing 5-6 key guys or anything.

Easy there, buddy. It's just a joke.

That said, I am pleased with our depth this year. The "next man in" is working out so far. Hopefully we get at least one, if not both offensive tackles back this week. Hesse is no Ott, but he's been solid. And Smith, Jerminic for Smith, Tevaun worked pretty good last week.

Easy there, buddy. It's just a joke.

That said, I am pleased with our depth this year. The "next man in" is working out so far. Hopefully we get at least one, if not both offensive tackles back this week. Hesse is no Ott, but he's been solid. And Smith, Jerminic for Smith, Tevaun worked pretty good last week.

Was just saying, and I'm taking it easy, but tired of hearing about our "luck" as well. Hawks have earned what they've accomplished so far, and have been battling injuries to key players all season.

Will everyone please stop being so sensitive? You sound like a bunch of Nebraska fans. I get it, we have injuries too. I was just making a joke.

Was just saying, and I'm taking it easy, but tired of hearing about our "luck" as well. Hawks have earned what they've accomplished so far, and have been battling injuries to key players all season.

lighten%20up%20francis_0.png

Reactions: IACub
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT