ADVERTISEMENT

The Merry-go-round just keeps spinning

That's all well and good... But this is a sports league discussion and there is a reason that the pros have rules in place to keep teams operating on a semi-even playing field. It's better for the GAME and in the end, better for the game.

Salary caps and Contracts.... That's how the NFL levels the playing field. NCAA has nothing to keep the field level, when it comes to buying a team. Just chaos.

The BEST thing about March Madness... Is the Madness of small schools from small conferences beating the large "Goliath" teams. Are we going to see less and less of that when players are leaving these schools at a rate that hasn't been seen before? Time will tell.
I agree that the current system is broken and needs to be changed. It just irks me when people whine about players making money when those players make huge amounts of dough for their school.

Blame the system, not the players getting their fair market value under the current setup.

I agree that the current system is broken and needs to be changed. It just irks me when people whine about players making money when those players make huge amounts of dough for their school.

Blame the system, not the players getting their fair market value under the current setup.
Sure but 1000's of players going free agent EVERY year is only going to destroy the product, and then they have NOTHING......

Completely agree, He wouldn't even start for a lot of teams. He can't possibly get $300,000 for one year, can he?
Yeah, seems a little chunky for his services - maybe he is telling programs to look at his 2nd team All BigTen award…which was probably given to him more for longevity in the league than anything…😎

Reactions: LukaDuka

Ok…I agree with this, and for years I agreed they should be paid. I’ve also said coaching salaries in all leagues should be lower & 25 mill for a NFL QB or hell 15 plus mill for a journeyman relievers insane..

But let’s remember, we have always used “school” cost as the comparative, when in reality it is world class training, 100k at least for 4 years, coaching & exposure 100k, travel, rehabilitation, therapy, medical, etc….

That’s a 500k scholarship period. They weren’t being used. If if we weren’t so damn gaga all over the world about celebrities, sports and athletes, we wouldn’t have this problem, so while you’re pointing your fingers at everybody else point them at yourselves a couple times.

There will have to be some retention mechanism that de-incentivizes all the moving around. It’s too easy to jump ship each year. Why stay anywhere more than a year?

There is going to have to be some sort of transparency or this circus will never end.

Dollars are going to have to be carved out of the schools, conferences and NCAA budgets. Too much administrative fat.

For the schools it is really a marketing expense.

Not sure how to make it fair, but possibly some sort of salary cap. It’s the Wild West right now, not sustainable.

Exactly it's to the point that this is really the only way to right the ship. They will have to be unionized, schools will have salary caps and contracts will be 1-4 years.
NIL will somewhat disappear as college players will be on the pro model. They can still do commercials, spokesman, auto appearances, etc for extra cash but no more going to the portal for the highest bidder.
It's really the only way to get players to stay bc they will be on contract. It will be between whoever about how long/how much, redshirt, if they just get tuition or just cash/cash+tuition etc.

I don't think t unionization will result in a system that does anything to restrict player mobility/stop the turnstile/result in more level playing field for all colleges. This has to be done through legislation to make the NCAA exempt from laws for free trade/legal rights so that NCAA can put into place rules that would restrict player movement/compensation/player's rights. Unions give workers with similar abilities/job descriptions power to set work rules. The Baskeball pool is made of of wide range of athletes that vary from 0 NIL value to $millions. The high NIL value athletes don't have any incentive to join a union and share some of their salary with the rank and file that is mostly made up of low NIL value athletes.

Reactions: LukaDuka
Ok…I agree with this, and for years I agreed they should be paid. I’ve also said coaching salaries in all leagues should be lower & 25 mill for a NFL QB or hell 15 plus mill for a journeyman relievers insane..

But let’s remember, we have always used “school” cost as the comparative, when in reality it is world class training, 100k at least for 4 years, coaching & exposure 100k, travel, rehabilitation, therapy, medical, etc….

That’s a 500k scholarship period. They weren’t being used. If if we weren’t so damn gaga all over the world about celebrities, sports and athletes, we wouldn’t have this problem, so while you’re pointing your fingers at everybody else point them at yourselves a couple times.
Tutors, training table, tons of free clothing. First class facilities. Oh, and they get to play the game they love in front of 70,000 fans in the stadium and millions on TV.

I like Perkins and hope he and Patrick can experience a nice payday, but 3ooK for Tony is just silly. Unless the financial scale has just gone totally whack, there should be no way he is guaranteed anywhere close to that kind of cash.

Tutors, training table, tons of free clothing. First class facilities. Oh, and they get to play the game they love in front of 70,000 fans in the stadium and millions on TV.
In football they also get "participation packages" from most of the bowl games, as well.

IE, a free newest version PlayStation for each player from the bowl where PlayStation is the main backer.

The Power conference athletes - especially football - making millions through NIL are truly getting their cake and eating it, too. Then on top of all that, can whore themselves out to the highest bidders, and transfer if necessary without having to sit out, to put more frosting on that cake.

• Love
Reactions: Hawk_4shur

The whole pro sports model has gone so far out of whack, that its just ridiculous. The same week the Chiefs announced they signed Chris Jones to a 95 MILLION $ deal for THREE years, (about 1/2 what Mahomes makes) They're on TV asking for Jackson county tax payers to sign up for another 40-50 years worth of taxes for improvements to Arrowhead, or they might move. Sorry, call me a bad fan. If you can keep signing players to these ridiculous contracts then you can fix up your own house. Instead they want Joe taxpayer who struggles to get by to pay for it, even though he probably can't afford game tickets or the damn near $50 to park his car, at their Taj mahol. Love the Chiefs, but they can move before I vote yes on that deal, and Yes I know its going to pass because their black mailing the fans. Its past time for the fans to say enough. There is no reason for this shit to go on, but it would take all the fanbases to say ENOUGH, and that aint going to happen.

I don't think t unionization will result in a system that does anything to restrict player mobility/stop the turnstile/result in more level playing field for all colleges. This has to be done through legislation to make the NCAA exempt from laws for free trade/legal rights so that NCAA can put into place rules that would restrict player movement/compensation/player's rights. Unions give workers with similar abilities/job descriptions power to set work rules. The Baskeball pool is made of of wide range of athletes that vary from 0 NIL value to $millions. The high NIL value athletes don't have any incentive to join a union and share some of their salary with the rank and file that is mostly made up of low NIL value athletes.
I agree but the high value ones may vote no but if the majority of players vote for a union they would have no choice but to join if the votes pass. kinda like lebron making what he makes vs what the 15 bench man makes. The better players get more the others just happy to get free school get free school.
Also they would be on contract like the pros so they wouldn't be able to test/leave to make more money.
I could be wrong but the whole NCAA thingknow is really only about being tax free and money. It started with Teddy Roseavelt I believe with safety bc of the deaths playing football but became a tax free money maker.
The NCAA once sued Notre Dame and Penn for broadcasting their games on TV because they thought it would hurt ticket sales lol.

Just wanted to say, THANK YOU Jackson County voters for saying NO! Fix your own stadium Billionare bozos......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT