ADVERTISEMENT

Not Impressed

IAHawkGrad2000

Team MVP
Jan 12, 2014
... with Gonzaga
cool.r191677.gif
Maybe its just being on a high after seeing the Hawks completely eviscerate Davidson, but after watching them play this half they look very beatable. Not saying we definitely will, but we definitely can. I have a feeling they haven't played anyone with our size/length yet. Cant wait, go Hawks!

They gave Arizona a game in the non con. I've watched them a few times and I can't figure out what the talking heads are so in love with. Not a 2 seed. They may beat us if we play like crap, but VERY beatable.

To the winner of he Gonzaga - ND State game:

According to all the announcers, Davidson (one of the top offensive teams in the country) just had a terrible shooting night. Iowa's defense had nothing to do with it.

So do not worry, Iowa is not that good and the game Sunday will be a cakewalk for you.

Iowa will waltz into Sweet 16.

Zags suck/overrated & used magic to win 32 games & earn a 2 seed.

GU been down or tied numerous times all season only to win by 20/30/40 pts after tied at half...much like every top seed in this Tourney.

Expect a challenge come Sunday.

Heck, NDSU has made more 3 this half than Davidson did all game & still up 15!

It's really hard to take a lot away from one half of basketball but I agree, Gonzaga really doesn't look that impressive.

This is certainly a winnable game on Sunday, As long as IA brings their "A" game, we stand a reasonable chance.

Originally posted by baldwinzag:

GU been down or tied numerous times all season only to win by 20/30/40 pts after tied at half...much like every top seed in this Tourney.

And unlike most top seeds they play in a cup cake conference.

Zags are 3/4th place team in big10.

It's all about matchups, but they're up by no more at the half than Iowa was in their game, yet there's a bigger disparity in seeds. In other words, pound-for-pound, Gonzaga should be up by more than 10 points. Giving up 30 points in a half to a 15-seed is quite a bit.

Anyone surprised Wiscy only up 15 at end of game?

As poster above said...ALL about match ups.

For instance, our 6'10" power forwards are guarding 6'4" guys along perimeter, tougher than it sounds/seems. Not used to playing so 'spread' out & guarding 4 men along perimeter.

NDSU shooting 50% 3pt.

For instance, our 6'10" power forwards are guarding 6'4" guys along perimeter, tougher than it sounds/seems. Not used to playing so 'spread' out & guarding 4 men along perimeter.

NDSU shooting 50% 3pt.

Did you watch Iowa's two 6'9 guys guarding Davidson's 6'4 guys? You know, the 6'4 guys that hit 21% from 3? Iowa's 6'9 to 6'11 guys are mobile and able to guard 20 feet from the basket.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

NDSU shooting 50% 3pt.
Super. Bottom line, Iowa is a good team and could beat you if we play well.

I don't think anybody is saying that IA will "waltz" anywhere. Here's the deal though. All we've heard all week is every pundit overlooking IA. We beat the sh!t out of Davidson, and we still get no respect. I've yet to hear a talking head (other than the game announcers) even mention the fact that Gonzaga has to play IA.....it's Gonzaga that will be "waltzing". All we're saying is that we're going to match well with you guys....and I guarantee you you'll get more of a game from us than SDSU.

No question.

Iowa a very good team. Definitely better than any 7 seed I've seen, esp with White 100% healthy.

Zags & Hawkeyes very similar from style/size/coaching/pedigree/etc.

Whichever team plays tougher D wins. Guard play too as our bugs may neutralize each other. A great match-up awaits IF we gbeat NDSU, who have made some ridiculous 3's.

Keep in mind, Pangos nearly held scoreless first half. Lots of offensive weapons & very balanced. A different leading scorer every game if you review box score...THAT may be our one advantage vs Iowa.

Otherwise, all pretty equal.

NDSU shooting 50% 3pt.
So basically we just need you guys to shoot the ball poorly. Sounds good. Thanks for doing that on Sunday. We appreciate it.

No question.

Iowa a very good team. Definitely better than any 7 seed I've seen, esp with White 100% healthy.

Zags & Hawkeyes very similar from style/size/coaching/pedigree/etc.

Whichever team plays tougher D wins. Guard play too as our bugs may neutralize each other. A great match-up awaits IF we gbeat NDSU, who have made some ridiculous 3's.

Keep in mind, Pangos nearly held scoreless first half. Lots of offensive weapons & very balanced. A different leading scorer every game if you review box score...THAT may be our one advantage vs Iowa.

Otherwise, all pretty equal.
Fair enough. Keep in mind, uthoff was virtually non existent tonight. If he and white are on at the same time...........

Doesn't matter what kind of defense we toss at NDSU they hit contested 3's!

Impressed.

They are 8-16 from 3pt now, not to mention long jumpers that were nearly 3's.

Wow.

This post was edited on 3/20 10:40 PM by baldwinzag

7 pt game now.

NDSU hanging around. If they weren't so careless with the ball at times (bonehead random turnovers and bad unforced shots), this could actually be an even closer game.

It's not just NDSU hitting 3s. That chubby short post player is killing your bigs with post moves. White should have a field day Sunday.

This post was edited on 3/20 10:58 PM by CP84 2.0

I love White. He'll get his, yet if Woodbury & White & Co. can hit those off-balance contested head down shots time after time, then yes, Iowa deserves to win & then some. If you know bball, you'll realize he isn't "schooling" anyone yet just making tough shot 'around' guys much taller. Color me impressed.

Better than Brandon Ashley, Taskewski, & Hollis Jefferson did vs us COMBINED!

Gonzaga's offense looks good, good ball movement and rotations. Their defense is pitiful. Getting beat on post moves by a chunky 6'6 guy and leaving guys for wide open outside shots. If the Hawks can neutralize Pangos and Wiltjer they stand a really good chance of winning. Karnoski and Sabonis don't worry me much.

Iowa beat this ndsu team by 31. Zags are shooting 52% from the field. Obviously different situations but Iowa can match the zags length and is much quicker. This could be a very nice matchup for Iowa. Iowa plays like they did tonight and they beat the zags

I have also not been impressed with Gonzaga this season. It was really hard to judge based on conference opponents but there were so many close games. I said I wanted the Hawks to play them in the tournament... guess I get my wish.

Gonzaga has some good pieces. I just guess I can't figure out why they haven't been able to put it together at times against lesser competition.

With all that said, I want the Hawks to win so bad and beat Alford by 30+ points.

He was doing great post moves to the point the announcer even said they need to get someone quicker and smaller on him. Unlike NDSU, Iowa has size to match up with Gonzaga. I like our athleticism too. White, Uthoff and Gabe should create some match up problems for your posts.

Oh great. Zag isn't that great and Iowa will waltz into the Sweet 16. No. They're beasts and it will be a bloodbath. All we need is overconfidence.

Gonna be a lot of offense. They will give us some trouble, but they have no one who can guard White. Defense looks soft. Easy to pull away in the second half against the teams they play in their league.

Gminski just said if Iowa's offense plays like it did tonight it could be a long day for the Zags.

Originally posted by ft254:

Oh great. Zag isn't that great and Iowa will waltz into the Sweet 16. No. They're beasts and it will be a bloodbath. All we need is overconfidence.

Because what is posted on a message board has a bearing on a team.

Originally posted by Michael1969:
Gminski just said if Iowa's offense plays like it did tonight it could be a long day for the Zags. 
And yet their they go again talking about the upsets that have made Gonzaga's path forward so much easier...

Originally posted by herkyhawkeye76:
Iowa beat this ndsu team by 31. Zags are shooting 52% from the field. Obviously different situations but Iowa can match the zags length and is much quicker. This could be a very nice matchup for Iowa. Iowa plays like they did tonight and they beat the zags
Totally forgot we played NDSU already! Even more excited now! If we play our A game and refs call a fair game (cant be Teddy tv or ratface Sanzere right?) could be a great sunday!

Sometimes size HELPS a big team match-up with a fellow big team.

6'6" centers can be an "interesting", almost confusing match up with 6'10" & 7-foot dudes.

Ever try guarding a 5'5" quick guy as an a 6-footer?

Yes, as a team you can take advantage block shots, etc, yet tough one on one.

Gminski just added he had Gonzaga in his final 4, but he basically said he's changing that. I'm taking it he came away more impressed by what Iowa did this evening.

Sometimes size HELPS a big team match-up with a fellow big team.

6'6" centers can be an "interesting", almost confusing match up with 6'10" & 7-foot dudes.

Ever try guarding a 5'5" quick guy as an a 6-footer?

Yes, as a team you can take advantage block shots, etc, yet tough one on one.

And again, did you watch Iowa trying to guard those quick little guys from Davidson with their 6'9-7'1 guys? And did you watch Iowa destroy NDSU this year.

I will say this, if your bigs ugly up the game, it could be a long night for Iowa. You guys play defense the way you did tonight, it will be a long night for you. Your best bet is to copy what Purdue or MSU does, hammer Iowa's bigs and hope the refs are loose with the whistle. Let Iowa get into transition and White and Uthoff go outside in, you won't be happy with the final score

I love White. He'll get his, yet if Woodbury & White & Co. can hit those off-balance contested head down shots time after time, then yes, Iowa deserves to win & then some. If you know bball, you'll realize he isn't "schooling" anyone yet just making tough shot 'around' guys much taller. Color me impressed.

That guy would have got a significant amount of those swated against Iowas bigs.

Overall, Gonzaga was awful tonight.

Defense was abysmal.

If they play like that on Sunday, Iowa wins by 20. Seriously.

We gave up 75 pts to NDSU. Ugly.

We had some moments, tbought we'd put it together, yet couldn't pull or put away, that was terrible.

We will lose on Sunday if we play like that. If we improve, learn from tonight, we have a good chance of winning.

Although, Karnowski is our key & he got injured in 2nd. Scratched eye can be serious.

Defense was abysmal.

We had some moments, tbought we'd put it together, yet couldn't pull or put away, that was terrible.

We will lose on Sunday if we play like that. If we improve, learn from tonight, we have a good chance of winning.

Although, Karnowski is our key & he got injured in 2nd. Scratched eye can be serious.
Iowa won't be hitting 10 of 20 from 3, so no worries there.

Defense was abysmal.

So an eye poke injury. Interesting....
roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by RocknRollface:

That guy would have got a significant amount of those swated against Iowas bigs.
Werner was 1-5 for 5 points when we beat them by 30 earlier in the year.

DOUCHE!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT