ADVERTISEMENT

Not paying a toll.....

OILCHECKER

HR Heisman
Oct 12, 2001
Anyone know the actual consequences of not paying tolls in the state of Illinois for non-residents?

Long story short, late summer I traveled thru Illinois. None of their toll booths are actually open. So you either need to purchase a pass in advance or pay on-line. I wasn't aware that I have to pay online. So, I am supposed to not drive distracted yet be able to right down the name and mile marker and date and time of every toll while driving 70 mph, then submit it online and pay. After about 2-3 tolls, i gave up and figured they would send me a notice. Well, 6 months later they finally did. The tolls total just over $21 but each toll comes with a $3 processing fee, so the total bill is $51.

This really irks me. I have no problem paying for the tolls themselves but $3 per toll fee seems excessive. Their website is no help at all. Just says if you are low income you can have the fees reduced. Also, it only talks about what the repercussions are for Illinois residents that don't pay

Not really sure what they would/could do to a non-resident, but I am not sure it's worth finding out over an extra $30.

You don't even need to know where you have been. It used to be a major PITA, and you had to know what segments you drove. Now you just enter your license plate and the system pulls up the segments and charges. Not sure why it wasn't that way before.

I don't know about Illinois, but people in Washington have really had a lot of problems by not paying tolls and late charges for the floating bridge between Bellevue and Seattle.

Enforcement is spotty in Illinois, apparently. I know people that pay on line easily, I know people that say they've been fined, and I know people that boast of blowing along on toll roads and never paying on line, or getting a fine. I have an iPass because of the frequency of my trips to Illinois and Indiana, and never worry about it. I get a notice when the funds are replenished from my credit card. Easy.

We drove home (CR) from Chicago in September after a trip to NYC.

It was late (after midnight) with no toll booths open, so we just drove through. Like you said, the IL Tollway website was of little help.

A week or so later, I got a bill for $44.40.

I reluctantly paid it.

Reactions: Moral
I intentionally set Apple Maps on my phone to "avoid tolls" so I don't get stuck with those rip off administrative fees. If I had not done that it would have cost me somewhere between 7 and 10 dollars to go to Casey's near Midway Airport. Instead I got off one exit sooner and paid no tolls.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slappy Pappy
Anyone know the actual consequences of not paying tolls in the state of Illinois for non-residents?

Long story short, late summer I traveled thru Illinois. None of their toll booths are actually open. So you either need to purchase a pass in advance or pay on-line. I wasn't aware that I have to pay online. So, I am supposed to not drive distracted yet be able to right down the name and mile marker and date and time of every toll while driving 70 mph, then submit it online and pay. After about 2-3 tolls, i gave up and figured they would send me a notice. Well, 6 months later they finally did. The tolls total just over $21 but each toll comes with a $3 processing fee, so the total bill is $51.

This really irks me. I have no problem paying for the tolls themselves but $3 per toll fee seems excessive. Their website is no help at all. Just says if you are low income you can have the fees reduced. Also, it only talks about what the repercussions are for Illinois residents that don't pay

Not really sure what they would/could do to a non-resident, but I am not sure it's worth finding out over an extra $30.
Wrap your plate in saran wrap. It causes a shine that they can't read your plate.

I’ve blown off one or two in NW IL. No consequences.

If you keep doing it repeatedly, they will try to collect it.

I go through I-80 en route to michigan a handful of times a year. i got an ipass shortly before they closed the booths down due to covid.

I was on my original deposit until google rerouted me to a route with a lot more tolls to avoid an accident before it replenished

if you go to chicago and on the tollways even a couple times a year, get an ipass. Its easier and the tolls are cheaper using ipass as well.

You don't even need to know where you have been. It used to be a major PITA, and you had to know what segments you drove. Now you just enter your license plate and the system pulls up the segments and charges. Not sure why it wasn't that way before.

I don't know about Illinois, but people in Washington have really had a lot of problems by not paying tolls and late charges for the floating bridge between Bellevue and Seattle.

This! The Illinois Tollway website is infinitely better than it used to be. Logging in, entering vehicle information and paying for tolls couldn't be any easier now.

It was a few years back, but I forgot to pay my tolls for a trip to Chicago for around $45 and they turned into over $300. Why risk it?

That happened to me once too. I just iPass now so I don't have to deal with that again.

As recently as five years ago, you wouldn’t get a bill until your third missed toll in a rolling 12-month period (meaning the first two missed tolls were ignored so long as you never picked up the third). No idea if that is still the case.

Just pay the ticket or it will turn into a much larger fine.

im poor help me GIF

Reactions: dgordo
It's Illinoi$, which is a state in economic disarray, so it may take them years to find you; but, because it's Illinoi$, they'll eventually find you.

Back To The Future GIF

Reactions: Scott559
The only thing I know for certain about toll roads is that if it’s Sunday and you’re hungry then you’re completely fvcked because Chick-fil-a is closed.
Find a Jersey Mike’s, much better than CFA.

Also, as others have stated, go online and pay by license #. Just did on a delayed toll from August.

Last edited:

right-to-jail-jail.gif

You just pay them. The my only gripe with the system is that I checked online for 2 weeks, but then I think after 14 days you can’t check. During that 14 days, nothing was posted for my license plate number. Then I got it in the mail, and i was able to pay online. I don’t know if it would have been cheaper if they didn’t mail me.

The only thing I know for certain about toll roads is that if it’s Sunday and you’re hungry then you’re completely fvcked because Chick-fil-a is closed.
DeKalb has a Panda Express, A Subway, and a Starbucks. The Mobil has snacks, and the family that runs it will urge you to buy 2 of whatever you are getting in order to save money.

Got a note from the Illinois Tollway people. $40+ in unpaid tolls and fines. Apparently Mrs. Lucas forgot to move the transponder into her new car for the first trip to see her mom in the NW Suburbs.
They'll get you.

Blue states, libs and dems phucking you in the ass any way they can...why do you think this is a new concept?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT