ADVERTISEMENT

Notes from Kirk Ferentz Press Conference

Apr 8, 2003
Sorry to learn about Father Bob passing. Anybody that's been around Iowa sports knows what a great person he was. Sorry to hear about that.

On a happier note, it's been great to operate out of this facility. Very appreciative to everybody involved in making this thing become a reality.

Had our Pro Day the other day and wish all of those players all the best. Looking forward to going back to West Des Moines in April.

Had a good out of season phase. Everybody is coming off spring break right now. Anxious to get out on the field today. Guys have worked hard, but work to do this spring. Looking forward to getting on the field.

Q: Jake Rudock not on the depth chart. With the program?

KF: Jake is still with us. We've had conversation a couple different times. He's in a unique position like Cody Sokol a year ago. He's exploring some different options. Until he decides what he's going to do, we'll keep him out of the program at this point.

Q: When did that start?

KF: It's been ongoing. He's been training here, working out, not banned from the building by any means.

Q: With the program?

KF: He's on our roster, but we've signed released for him to explore other options. I want him to be happy with the opportunities in front of him.

Q: Decision to go with CJ trigger all this?

KF: When we released the depth chart in January, talked with both QB's, and that was the thought process of doing it in January was give them time. I go back to Cody's case, I got that totally and if Jake's heart's not in being here probably best he goes somewhere else.

Q: Was your sense at that time, no matter which one you chose, other might leave?

KF: No, not necessarily. I think a lot more was made of that in the media. That never really factored into it. It's always a reality. Ultimately you do what you think is best for the football team.

Q: You talked about both QB's last season, but always came back to Jake No. 1. When did that change? During bowl prep?

KF: If it was in the bowl prep, we would have started CJ. We let them compete in bowl prep and committed to letting them both play. At some point, you've got to name a starter. I think it was in our best interest to name one after the game.

Q: How does a reversal like that happen, a QB that's started two years?

KF: You look at all the information you have in front of you and have to make a call at some point. We made the decision then. In my opinion, that was the best thing to do for our football team at that point. They're both good quarterbacks, both tremendous young men.

Q: If he decides not to leave, is there competition again?

KF: I think it's always a competition, but just like we were committed to Jake last year, it would be the flip now.

Q: Why did you feel it was important to name a guy in January?

KF: That's just how I felt. When I say I, it was a group decision. We talked about it in great detail. You just have to do what you think is best.

Q: Did you want to make a decision early?

KF: That was part of it certainly.

Q: Has Jake sought a release to Michigan or other Big Ten schools?

KF: I signed an open release. No strings attached. If he chooses to leave, I want him to have opportunities.

Q: Did CJ show enough in the bowl game or was it throughout the season?

KF: It's been ongoing, which made us make the statement in December to practice and play with both. That's how it shook out and wanted to bring some clarity to the situation in January. I'll take one more question on that and then we'll move on.

Q: Has this move energized CJ?

KF: We'll find out, but he's been doing a great job. We have good depth at the fullback position. Pretty sexy isn't it. That's probably the only place we have depth like that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.