ADVERTISEMENT

Notes from Reese Morgan

Apr 8, 2003
We're a work in progress this spring. We've got two experienced players at end. Inside, Jaleel has played a little bit, but other than that working with a young group of guys. Really good group, working hard, and care about each other. Tonight is practice number ten and we still have a lot of work to do. Need to improve over next six practices.

How has Meier progressed? A year ago the big concern was if he could be an every down lineman at his size. He answered those questions last season. Continues to work on his technique. He's really doing well in the classroom, doing well on the field, and really focused on trying to improve.

Matt Nelson progress? I think Matt had an opportunity during bowl prep to really take a step forward. Can play both sides and has a chance to help us on the field this fall.

Defensive tackle? Right now, we're starting with Jaleel Johnson, Nathan Bazata - plays blocks well, Faith - last two practices has really stepped forward. If he can keep same improvement in next six practices will really earn trust. Kyle Terlouw really intriguing guy. He's going to play for us this fall. Tough player. He's a work in progress. Pickup truck with used tires, but a great young man that really cares about football.

Darian Cooper? Still not cleared my medical staff. True freshman was a dynamic, exciting player, but has endured multiple surgeries on his knees now. In every meeting, engaged, amazed at his mental and physical toughness.

What drives you as a coach? This morning, it was a bike. Usually it's a car. No, I tell you what, that's a pretty philosophical question. When you have an opportunity to do what we do and be around young people, being a part of their development and seeing them improve day by day and not just on the field, seeing that is pretty amazing. You like doing it because it's not work. It's your passion. We're lucky to be here.

Can you talk about finding Boone and Ike in recruiting? Boone, we knew about him for a while, and his tape was not spectacular, but he was a multisport athlete doing extremely well. Getting to know his high school coach, played TE in a single wing offense, athletic and can run, tough and smart. The thing that really caught the eye was I went to watch him play basketball in Waverly. Waverly had a young man going to play at UNI and watching Boone guard him, right away you knew. With Ike, right away you noticed his size and intelligence. Athletic guy. These guys are going to be good players. They are extremely well coached by Brian. Great athletes and really committed. They are a handful for our defense. They're getting better and improving.

What's it like when you pull a guy like Boone in as a walk-on that has offers elsewhere? First of all, you're trying to provide as much information as you can about the opportunities here. To be able to get him was really something that we were excited about because of his potential. It's great to have him.

You first saw Brandon Scherff at a track meet. What are you looking for when you see them like that? Being a high school educator and a coach in multiple sports for several years, you can identify athletic guys and a lot of different things you're looking for.

Starting two or three guys that played 8-man football this year? Right now, we have three guys from 8-man football starting for us. They're the best guys we have.

Finding 8-man guys? There's other people recruiting them, but not division one schools. There's football players everywhere. Nate Meier was an all-state running back and a state qualifier in track. Drew Ott was the player of the year in Nebraska in basketball, state champ and state champ in track. Bazata was a state champ. These guys all have the characteristics.

Do you recall going to Decorah high school and offering Josey Jewell? I can't remember, but I do remember visiting with him and saying we were recruiting him as a scholarship athlete. I think he wondered if we just wanted him to walk on, but he possessed the competitive spirit and drive that you want in players. Thank goodness he's on our football team because he's going to be a good player.

Brady Reiff comparison? Not a fair comparison right now. Riley was a bigger guy coming in. Brady is smaller, but probably a little faster. One thing in common is they are both extremely tough guys. Both real quiet, but come in and work every day. They come from a great home, very disciplined.

Matt Nelson, how has he grown? I think he's extremely detailed. If you look at his notebook, his notes are detailed. If he has a problem with something, the very next day he's working to correct it. He's kind of gradual like that. He has a long way to go, but for a 6-8 guy, he's working hard on leverage.

Defensive ends being outweighed by 50-60 lbs, what do they do to create separation, is it the hands? When you're undersized, you have to win the leverage battle. You have to be lower and have to create separation. On the other side, they're trying to close the distance. That happens in the course of three or four seconds. With Meier being undersized, you'd like to see him be more detailed with his technique, but he's explosive and has some violence to him, which is good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News