ADVERTISEMENT

Novels/Series That Deserve TV Shows

Have you ever read the book? It has not been done. The book is surprisingly violent, and anti-war. It is also antichristian and anti-Catholic.

Can't say that I have. If the book version is as dark and anti-religious as you say, I kinda doubt it will ever be done. Would be a very jarring version compared to the others that have been done.

My favorite fantasy series of all time. Yes, ahead of Tolkien and GoT. But I don't see how they can possibly do it justice.

I really want them to prove me wrong.

There's a group on Facebook - well there are probably many - where people are having fun suggesting actors to play the various roles. Might be the first series with a trillion dollar personnel budget, if these folks have their way.

That said, some of the suggestions are really excellent.
Really? I’m 8 novels in. It’s decent enough to keep me entertained during long hours at work but most of the books I’d give an average score to.

Thanks, I hadn't heard that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_(2020_film)

They say there's a logical place in the book to break it into 2 movies. It's been too long since I read it for me to identify that spot.

I always thought the 3-part Syfy Channel version done a few years back did a solid job. Good enough that they attempted to tackle Children of Dune a year or two later anyway.

I read the 1st book, and read tried to read some of the others. That book series is just way too convoluted for me to follow.

Can't say that I have. If the book version is as dark and anti-religious as you say, I kinda doubt it will ever be done. Would be a very jarring version compared to the others that have been done.
The fact that an entire army is defeated by electrocution and the sickly details of flesh frying on the wires and stench of the burning is kind of graphic.

I could watch a TV series based on Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series that actually closely follows the plots. The new Amazon one with Jim, isn't it.

I've liked the movies Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, and Clear and Present Danger, haven't seen Sum of All Fears yet. They're all entertaining enough, but they don't do the books justice at least relative to what a full season could do per book.

I'd love to see Clancy's "Debt of Honor" made into a show/movie. It's been years since I read it, but it's kind of scary how his fiction has become reality the last 20 years.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
Did this actually end well? I stopped reading after Jordan died and decided to wait until it was all over. The two people I trusted on it said the first two Sanderson novels were ok, but then it all went to Hell. Was it actually a satisfying ending? At this point I'd have to start over and re-read the entire thing to catch up as it's been over 10 years since I last read these, but I did spend a considerable amount of time reading them. It would be nice to tie them up.

I thought it ended ok. Sanderson did a decent job. He had all of Jordan’s notes so I’m sure it at least comes a little close to how Jordan would have ended it. I would think it would be difficult to satisfy someone with a great ending after you made them read 24 lengthy books. Any ending might feel like a let down.
I’ve read the series a couple times and always enjoy it. The first 6 or 7 books I’ve probably read 5 or 6 times each then each book after that a time or two less until I only read the Sanderson books a couple times. Each time a book would come out I’d start over it seemed like.
I got my 13 year old son into the books. He never read much before The Wheel of Time. Now he’s always got his nose in one of those books. It’s fun for us to talk about.

Did this actually end well? I stopped reading after Jordan died and decided to wait until it was all over. The two people I trusted on it said the first two Sanderson novels were ok, but then it all went to Hell. Was it actually a satisfying ending? At this point I'd have to start over and re-read the entire thing to catch up as it's been over 10 years since I last read these, but I did spend a considerable amount of time reading them. It would be nice to tie them up.
Huge project for anyone to take over. Sanderson's a skilled writer and did extremely well with some of the numerous threads and unanswered questions. And, yes, the ending (for the larger battle and for Rand and our other favorite characters) was quite satisfactory. He gave a few questions and characters short shrift or wrapped them up too easily, but I think you have to cut him some slack on most of those. His handling of big battles was impressive.

All in all, although I felt a bit let down on the occasional detail, I thought Sanderson did a commendable job. If you liked WoT up to that point, you'll almost certainly enjoy the rest of the ride. And you owe it to yourself to give it a try.

Technically, there's plenty of room for followups. I wish someone good would have the courage to tackle them.

Kvothe is a Mary Sue, but he’s an unreliable narrator so it’s understandable. The second book gets a little ridiculous, but I really like the mechanics of magic in the series and the writing.
Kvothe as a Mary Sue is a good description. Maybe it’s because I had just finished a few different series in the Grimdark vein, but I pretty much despised the character.. I thought Book 1 was decent, but like you said, I thought book 2 was ridiculous.

Wheel of Time is a series I have never read. I’m wary to start it though. I’ve heard d from multiple people that the story really bogs diwn in the muddle books.

Reactions: mnole03

I think it did, but it was easy for me to lower my expectations a bit when it was clear Jordan wasn't going to be the one to finish the series. All and all I think Sanderson did as good a job as possible.

Kvothe as a Mary Sue is a good description. Maybe it’s because I had just finished a few different series in the Grimdark vein, but I pretty much despised the character.. I thought Book 1 was decent, but like you said, I thought book 2 was ridiculous.

Wheel of Time is a series I have never read. I’m wary to start it though. I’ve heard d from multiple people that the story really bogs diwn in the muddle books.

My reading of the story is that Kvothe is full of shit. As an unreliable narrator I think he’s interesting, because who knows what’s real. If he’s actually a rockstar/ninja/sex god, that’s boring as hell.

I thought it ended ok. Sanderson did a decent job. He had all of Jordan’s notes so I’m sure it at least comes a little close to how Jordan would have ended it. I would think it would be difficult to satisfy someone with a great ending after you made them read 24 lengthy books. Any ending might feel like a let down.
I’ve read the series a couple times and always enjoy it. The first 6 or 7 books I’ve probably read 5 or 6 times each then each book after that a time or two less until I only read the Sanderson books a couple times. Each time a book would come out I’d start over it seemed like.
I got my 13 year old son into the books. He never read much before The Wheel of Time. Now he’s always got his nose in one of those books. It’s fun for us to talk about.
Like you, I've read the early books multiple times. Fewer times as I get deeper into the series. Only once for the Sanderson novels.

As I mentioned, I'm (re)reading again, so I'll be better able to answer the Sanderson questions soon, but my recollection is that he did a mostly excellent job. He's faster-paced, and jumps around a bit more quickly. Some people will like that. I kind of liked Jordan's pace better, but it wasn't a deal-breaker.

I think Sanderson let the main characters - who were all very young to start - grow up a little more than Jordan might have. That's a plus. But overall, Sanderson was less inside their heads and feelings.

Like George RR Martin's series, Jordan's story bogs down some (or a lot, depending on how you look at it) in the middle. Around book 8. But he gets through that, and readers should plow through, too. It's definitely worth it.

I'd love to see Clancy's "Debt of Honor" made into a show/movie. It's been years since I read it, but it's kind of scary how his fiction has become reality the last 20 years.

I made the a observation a few days ago when someone posted an opinion/analysis from the Chinese perspective about how they intend to take a larger and more aggressive path with foreign relations.

I made the a observation a few days ago when someone posted an opinion/analysis from the Chinese perspective about how they intend to take a larger and more aggressive path with foreign relations.

Absolutely. For those that haven't read the book, it's recommended and relevant to today. If that is too much, just spend 2 minutes and read the wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debt_of_Honor

Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitzky really need a show. Those books by John Lescroart are my favorites. If Bosch and Ryan have a series, I feel like Dismas should too!

Last edited:
My reading of the story is that Kvothe is full of shit. As an unreliable narrator I think he’s interesting, because who knows what’s real. If he’s actually a rockstar/ninja/sex god, that’s boring as hell.
Kvothe is bearable because it's clear that despite being the golden boy during the first two novels he colossally effs up at some point in the story and dooms the world. This along with the hints that his lineage is more than it appears makes the series and the character interesting.

Reactions: mnole03
As a kid I was obsessed with the Redwall series. I believe 20 or 21 books in total.

919ig%2B92jiL.jpg

519V9HP7V3L._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Fletch series. It’s been languishing in development hell for over 20 years now because the Weinstein company wanted to make a feature film from fletch won but the novels would make a good limited run series.

We have Game of Thrones, The Wire, Bosch, Dresden Files, various renditions of Sherlock Holmes, Morse, Lynley, and many more. But there are lots of wonderful novels and collections that would make great TV series.

My first nomination would be John D MacDonald's Travis McGee series. Plenty of material (21 novels).

What would you like to see?
Seven Eves by Neal Stephenson.

Amazing novel about humanity being forced to quickly ramp up a space program capable of sustaining humanity after the mysterious explosion of the moon which causes an eventual rain of meterors on earth.

Reactions: mnHawk8
Yesterday's Gone. Serialized post apocalyptic sci-fi/thriller. I read the first three and then kind of forgot about it. This thread reminded me about it.

They thought they were alone. They were wrong.

On October 15th, humanity went missing.

A handful of scattered survivors wake to find the world empty of friends, family, and neighbors.

Among them, a child searches for his family. A special agent turned enemy of the state survives a fiery plane crash with no way to reach his daughter. A serial killer discovers he’s no longer at the top of the food chain.

Now these strangers must find the strength inside them to weather the new world.

But they are not alone.

In the absence of civilization, a new threat emerges. In the stillness, it waits and watches, preying on their weakness. Their only hope is to find more survivors, rise above their fear, and face the oncoming darkness.

But can they unite before they too are lost? And can they all be trusted?

Season One of Yesterday’s Gone by Sean Platt and David W. Wright is a tense post-apocalyptic thriller that will leave you guessing to the end.

Combining TV’s thrilling, episodic nature with the in-depth character only found in novels, Yesterday’s Gone is a new wave in fiction. If you like The Stand and LOST, you’ll love this series that combines tension, intrigue, and fear of the unknown.

187286539.jpg

Seven Eves by Neal Stephenson.

Amazing novel about humanity being forced to quickly ramp up a space program capable of sustaining humanity after the mysterious explosion of the moon which causes an eventual rain of meterors on earth.
Absolutely great.

One of the five best sci-fi novels I've read in recent years. I listed them here a while back.

The early part of part 1 when the moon begins to break up would be an eye-opener.

Reactions: torbee
Absolutely great.

One of the five best sci-fi novels I've read in recent years. I listed them here a while back.

The early part of part 1 when the moon begins to break up would be an eye-opener.
Great novel. But I find him hit or miss. Some of his novels just come off as research papers with a bit of plot thrown in.

I'd give a great deal to see someone not named MTV to do on based on Terry Brooks' extended Sword of Shannara series (MTV completely butchered it).

Also - David Eddings' The Belgariad/Mallorean series (10 books total, so lots of material)

I saw HBO is working on one based on The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials) series, which might be interesting.

Considering the incredibly low budget they had to play with, I really enjoyed the Shannara series.

I think a series based on the Druss/Drenai by David Gemmell would be excellent. As would a short 10-12 episode short series on the Sundering duology by Jaqueline Carey. I also always loved the Quintana Marathon by Jack L Chalker and it was never popular so its rights could be bought cheaply.

Reactions: noleclone2
I always thought the 3-part Syfy Channel version done a few years back did a solid job. Good enough that they attempted to tackle Children of Dune a year or two later anyway.

I read the 1st book, and read tried to read some of the others. That book series is just way too convoluted for me to follow.

Dune was the fever dream of a heavy drug user but done before he lost all of his brain cells. The later books were further and further into his brain’s decay and become basically unreadable.

BUT, the later books written by his son and another actually professional writer were actually quite good. Especially the Machine Wars trilogy (which explains why humanity has turned towards genetics/biological solutions to spacetravel, computing and warfare) and the House books. The novels that tried to complete his father’s books were far weaker.

I don’t read a lot of fiction, but one of my favorites is The Enders Game Series. I thought the movie was pretty good which is an incredible accomplishment as the book is way to nuanced to be addressed in a couple hours.

Degree of difficulty would still be high as you have to nail a cast of mostly children.

Never heard of this series and he’s a workshop grad, will have to check out!

Can you gave me a frame of reference for what it’s about?

Main character of the Prey series is Lucas Davenport. He's based in the Twin Cities, and originally was an investigator for the Minnesota BCA. He's now with the US Marshal Service. He is independently wealthy, and was a former hockey player. He and his pals often venture into Iowa.

Spinoff character is Virgil Flowers. He works for the BCA, loves fishing, and hates guns. He ventures into Iowa frequently. He's a rugged sort of guy and women love him.

Writing style is easy to read.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT