ADVERTISEMENT

NYC opening mass vaccination sites

Won’t this be a cluster—k logistically?
Well, the status quo is missing targets by more than 80%, so let's try something new.

If they know they only have 10,000 doses that day, then they can stop letting people queue up after that. Rinse, repeat, come back tomorrow, etc. Eventually, vaccinations will start to outpace new infections.

Well, the status quo is missing targets by more than 80%, so let's try something new.

If they know they only have 10,000 doses that day, then they can stop letting people queue up after that. Rinse, repeat, come back tomorrow, etc. Eventually, vaccinations will start to outpace new infections.
Yep. I agree.

Right now, you have way too many doses just sitting there while people continue to get sick and die. Let's get vaccines into arms. Enough with the current method. It's not working.

I think we are ignoring the fact that millions of those eligible to receive it first are simply opting out. Including a shit ton of first responders.
Not ignoring that. But then those doses (in many states) are just sitting there because state officials aren't clear where they should be going then. If we can't clearly define who gets a shot, then we just need to have large vaccination sites where people who want the shot can get it based on available doses.

According to both Pfizer and Moderna, lack of supply isn't the issue.

Reactions: torbee
If the opening of a Steak and Shake gets a thread on here for the long lines, imagine the lines for a vaccine

Bogged down in bureaucratic inefficiency. Sometimes you gotta brute force it.

Of course we'll see lots of bitching about the individuals receiving the vaccines not being the most deserving...

I think we are ignoring the fact that millions of those eligible to receive it first are simply opting out. Including a shit ton of first responders.
Yeah, but some are opting out because they've already had (& recovered) from COVID and want to conserve the doses.

Certainly some percentage are anti-vax, but the headlines saying "medial workers refuse vaccine" is a bit misleading.

Yeah, but some are opting out because they've already had (& recovered) from COVID and want to conserve the doses.

Certainly some percentage are anti-vax, but the headlines saying "medial workers refuse vaccine" is a bit misleading.
Which means those doses are just sitting there unused. That's not acceptable.

Yep. I agree.

Right now, you have way too many doses just sitting there while people continue to get sick and die. Let's get vaccines into arms. Enough with the current method. It's not working.
Well you have to have a process that doesn’t cause chaos. You can’t just say, the current way isn’t working so lets do this

there has to be some order. There has to be some way to assign specific days in a mass setting. Just telling people to show up will not end well

Reactions: srams21
There is no perfect solution or answer , but the goal should be get as many people vaccinated as quick as humanly possible.

After using the test Iowa website, I see that type of setup as a potential tool ... sign up for a time slot , get the vaccine for the general public. They can also use a specialty group, similar to contact tracers, whose job it is to identify get the vaccine to the high risk groups .... both strategies can work simultaneously to compliment one another.

maybe they can commandeer the mobile blood bank organizations to travel and host vaccine clinics.

Reactions: bdg8 and srams21
Well you have to have a process that doesn’t cause chaos. You can’t just say, the current way isn’t working so lets do this

there has to be some order. There has to be some way to assign specific days in a mass setting. Just telling people to show up will not end well
Of course there needs to be order. There are easily lots of solutions and quite frankly the government had the last 8 months to figure that part out. I'm not a logistics expert but it can't be that hard. The goal should be to not have doses sitting around for weeks and weeks going unused. Get shots in arms now.

Something like the Test Iowa site might work where people sign up for a time slot.

Reactions: bdg8
Not ignoring that. But then those doses (in many states) are just sitting there because state officials aren't clear where they should be going then. If we can't clearly define who gets a shot, then we just need to have large vaccination sites where people who want the shot can get it based on available doses.

According to both Pfizer and Moderna, lack of supply isn't the issue.

I get it and agree. My point is being made to these states with the message, "If they haven't come yet, they're not coming. Move on."

Reactions: srams21
This doesn’t comport with CDC guidelines, but the CDC has been wrong before. Not nearly as wrong as the mayor, but off in some areas.

We already have the infrastructure in place through our testing systems. In Iowa, they should be using the test Iowa site to schedule vaccine appointments. They can even set up sites at the same locations. Go online, answer some qualifying questions under penalty of perjury, and schedule a time slot for your dose. When you schedule, it automatically schedules your follow up appointment for the second shot. Ask for doctors/nurses/military/whoever to volunteer to administer shots.

The worst thing that can happen is someone lies on the qualifying questions....and then we still have another person vaccinated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT