ADVERTISEMENT

Oddly enough I think Garza needs to hit some 3’s to get his post game going again

His defense has always been bad as has most of the rest of his game the past 3 weeks.

May be time to let him sit at the start of the next game to let him observe a little bit in the hopes it can get him going, but doubt Fran does that. Fran likes to let his players "figure it out" on their own (like not calling a time out to stop an opponent's run when he should), which I don't agree with all the time.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
His play the last 3 games has been abysmal. Personally, if he doesn't shoot a 3 pointer again the rest of the season I would be happy. Garza needs to get his butt on the block and make some post moves. He's a good ft shooter and has descent moves down low. I can't understand why he's out at the 3 point line. He's too slow to run pick and roll and his outside shot isn't working for pick and pop.
At this point it's time for Kreiner to start and let Garza come off the bench. It was obvious to me that the main reason we have come back from deficits against Northwestern, Rutgers and Maryland is because Garza has been sitting on the bench. His defense is non existent. Somebody needs to teach the boy that he has to bends his knees and slide his feet. The problem with that is he looks like he's running in cement and he's slow footed.
Don't get me wrong I like the kid because he plays hard, but until he gets his shit figured out it's time to give Kreiner more playing time or play small ball and put Cook at the 5.

Agree with the above. So Garza jacks up 3's which lead to a long rebound and run out and he doesn't get past half court. Putting Garza beyond the arc to shoot 3's vs. getting his butt under the basket so he can post up, pick and pop (higher %) and rebound is absurd. There are other / better 3 point shooters on the team than Garza and Fran needs to realize this because his fg % is really hurting the team. He isn't getting to the line shooting 3's.

No! ,Luka needs to find his post game period. If he gets fouled and scores the basket he'll get a chance for his three. Someday or maybe not Luka and Tyler Cook will learn to feed off each other.

At this point in the season, there are no secrets, no surprises. Other teams have well paid coaches to figure things out - they get scouting reports, video, etc. Garza has some good games and the coaches game plan to slow him down. Hawks have to find something else.

Don't let Garza go to his right, and don't let Cook go to his left. Let them both shoot from anywhere outside of 8 ft from the basket.

Force JBo and Moss to drive, force CM to shoot.

The defense knows what to do to slow the Hawks down. To win, the Hawks need to overcome it or do something else.

So, yes, if Garza can hit some 3's it would really help. But, that doesn't mean I think he should be shooting a lot of 3's.

C'mon Fran - do some of that coaching sh*t.;)

Luka works his tail off & for that reason alone I am proud of him. But yes, he needs to be on the block where he belongs. If he is fouled it gives him 2 free throws to get into a rhythm with his shot. I'm thinking if he makes a few down low then his confidence will return. One more thing I've noticed about Luka.....if he does get the ball on the block it rarely comes back out. He's gonna shoot it come hell or high water.

Luka's ability to shoot 3's means Cook will have more space to post up in the paint. If Cook were out, I imagine we'd see less of Luka on the perimeter.

With that said, Luka is right on the border of whether it makes sense for him to shoot 3's. Generally, if you can't hit at least 33% of your 3's you probably shouldn't be shooting. Luka is currently shooting 31% after a cold February.

Luka's 3 point percentages:
  • Current year: 31%
    • Through January: 34%
    • Through December: 37%
    • February-only: 18%
  • Last year: 35%

I still think he should have the green light to shoot open 3's, but if the cold shooting continues that should be reevaluated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT