ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Line

Nearly all of the criticism I've heard about the OTs is their pass protection which, of course, is important.

What about their run blocking? You know, the other half of the job description, about 35-40 plays per game.

Good question Nu. I would be interested in that as well. It has been completely ignored.

I think we can all agree that everything starts up front. My questions are these, did anybody actually think our tackles would be B1G quality tackles this year? I said probably 2 months ago that this OL would be/could be 1999 bad and I got my head ripped off for that. Well from the sounds of it, that is how bad they looked.

My next question is, at a place like Iowa who has had numerous guys drafted in the 1st round under Ferentz, how in the hell does this happen? How do we not have guys up front that had major offers?

How the hell does what happen? Do we have a bad day of practice? Im guessing it's happened once or twice at least every year even when we have 5 1st round draft picks on that line. I would really love to know in the past 20 years how many times all 5 of our OL have had major offers. Our OL have offers from MAC school like Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Boston College, USC, Kansas State and Stanford. I know those don't count because those aren't your starting tackles but still, those are something.

You are listening to people who have always bitched about everything bitch about an OL and decided our OL sucks this year. Any chance we can just let the season play out or do we all have to be pissed off and bitter about this stuff? Stuff that hasn't even been decided yet except for the group that decides every single year that we suck, coaches suck, players suck, cheerleaders suck, marketing department sucks, AD sucks. There is a pattern here. They are miserable and they want you be miserable so they can feel a little bit better about their own situation in life. Go outside and play man and ignore them. If we suck, we can all come back here and rejoice about it. If we are awesome on the OL, I'll bet money these same people have something else to bitch about. It's just a hunch. :)

And please don't say I am bitching about those that bitch. I love those guys. I don't want them to go away. They are the cheapest form of entertainment there is and a dynamite way to feel pretty good about yourself. Cheers.

images

How the hell does what happen? Do we have a bad day of practice? Im guessing it's happened once or twice at least every year even when we have 5 1st round draft picks on that line. I would really love to know in the past 20 years how many times all 5 of our OL have had major offers. Our OL have offers from MAC school like Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Boston College, USC, Kansas State and Stanford. I know those don't count because those aren't your starting tackles but still, those are something.

You are listening to people who have always bitched about everything bitch about an OL and decided our OL sucks this year. Any chance we can just let the season play out or do we all have to be pissed off and bitter about this stuff? Stuff that hasn't even been decided yet except for the group that decides every single year that we suck, coaches suck, players suck, cheerleaders suck, marketing department sucks, AD sucks. There is a pattern here. They are miserable and they want you be miserable so they can feel a little bit better about their own situation in life. Go outside and play man and ignore them. If we suck, we can all come back here and rejoice about it. If we are awesome on the OL, I'll bet money these same people have something else to bitch about. It's just a hunch. :)

And please don't say I am bitching about those that bitch. I love those guys. I don't want them to go away. They are the cheapest form of entertainment there is and a dynamite way to feel pretty good about yourself. Cheers.

heat_dawg, look at Iowa's roster. Then look at our recruiting profile, then look at OSU's, and PSU's, and MSU's, and Michigans, and Nebraska's. Look at last year's. Look at 2 years ago. Look at 3 years ago. Iowa's problem is deeply rooted and systemic. You bitch about bitchers. Maybe it's time you guys wearing the black and gold sun glasses started looking at things objectively. You can do it and still be a loyal fan. This is an open forum and the bitching is directed toward the coaching staff because fans frustrated with the situation cannot address it with the coaching staff. Why don't we have depth? Why don't we have strength at all positions? Do they know how to recruit? If so, do they put any effort into it? These questions need to be asked.

heat_dawg, look at Iowa's roster. Then look at our recruiting profile, then look at OSU's, and PSU's, and MSU's, and Michigans, and Nebraska's. Look at last year's. Look at 2 years ago. Look at 3 years ago. Iowa's problem is deeply rooted and systemic. You bitch about bitchers. Maybe it's time you guys wearing the black and gold sun glasses started looking at things objectively. You can do it and still be a loyal fan. This is an open forum and the bitching is directed toward the coaching staff because fans frustrated with the situation cannot address it with the coaching staff. Why don't we have depth? Why don't we have strength at all positions? Do they know how to recruit? If so, do they put any effort into it? These questions need to be asked.

Iowa has had a number of high profile recruits in the Ferentz era. But when I go down the list of my favorite Hawks during that time (not to mention they had great careers at Iowa and ended up in the NFL), most of them weren't 5* recruits who turned down college football royalty to come to Iowa.

*Robert Gallery who came to Iowa as a 235lb TE and left as a 320lb OT and the #2 pick in the NFL draft. He was a 2* recruit by the way.

*Dallas Clark who was a walk on linebacker. He only became the best TE (in my opinion, and many others') in Iowa history and an all-pro in the NFL.

* Bob "Joker" Sanders was a 2* recruit coming out of high school. Everybody said "he isn't fast enough" and "he isn't big enough to play safety"... Yet, he earns the nickname of The Hitman and is named the NFL defensive player of the year in 2007.

The season hasn't started yet. Take a deep breath.

And it's college football. If you don't enjoy it and it makes you unhappy, maybe you should find a different hobby.

images

Defense always starts out stronger than offense in camp, especially on the line...let things develop before you lose your sh* *.
Year after year, the Ferentz's play with positions moving people around changing line ups and developing depth.
3 weeks of camp left...chill....Ott and (its) Meier could both very well be all Big Ten by the end of the year.

I agree - when both Kirk and Brian Ferentz are talking about it being a mental issue rather than a physical one. Kirk talked about 'unlocking' technique. Brought up Steinbach, and even in the spring said that he had been worried until around bowl prep about these two, indicating that he no longer. I just don't get the sense that they are worried - he's not using the terms 'bring the guys along' or waffling on who his guys are. This is one of the more settled depth charts we've had in the recent past. I think we will see some improvement before game time and I think that getting up against competition that is not Ott and Meier is going to be good for their confidence. I think that it also stands to mention that a vast majority of the reps in the kids day scrimmage was passing situations and our top two backs were out. I think they are working on their weakest points and we will see them play towards their strengths in the early game.

Well one thing is for certain, we are going to find out a lot in about 3 weeks. Because Brock Spack and Illinois State will bring the heat. If Iowa can't run the ball or protect CJ against Illinois State, we might be looking at a 3-9 type year.

Move Matt Nelson to OT. Start Daniels. Line starts looking a lot better.

Just out of curiousity....what looks better about that? Neither of those two have shown anything to prove they'd be better than what we have now except that they were more highly ranked recruits. You need to get your head out of the stars and realize that, while stars do matter at the macro level, it doesn't even come close to reality that a more highly rated recruit is better on an individual basis.

Relax and let the season play out. I have to laugh at people pissed about our crappy team when we haven't even played a game yet! We may suck, we may not....let's wait to decide if we need to hang the staff until after the season is over.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT