ADVERTISEMENT

Offer to return to a previous employer with 23% pay bump and work from home.

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
I was a govt contractor for 6 years post active duty, then we lost our contract (I stayed on 2 more years as a PM--hated it). Became a govt civilian, but after 27+ years in this world, I'm kinda burned out. Old boss literally created a position for me on his new team (10 year contract--8 years in) with a 23% pay bump and I can mostly work from home. (totally different work from what I'm doing now)

Pros/Cons working from home?

I was a govt contractor for 6 years post active duty, then we lost our contract (I stayed on 2 more years as a PM--hated it). Became a govt civilian, but after 27+ years in this world, I'm kinda burned out. Old boss literally created a position for me on his new team (10 year contract--8 years in) with a 23% pay bump and I can mostly work from home. (totally different work from what I'm doing now)

For me it depends on the day really. I'm mostly pretty good at staying focused, but it seems harder to stay locked in when I'm at home and no one else is there. Also, I'm not a huge social creature so working in an office is my primary form of human interaction. Some days I get a little stir-crazy. I don't mind working from home, but I don't like doing it full-time.

Reactions: hawkfan0319

I am mostly in the office but will work from home from time to time. The biggest con working from home is when my family does not treat me as if I'm working from home. Requests for scrambled eggs, requests to drop my kid off at football, etc that would not be made of me if I was at the office.

For me it depends on the day really. I'm mostly pretty good at staying focused, but it seems harder to stay locked in when I'm at home and no one else is there. Also, I'm not a huge social creature so working in an office is my primary form of human interaction. Some days I get a little stir-crazy. I don't mind working from home, but I don't like doing it full-time.
I'm an Extroverted Introvert...leaning more on the Introverted side (really only like to be sociable w/in my circle). I have the option to carve out a space at one of our downtown offices for those days I need better focus or feeling stir crazy (thinking summers when my son is home too).

I am mostly in the office but will work from home from time to time. The biggest con working from home is when my family does not treat me as if I'm working from home. Requests for scrambled eggs, requests to drop my kid off at football, etc that would not be made of me if I was at the office.
Wife (no pics) is a stay-at-home mom, so no real chance of that being an issue. In fact, my wife (still no pics) has demanded if I stay home to work I leave her the frack alone--it's the only peace and quiet she gets.

I'm an Extroverted Introvert...leaning more on the Introverted side (really only like to be sociable w/in my circle). I have the option to carve out a space at one of our downtown offices for those days I need better focus or feeling stir crazy (thinking summers when my son is home too).

I tick all 10 of those boxes.

Wife (no pics) is a stay-at-home mom, so no real chance of that being an issue. In fact, my wife (still no pics) has demanded if I stay home to work I leave her the frack alone--it's the only peace and quiet she gets.
d91.gif

Reactions: ping72
Work from home can be great if you like the work and don't mind never seeing people. If they give you the option of having a space to work from on occasion that can help with the disconnectedness that you can feel. Helps if you're on a lot of calls/zooms with your team too otherwise people forget you work there.

Plus side is that there is less clock punching. Down side is that people know you work from your house and tend to expect you to be there 24/7 when they need something. It's important to set real hours, even just for yourself. I don't work weekends - even though my office is in my house.

Sweet.

At your age, I'm surprised you still have the sex appeal to wrangle that kind of deal from your employer.

I enjoy not having the commute and very casual dress. I miss the collaborative nature of being around my partners. I have figured out that a hybrid of 3 days in the office and two at home works the best.

Reactions: Hammer93
Work from home can be great if you like the work and don't mind never seeing people. If they give you the option of having a space to work from on occasion that can help with the disconnectedness that you can feel. Helps if you're on a lot of calls/zooms with your team too otherwise people forget you work there.

Plus side is that there is less clock punching. Down side is that people know you work from your house and tend to expect you to be there 24/7 when they need something. It's important to set real hours, even just for yourself. I don't work weekends - even though my office is in my house.
Ya, I've been discussing boundaries with my "recruiter" friend. I'm going to be capturing processes and creating SOPs, checklists, etc. for a huge AT&T contract. I'll have zoom calls with the tech people, but mostly just plugging away designing.

I've told them, I don't want to be at Dairy Queen with my son after school and get a phone call (on a regular basis, of course).

Working from home kicks so much ass. I have so much less anxiety not commuting and my commute was less than 3 miles and is literally a straight shot by bus.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
Working from home is the best. You don’t have to deal with the Karen’s at work and it’s easy to keep your personal life away from work life imo. I’m keeping the position I’m in and have no interest in moving anywhere so no need to “prove” myself in person. I have a great community of family and friends already so no need to really add any more.

It's important to have activities. Remember to take a break. Workout during lunch. Otherwise, it can feel like all you do is work.

Working from home is the best. You don’t have to deal with the Karen’s at work and it’s easy to keep your personal life away from work life imo. I’m keeping the position I’m in and have no interest in moving anywhere so no need to “prove” myself in person. I have a great community of family and friends already so no need to really add any more.
I am the opposite of this. Since my computer is always here and always plugged in I find myself checking and responding to emails/reports all the time.

Reactions: Hammer93
Down side is that people know you work from your house and tend to expect you to be there 24/7 when they need something. It's important to set real hours, even just for yourself. I don't work weekends - even though my office is in my house.

This. In my situation, I used to work in an office with people, but over years and years more people went remote until I was one of the few people coming into the office. It was a waste of a commute to sit alone at my computer. Eventually we went full permanent remote.

But the thing that drove me nuts when I was one of the few people in an office is that many people work from home pretty much blend their time. They might disappear for a few hours, then be back on at 7pm for a few hours. Well, when you're actually in an office, that shit is a real pain in the ass. I got real sick of sitting in my office at 6:30 waiting for someone to finish walking their dog so they could get me something I needed before I could leave and start my 40 minute commute. Meanwhile, my family is trying to keep dinner warm for me.

I really hate that. That's not me...whether home or office, there's an end to my day. It's always a bit crazy to me to see people answering emails and 9 or 10 tonight. That's fine if you want to get your work done that way, but I don't like being forced into being engaged with my email all day every day. I was very concerned if I ever went remote I'd lose the excuse that they sent it to me after I left.

So far, I've been pretty much able to hold the line and walk away from my email by 6 or 6:30. Of course, I'm not talking about an unwillingness to work late when a project demands it, or responding to an emergency. Everyone's got my cell phone so they can call me and I'll jump on something. I'm just talking about the normal day to day workload, I don't want to have to be checking my email at 9pm because somebody else was getting their lawn mowed before it rained.

This. In my situation, I used to work in an office with people, but over years and years more people went remote until I was one of the few people coming into the office. It was a waste of a commute to sit alone at my computer. Eventually we went full permanent remote.

But the thing that drove me nuts when I was one of the few people in an office is that many people work from home pretty much blend their time. They might disappear for a few hours, then be back on at 7pm for a few hours. Well, when you're actually in an office, that shit is a real pain in the ass. I got real sick of sitting in my office at 6:30 waiting for someone to finish walking their dog so they could get me something I needed before I could leave and start my 40 minute commute. Meanwhile, my family is trying to keep dinner warm for me.

I really hate that. That's not me...whether home or office, there's an end to my day. It's always a bit crazy to me to see people answering emails and 9 or 10 tonight. That's fine if you want to get your work done that way, but I don't like being forced into being engaged with my email all day every day. I was very concerned if I ever went remote I'd lose the excuse that they sent it to me after I left.

So far, I've been pretty much able to hold the line and walk away from my email by 6 or 6:30. Of course, I'm not talking about an unwillingness to work late when a project demands it, or responding to an emergency. Everyone's got my cell phone so they can call me and I'll jump on something. I'm just talking about the normal day to day workload, I don't want to have to be checking my email at 9pm because somebody else was getting their lawn mowed before it rained.
Yeah, my boss typically sends me emails either after 10pm or on the weekends. I make it a point to only reply during business hours. I don't care when he decides to work, but I work during the work day.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Pros:

• Eliminate wasted travel time and expense
  • As someone else mentioned, food costs likely down and probably more healthy
  • Flexibility. When I was in the office, it was focus on work until done and then start my "off time". Working from home, if it's nice out and my schedule allows it I don't mind going out in the yard or whatever and getting some things done during the day and then finishing up work in the evening.

Cons:

Either being unable to eliminate distractions in the house or as was mentioned for some folks they don't know when to stop working as the office is always right there.

So no nooners?

• Sad
Reactions: TDJ7
I have worked from home every day, since March. No family member distractions at all, and flex hours. So sounds good in theory.

Surprisingly, I found out it can wear on you.

After so many months of this, I can't explain how or why, but I am absolutely sick of it. I'm ready to return to the office asap - when it's safe(r) to do so. But for really, wfh is good - don't get me wrong, but having some balance is the best I think.

Yeah, my boss typically sends me emails either after 10pm or on the weekends. I make it a point to only reply during business hours. I don't care when he decides to work, but I work during the work day.

Yep. I've just made a promise to myself to not look and not reply. Then the precedent gets set. They've got my cell phone, and many times I've told them to call or text me if they need me.

Obviously, when something has to get done and you're just working late or on the weekend that's different.

It's still a little frustrating. Back when everyone worked in the office, because THEY wanted to get home and see their family, people would get their shit done. If I stayed to 6 or 6:30 I would basically be shutting the door on the place, and I would know I'd come into a clean slate. Now, I log on first thing in the morning to elaborate requests and concerns from the night before because someone couldn't bother with it until their kids were in bed.

I don't love it, but it's never going back. But I refuse to be half working 24/7.

Reactions: BelemNole
I have worked from home every day, since March. No family member distractions at all, and flex hours. So sounds good in theory.

Surprisingly, I found out it can wear on you.

After so many months of this, I can't explain how or why, but I am absolutely sick of it. I'm ready to return to the office asap - when it's safe(r) to do so. But for really, wfh is good - don't get me wrong, but having some balance is the best I think.

I would love to have flexibility to do both but my employer is going to have people pick one or the other and I'm sold on WFH. If I could do both, I would probably work 2-3 days per week in the office (more if needed) and then always WFH when there's even a trace of snow.

Reactions: Underscore2
Pic of you scrambling the wifes eggs?

Be careful. I was in a similar position a little over 20 months ago. I was getting tired of my old role and the promise of change (and more money) was intriguing. I was optimistic... Then COVID hit and I went from having to deal with state health departments and the CDC a couple hours a month to basically 8 hours a day now.

What allows them to void the contract? That would be my primary concern. What allows them not to pay you

Depending on the money go rent a small office in a strip mall if you need that. Otherwise designate one room in your house as the office and prepare to go there as you would a real office.

Just off the top of my head...

More flexible hours
More work completed
More free time
No rushing to jump into shower and commute
No commute
No parking expense
No fuel expense
No lunch expense
No tips
No dry cleaning
No hectic life pace
Can do household chores as you work
Collaborative work is by phone
The people who like to collaborative work by parking themself in my office can shop for answers elsewhere

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT