ADVERTISEMENT

* * * OFFICIAL * * * Illinois St @ Iowa Game Thread

KuwaitHawk

HB Legend
Apr 18, 2004
It is finally here game 1 of the 2015 season. This is my ninth or tenth season doing this. I started this back when I was in Iraq posting the * * * OFFICIAL * * * thread at one minute after midnight. It was easy to do it since it was 8 AM in Iraq. Well, since I have been back, it has been 5 years now, there are times when it has been just as easy and other times, based on my work schedule I have not been able to do it at 12:01. This year is going to be one of those times. My work schedule has me working Saturdays during the day starting at 6AM making midnight prime sleeping time. Enough about that and on to the Hawkeyes.

Hello Hawkeye fans!!! Illinois St comes to Kinnick Stadium as one of the best FCS schools in the land. In the past, Iowa has had problems with FCS schools for the opening game (see UNI twice). We will find out quickly if the quarterback decision made back in January was the right one. Based on what happened with Michigan Thursday it looks like the right decision was made, but time will tell. Iowa will need to come out all business and not let Ill St hang close. Iowa needs to establish the running game and that will open the passing game. On the defensive side of the ball, Iowa will have to shut down Illinois St's QB and RB. Pressure, pressure and more pressure. The defense will have to swarm to the ball. Hopefully the crowd can be vocal enough to bother Illinois St's offense. Decisions will need to be made early, the key one is as usual for Iowa, starting with the coin flip. If Iowa wins the toss, do they take the ball or defer? If Illinois St wins the toss, is their best option to take the ball and try to put Iowa behind from the start or defer and see if Iowa's 'new look' offense can move the ball. Like lots of people, this game scares me as Illinois St is good, on paper based on what their QB has done against Iowa when he was at Indiana, Iowa may have a big challenge. I will still take the Hawkeyes winning this game by a close score with the Hawkeyes scoring 27-35 and Illinois St scoring 17-24. GO HAWKEYES!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News