ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official IOWA vs uconn Game Thread (6 pm Tip, ESPN2)*****

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
19 years ago Iowa met UCONN (then ranked #1) at Madison Square Garden. Iowa won. The 2 teams have not played since.

Iowa Basketball‏Verified account@IowaHoops 2h2 hours ago

Friday will be Iowa's first meeting against Connecticut since a 70-68 win over the Huskies, ranked No. 1 at the time, on Nov. 11, 1999 inside @TheGarden. .

5 PM CT: PREGAME RADIO SHOW
6 PM CT: GAME TIPS OFF

#Hawkeyes

Last edited:
19 years ago Iowa met UCONN (then ranked #1) at Madison Square Garden. Iowa won. The 2 teams have not played since.

Iowa Basketball‏Verified account@IowaHoops 2h2 hours ago

Friday will be Iowa's first meeting against Connecticut since a 70-68 win over the Huskies, ranked No. 1 at the time, on Nov. 11, 1999 inside @TheGarden. .

#Hawkeyes

Right after they had eliminated us in the tourney the year before IIRC. I was 13 and remember begging my dad to take me with him to the bar to watch it (we didn't have cable). I remember not liking Khalid El-Amin. That win was one of my great hawkeye bball memories.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Right after they had eliminated us in the tourney the year before IIRC. I was 13 and remember begging my dad to take me with him to the bar to watch it (we didn't have cable). I remember not liking Khalid El-Amin. That win was one of my great hawkeye bball memories.
i remember Dick Vitale slobbering all over his microphone after the game stating how great of a coach Alford was

i honestly thought Alford was gonna be the real deal for Iowa.

Ughhh.......:(

Reactions: Rustys Dad
Because we (mostly) always do when we get into a run and gun game with a quicker, more athletic team. It's when our defensive deficiencies really start to show.
but we worked on Defense all off season; i think it showed last night

will it show tonight?

we will see

can we guard the 3 and make them uncomfortable?

can we get the long rebounds when they miss?

I will take it! what did it have for Iowa/Oregon? :)
Believe the ESPN prediction for Iowa/Oregon was 54% leaning towards Iowa. The UConn matchup will be totally different however. If Iowa can keep the TOs down enough to keep feeding the post, they have a good chance. This would reduce UConn’s possessions in the open floor too- the biggest defensive danger zone for us in this matchup.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
Because we (mostly) always do when we get into a run and gun game with a quicker, more athletic team. It's when our defensive deficiencies really start to show.

but we worked on Defense all off season; i think it showed last night

will it show tonight?

If Iowa is able to play good defense than it won't be a shoot out (scores in upper 80s or 90s). birthhawk's point is that (poor defense) shoot out games generally don't favor the Hawks. I think the stat they quoted last night was that IA lost 4 Big10 games last year where they scored more than 80 points.

Reactions: birthhawk
If Iowa is able to play good defense than it won't be a shoot out (scores in upper 80s or 90s). birthhawk's point is that (poor defense) shoot out games generally don't favor the Hawks. I think the stat they quoted last night was that IA lost 4 Big10 games last year where they scored more than 80 points.
i really liked how we defended last night

it will be interesting to see if this is a trend or a fluke

Can we guard the 3? We will find out tonight.

Reactions: Crazy Hawk
i really liked how we defended last night

it will be interesting to see if this is a trend or a fluke

Can we guard the 3? We will find out tonight.

The winner between Iowa's defense and UCONN's 3 point shooting wins....possibly running away.

Yes, I share your same sentiments about El-Amin..had forgotten that guy until now...

The game will start 30 minutes after the completion of the first game.
You are correct regarding the 6 pm tip time. :)

Iowa hoops is also correct regarding the 6 pm tip time (I doubt they would tweet out incorrect info)..

Mark Emmert of the Des Moines Register is also correct regarding the 6 pm tip time..

tumblr_inline_mqoo52jDBX1qz4rgp.gif

i remember Dick Vitale slobbering all over his microphone after the game stating how great of a coach Alford was

Bittersweet memory. Alford's first regular season game, right?

Meanwhile, we were saying "Kurt who??"

It’s halftime between Syracuse and Oregon. Oregon’s up 35-22. Maybe that’s a good sign for playing UConn? It would seem awfully quick to start the 2nd game at 5:30pm given this.

Agree ... Thought Boy Wonder was going to elevate Iowa bb ... (I can't believe that game was 19 years ago! Yikes ... time zips by) ...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT