ADVERTISEMENT

Official Nickname?

What is your preferred nickname for Cael?

• Kale

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Carl

Votes: 58 68.2%
  • Bael

Votes: 24 28.2%

• Total voters

Aardvark86

HR Heisman
Jan 23, 2018
So in another thread, one of you found it humorous that, as a PSU fan, I was willing to refer to Cael as Bael during the string. That got me thinking -- which of the three common board nicknames for Cael is the most popular here? I can see how you would think that each has its charms:
- Kale - a horrific green vegetable that is difficult to swallow
- Carl - evocative of the not-too-tasty "Carls Jr." burger franchise
- Bael - I don't even know, but it's just funny

So what say you?

Last edited:
Reactions: FrontHeadlock2
According to my internet research....

Bael is one of the seven princes of Hell. The name is drawn from the Canaanite deity Baal mentioned in the Hebrew Bible as the primary god of the Phoenicians. In this unholy hierarchy, Bael was ranked as the first and principal king in Hell, ruling over the East.

But I don't think that the overseer of the Nittany Lions is THIS Bael. :eek:

For those that don't know (most do) the reason for misspelling his name is a way of paying homage to Ironside. He kept mispronouncing Logan Stieblers name on a radio broadcast (I think big tens his freshman year). He was still having trouble with it into the next season. He finally just started calling him Logan. The kid was a freshman national champ and Ironside still couldn't get his name right.

You are not an Iowa fan if you don't love Ironside. Even if he calls a whizzer a wizard.

For those that don't know (most do) the reason for misspelling his name is a way of paying homage to Ironside. He kept mispronouncing Logan Stieblers name on a radio broadcast (I think big tens his freshman year). He was still having trouble with it into the next season. He finally just started calling him Logan. The kid was a freshman national champ and Ironside still couldn't get his name right.

You are not an Iowa fan if you don't love Ironside. Even if he calls a whizzer a wizard.
Love Ironside and his “change the name game” it should be a new board game by Hasbro. I’m a lean towards Carl it just sounds the part...

Last edited:
Reactions: wasdt21
So in another thread, one of you found it humorous that, as a PSU fan, I was willing to refer to Cael as Bael during the string. That got me thinking -- which of the three common board nicknames for Cael is the most popular here? I can see how you would think that each has its charms:

So what say you?

Carl bailed on ISU. That’s why we call him bael.

Bale has a slight mean edge to it . Carl is funny because Cael is so uniquely Cael and he just doesn't look like a Carl. It's like we are making fun of ourselves by using it. And it's kind of an inside joke.

He doesn't?

slingblade.jpg

This past fall, I walked back to my car after the Iowa-PSU football game alongside an older PSU couple. I started talking about wrestling and complimented them on PSU’s success, the older gentleman stated “that Carl Sanderson has done a really great job.” So, I’ll go with Carl because their own fans even call him that.

Shockingly enough I was actually aware of those. :)

According to my internet research....

Bael is one of the seven princes of Hell. The name is drawn from the Canaanite deity Baal mentioned in the Hebrew Bible as the primary god of the Phoenicians. In this unholy hierarchy, Bael was ranked as the first and principal king in Hell, ruling over the East.

But I don't think that the overseer of the Nittany Lions is THIS Bael. :eek:
God this board is educational.

You are all wrong. If you are capitalizing the name you are showing way too much respect. And it will always be karl with a "k" to me.

Reactions: The catman
When I hear Carl I think of Brian Doyle Murray in Christmas vacation calling Chevy chase (Clark) Carl.

This is why i like Carl so much. Its not too obvious, but just subversive enough to be insulting. Like 'maybe i just don't care enough about you to learn your name or bother to get it right'

Similarly, ISU's new coach 'Dressler'

So what say you?
Cael

Reactions: LumbeeIndian
My recollection of how Carl came into being was somone tried to post Cael.......but the R is right next to the E on the keyboard and simply hit the wrong key by accident. Then didn't proofread, as many don't.

IIRC it was WDMHawkeye who noticed it and said let's go with it. Since then it has morphed into many different spellings of many names. Picinic for example.

IT'S WHAT WE DO HERE!!!!

As a PSU fan, I have not been overly sensitive to use of the "Carl" nickname . . . mainly because the name makes me think of this guy:

tumblr_mtfunpr5kJ1rn4ocio1_500.png
For a minute I thought that was bill dauterive. Must be an archetype.

Ps, check out what spell check does to dauterive

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT