ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Rabbi/Prof Jay Holstein Thread*****

spiderland

HR Heisman
Dec 2, 2004
Consider this a repository for all things related to J-C Tradition (NOT The Tradition), Quest for Human Destiny, or any other fortuitous intellectual encounter you may have had with the master.

I recently uncovered my notebook from QFHD Spring 1984. Reading list:

Ecclesiastes
Catcher in the Rye
Old Man and the Sea
Siddhartha
Childhood’s End
The King Must Die
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
Tarzan

We watched 2001: A Space Odyssey and Lord of the Flies.

I have a note about Breaker Morant, so clearly Holstein had seen the film, but it probably hadn’t been released yet to be shown outside of theaters.

Religion = a feeling of inadequacy and a response to that feeling.

Whatcha got?

Quest for Human Destiny (maybe 1992?) was by far the best class I ever had from Kindergarten through my masters. Holstein is a legend.

giphy.gif

I regrettably never took his class. I tried reading Catcher In the Rye when I was 24 or 25 and had to put it down after about 30 pages because I hated Holden so much. Credit to Salinger, I fully believed Holden was real. I could probably read it now and not hate Holden.
Same. And I read A Day in the Life of Ivan… in HS and it was a slog. Depressing. But I was too young for that too.

Consider this a repository for all things related to J-C Tradition (NOT The Tradition), Quest for Human Destiny, or any other fortuitous intellectual encounter you may have had with the master.

I recently uncovered my notebook from QFHD Spring 1984. Reading list:

Ecclesiastes
Catcher in the Rye
Old Man and the Sea
Siddhartha
Childhood’s End
The King Must Die
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich
Tarzan

We watched 2001: A Space Odyssey and Lord of the Flies.

I have a note about Breaker Morant, so clearly Holstein had seen the film, but it probably hadn’t been released yet to be shown outside of theaters.

Religion = a feeling of inadequacy and a response to that feeling.

Whatcha got?
Breaker Morant is a great film.

I never took his class, but I wish I had. My favorite professors at Iowa were Shelton Stromquist (history) and John Erickson & John Bennett in the journalism department.

I never took his class, but I wish I had. My favorite professors at Iowa were Shelton Stromquist (history) and John Erickson & John Bennett in the journalism department.

Old Jonathan Goldstein is the guy who got me into Plutarch's Lives. Also Sydney James was a Colonial American History Professor I liked.

Reactions: hawkifann
Quest and Jay Holstein was a very interesting experience…and what college is all about.

Reactions: VodkaSam
He told a Holocaust joke in Judeo Christian Tradition and said if anyone laughed he would punch them in the face. What’s the difference between a Jew and a pizza? The pizza doesn’t scream when you put it in the oven. Nobody laughed.

Old Jonathan Goldstein is the guy who got me into Plutarch's Lives. Also Sydney James was a Colonial American History Professor I liked.
Goldstein was my advisor for History (graduated double major with Journalism). I took one of his Ancient Greece classes and he and I just never clicked. Solid human being, but not one of my favorite profs. He knew his sh1t, though.

Reactions: JRHawk2003
Goldstein was my advisor for History (graduated double major with Journalism). I took one of his Ancient Greece classes and he and I just never clicked. Solid human being, but not one of my favorite profs. He knew his sh1t, though.

Did you have Malcolm Rohrbaugh? He did American West stuff. I liked him too. I had a minor in American History.

Did you have Malcolm Rohrbaugh? He did American West stuff. I liked him too. I had a minor in American History.
That name sounds familiar and I did take one class on something in the American West, so I probably did have him. Don’t really remember him, though. I was disappointed when I could only get The Gilded Age in my first semester after switching to Journalism/History, but then Stromquist was amazing and the post-Reconstruction/pre-WWI became my favorite era of US history.

I took Quest as a three week summer class. Approximately 30-40 students in the room. One of the best classes and learning experiences I’ve ever had.

Reactions: spiderland
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT