ADVERTISEMENT

Officials worry DMV's move to Coralville limits access despite added space

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A new DMV office opened in Coralville last week in what some officials claim was a sudden decision that limits community access.

The Eastdale Plaza DMV location in Iowa City closed July 26, less than a week after the state Department of Transportation announced they would move all services to 2303 Jones Blvd. in Coralville, on the north side of Interstate 80.

“The new location, between Theisen’s and Costco, was chosen after an extensive search for a space that could better accommodate the volume of customers in this area,” the state DOT said in a statement on July 21. “It will offer customers a larger, more spacious and modern facility to do business. We will offer the same services, just at a new location.”

Local officials worried about limited bus access​

Iowa City Councilor Shawn Harmsen expressed concerns to the Press-Citizen about how the DMV's move decreases access because current transit lines do not come close to the new facility.

Others have also posted in forums throughout the community, including Facebook and Reddit, with similar concerns of access.

Currently, the Coralville 5th Street bus route takes riders within about three-quarters of a mile of the new location on Jones Blvd., stopping at the intersection of Commerce Drive and Commercial Park.

Buses along this route arrive once an hour, pedestrians who walk from the stop to the DMV would have to contend with a hill and minimal sidewalks.

• Haha
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
Coralville learned about the move via the press release… Really solid work by the DOT.
It wasn’t just the IC location. I believe 4-5 others have been relocated. There seems to be a little Covid butt hurt in these moves.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
I’m ok with it if the DOT would work towards making it unnecessary to go to the DOT office, except for your initial visit.

I want to be sarcastic and say "It's the department of MOTOR VEHICLES - not the department of riding the bus!!"

:)
Ha! Good one. But seriously, to me, this move to a place where there is no bus service does seem a little weird. I mean, if you need a driver's license...how are you supposed to get to the DL station in the first place?

If it was just additional space that the DL station needed then why not lease a little more room at Eastdale? That place is far from packed out.

Kimmy will be along shortly to remind us that her state agencies know what’s best for all of the people of Iowa. And they certainly don’t have to work with any local governments on these things, especially those located in liberal hotspots like Johnson County.

Ha! Good one. But seriously, to me, this move to a place where there is no bus service does seem a little weird. I mean, if you need a driver's license...how are you supposed to get to the DL station in the first place?

If it was just additional space that the DL station needed then why not lease a little more room at Eastdale? That place is far from packed out.
As I mentioned, all of the offices in shared buildings are being moved. During Covid some offices faced restrictions due to not being stand alone facilities owned/leased by the state.

• Haha
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
Ya gotsa admit eastdale plaza was a sarcophagus. That mall and I use that term very very loosely was last rocking umm never. I came to Iowa City in 1981 and it was a dead zone even then. Less dead than now but now only the ghosts of Kent studio, the sporting goods store and the ad sheet kiosk roam the mall.

Along with immigrants who barely speak English, probably cannot drive, getting shiny new licenses to get busy on America's highways.

Now at least you can go sample crap at Costco when getting your real id.

A state issued license is necessary to vote in Iowa. Putting it someplace that some members cannot get to easily is poor form. The elderly, the handicapped, the Chicago people...
Oh I know. I was joking - I thought it was funny. I totally understand the potential ill-intent with a) saying that you need a govt ID to vote, and b) putting the place where you have to get that in a place that's hard to get to if you're poor/immobile.

Yeah….as someone who isn’t all the way over on the East Side of IC….I like this move. Plus as others said, Eastdale is a complete dead zone.

Reactions: GOHOX69
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT