ADVERTISEMENT

Offshoot of burial question, how often do you visit a grave or mausoleum

Fijimn

HR Legend
May 7, 2008
I’m actually in northern Louisiana and plan on visiting the grave of a very good friend that passed away last year. First time seeing his grave. My family doesn’t do funerals or graves so I never had anywhere to visit growing up. My wife’s family are all buried in Galveston and she’ll visit her mom periodically.

Not very often at all. Usually it's to check out the gravesite of someone famous, rather than for family.

The last time I went to a cemetery was a couple of years ago to see where Lee Harvey Oswald was buried in Ft. Worth.

c3dhbGQuanBn.jpg

Not very often at all. Usually it's to check out the gravesite of someone famous, rather than for family.

The last time I went to a cemetery was a couple of years ago to see where Lee Harvey Oswald was buried in Ft. Worth.

c3dhbGQuanBn.jpg
Check out the Howard Hughes grave in Houston next time you’re in town.

Not very often. Likely why I lean towards cremation and scattering of ashes.

If money is available I would rather donate to an Oasis on a bike trail or a permanent bench/bridge on a bike trail. More people would see/enjoy/appreciate it vs taking up land space. After a generation almost nobody will visit a particular grave.

I'm not sure that I have ever visited one for someone who I actually knew personally. Have been to sites for tourism but not for personal reasons.

My parents bought us a giant plot. Room for the folks and all of us kids and their various spouses, Mom being the ever frugal got all our names and birthdates pre-engraved. There is "only room for the cremated" (good album title?), but its kind of odd going by and seeing my name on that stone. Thought about f%^$#ing with my sibs and putting some end dates on their for them..... Anyway to answer the question, I drop by their graves from time to time or on a holidays. Not sure why.

Ive visited my grandparents and cousin from time to time.
I’m sure I’ll visit my parents and siblings more if/when that day comes.
I think that age plays a big role in how much someone is visited as well.
I feel like if someone passes away at a younger age, they will be visited more often.

For example, if a young father with children passes away, his family will probably visit often.
If an old father that’s 90 passes away, he might not be visited as much by his children or grandchildren.

I rarely get back to Clinton but when I do I visit family members graves...grandparents, aunts/uncles and brother.

All in the same cemetery near Eagle Point park.

Once in awhile. Sometimes I go down to Louisa County to see the ancestors and someone else must be visiting because the gravesite is tidy and well kept. I went to Oakland Cemetery in IC a few years ago just to say hello to some folks on a slender limb of the family tree and it was apparent that nobody had visited for years. Which is why I decided on cremation, and said so in the related thread. I'm sure our kids will drop by, but 100 years from now I'd just be taking up space, and my grave would be like some of the rarely visited ones I mentioned.
Side note, cemeteries can be neat places to visit. I like to visit Graceland and Hebrew Benovelent when I am in Chicago. to see the Cubs. Lots of famous people are buried there, and it's a decent walk. Ernie Banks is there. Lots of names that are synonymous with some of the biggest streets and neighborhoods in Chicago are represented.

Only Arlington when I'm in DC. Otherwise, I only go to a cemetary for a funeral, and I try to skip as many as I can.

We're pretty similar. I hate funerals. Maybe that makes me weak. I just have a hard time with them.

Arlington is special place though. If I lived out there, I'd probably go on quiet walks there routinely.

Maybe once a year.

I went last Friday to find a neighbor's headstone to pray at and couldn't find it.

He was buried in November so maybe it wasn't placed yet.

I visit my grandparents graves when I'm in Cedar Falls, I visit some of my friends graves in Mason City when I have time. My friends bodies aren't in there as they were cremated and their parents have the ashes so it's really just a stone.

Reactions: BrianNole777
We're pretty similar. I hate funerals. Maybe that makes me weak. I just have a hard time with them.

Arlington is special place though. If I lived out there, I'd probably go on quiet walks there routinely.

Yeah, I was ok with them for a long time. Then I started having friends die in Iraq/AFG. And while it was never said, I'd think "I wonder if she's (sometimes he) thinking "Why's he still here and my spouse is gone?""

Ex. I lost a deployment because of my heart attack (I was supposed to deploy that summer). A good friend of mine took my place (he volunteered to go, knowing he was replacing me). He got killed at an ECP in AFG when a bad dude opened fire. I'd have been the one there if I hadn't had a heart attack. It was really hard to see his wife after that. So yeah, I avoid funerals like the plague.

My husband has been gone 18 years. I visit about once a month. In fact I’m going this week to put fresh spring flowers (artificial) in his headstone. My Mom and Dad are three rows over and I visit them too. I have votive candles put out every Christmas for them.

(csb)

When I first got married 30 years I had a tendency to make my (no pics) SIL cry. I wasn’t trying to be mean, but she had a habit of saying really dumb things and I reflexively made smartass comments without thinking first.

One time they were preparing to visit their grandfather’s grave to put flowers on his tombstone for Memorial Day. She wondered out loud “How do you know where someone is buried in the cemetery? Do they bury them in alphabetical order?”

Before I could stop myself, I replied “Yes, they do. And it’s a real bitch when an Anderson dies because they have to move everybody down one.”

My wife’s family doesn’t like me very much.

(/csb)

Not often but I've never lost anyone I felt very close with.

My parents are still around. My maternal grandmother died before I was born, my maternal grandfather died when I was 1 and I don't remember him.

My paternal grandparents were never very close to me. They had 18 grandkids and I wasn't among the favorites. . . They didn't even bother to get my name right. From as far back as I can remember up until my grandmother lost the ability to speak due to stroke she always called me by the wrong name. Even after her daughter (my favorite aunt) bitched her out about it.

My wife and I go to central Georgia every year to check on and clean up the cemetery plots where my parents, grandparents and great grandparents are buried. There are two plots in neighboring towns. One is the city cemetery which is well maintained. Usually, we just have to replace the artificial flowers there. The other is also a city cemetery but maintained through a private fund which we contribute to yearly. More work is necessary there. We found D/2 Biological Cleaner which has restored 100 year old grave markers to close to original condition.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Very rarely. My parents were both cremated, but have a stone & a portion of each of their ashes at the National Cemetery in central FL. My dad was the 2nd to die; after his ceremony it was a few months before the final, formal headstone came in & was installed. I went back shortly after it was done but haven't been back since.

The only other times have been if I'm at a particular cemetery for a service and the gravesite is near that of a friend or family member.

Other than with my folks' headstone, I don't recall ever going to a cemetery if there wasn't an active service happening.

I walk my dog through a massive cemetery about 4 times per week. I don't know anyone that is buried there, but I look at all the headstones.

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT