ADVERTISEMENT

oh no - what the hey- pandemic looks like it my be receding

Alright I will remove as usual. But if you were basing your argument on any source material it was either Magat and/or Russia derived. Only a handful of adults have died of starvation in America (and you have to say adults because children who can’t feed themselves are not so infrequently starved by their negligent parents) and that would be people too high and/or “crazy” to apply for/go get food.
Referring to people as "Magats" is not helping, either.

You're asking a question no one can answer. We have no idea when an effective treatment might emerge. We have no idea when tests will be available in such numbers as to be ubiquitous. We have no idea right now WHAT might come along that would reduce deaths to an acceptable level or when it will appear. What could there possibly be to converse about? The only conversation is about how long we maintain the current status quo - our only effective weapon - against the likelihood of many more deaths.

Our car has no brakes, no seatbelts, there's no speed limit, and the accelerator is likely to drop to the floor if you crank it up. And we have NO fix for any of that except to stay the fvck out of the car. THAT'S why people go to how many deaths you will accept immediately when you post something like your OP. There is literally nothing else to talk about.

I already told you I agree with you about how many deaths are "acceptable", although I'd prefer to view it as how many lives we can reasonably hope to save, because it's hard to really view any deaths as acceptable. Look at the last post I made inviting you to a discussion, and starting with two - now a third - set of facts I believe we can start by agreeing on.

I do reject our comment that I've asked a question nobody can answer. Heck, you've announced multiple times that you have the answer. The question I ask is the only question worth discussing. How do we best minimize deaths?

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
I appreciate your willingness to discuss.

Two things is your 160K number is wrong for the "twice as bad as the normal flu season" . The worst season was 2017-2018 was actually 61K and not 79K as earlier estimated and always used by people trying top make your argument. So that hypothetical number is 122K. And that is for an entire year....

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2017-2018.htm

But really the important thing is time.

This has not even peaked.

We are up to 1400 dead TODAY and counting. That is 1.1% of your hypothetical "if twice as bad as your worst flu would we shut things down scenario" in one day.

The US has lost 10% of your hypothetical scenario in TWO WEEKS. And that is after shutting things down to bust the curve. So now imagine if we had done nothing and hospitals have maxed out, and everyone one having a medical emergency is in a world of trouble right now..

This thing is a killer and I wish we would stop saying it is just like a real bad flu, though I suppose that is better than saying it is just the flu....

Europe is at 55K dead in one singular month, with the UK Prime Minister in ICU. And it has not peaked there, I am sad to report, just looking at the numbers. Their highest estimate for FLU deaths is 50K...so they lost the equivalent of the worst flu in one month and numbers are still rising.

Again not the point I'm making,... Somewhere between a million deaths and zero deaths is a number that we, as a society, would be willing to accept. I say this merely as a counter to those who are suggesting that we remain in lock down until we have a vaccine...

Reactions: artradley
I already told you I agree with you about how many deaths are "acceptable", although I'd prefer to view it as how many lives we can reasonably hope to save, because it's hard to really view any deaths as acceptable. Look at the last post I made inviting you to a discussion, and starting with two - now a third - set of facts I believe we can start by agreeing on.

I do reject our comment that I've asked a question nobody can answer. Heck, you've announced multiple times that you have the answer. The question I ask is the only question worth discussing. How do we best minimize deaths?
No...i haven't. I've laid out what would be necessary to consider ending the current SIP while mitigating deaths. That could happen in a month or two months or three months. The WHEN is the critical issue not the WHAT. If we're three months out and are still looking at hundreds of thousands dead versus a crashing economy the calculus is MUCH different than it would be a month from now. We might be ready to accept 250,000 or 500,000 dead in three months while we wouldn't now. This is not a static target.

Again not the point I'm making,... Somewhere between a million deaths and zero deaths is a number that we, as a society, would be willing to accept. I say this merely as a counter to those who are suggesting that we remain in lock down until we have a vaccine...
Who is suggesting we stay in lock down until a vaccine? That has never been the endgame.

Referring to people as "Magats" is not helping, either.

Oh they deserve it. A more loathsome group of people can’t be found. Racist science-haters who support maybe the most vile person ever elected to an office anywhere. A guy who is decades-long personal friends with a minimum of five pedophiles who is a pedophile himself according to the sworn testimony of a teen he raped. They deserve to have their face rubbed in it at all times until eventually it clicks that they ARE the worst scum.

No...i haven't. I've laid out what would be necessary to consider ending the current SIP while mitigating deaths. That could happen in a month or two months or three months. The WHEN is the critical issue not the WHAT. If we're three months out and are still looking at hundreds of thousands dead versus a crashing economy the calculus is MUCH different than it would be a month from now. We might be ready to accept 250,000 or 500,000 dead in three months while we wouldn't now. This is not a static target.

While this all makes sense, I want to show you where you're not getting my stance. You are starting with a premise that the current SIP is absolutely the correct thing to be doing right now. I disagree, I think the current approach is disorganized, confusing, and inefficient. Worse, I believe it is incredibly risky. I understand why you think the only possible thing we can do is keep going with this approach and re-evaluating periodically. It makes sense. But I disagree.

I disagree primarily because I have more faith that our doctors and scientists can find solutions in a timely manner than I have faith that our society can maintain its sanity under such a high level of stress and uncertainty. Especially given the fact that we don't have leaders who have any idea how to guide us through this. So I start with less concern that a million people will die, and more concern that too much stress and uncertainty, for too long, might cause a near society collapse.

At least you are willing to adjust the goals as the results come in. That's a good thing and, I believe, sets you apart. I would be willing to do the same thing. But my initial approach would not be the current SIP with businesses all shut down. Here are my thoughts.

First, this is a terrible stress on our system, both individuals and institutions. Good people who run small businesses are being destroyed. Working folks are losing jobs. We are captive in our homes. We can't be told this is indefinite. We simply can't. Your approach seems more academic. But I believe it fails to consider human reactions. Things are going to get very ugly soon. Perhaps if a Churchill or FDR were leading us we could make it. But we don't have that going for us.

Second, it's inefficient. This is sort of a "carpet bombing" approach, when surgical strikes would be more efficient. There are specific demographics involved that would allow us to target things with more precision. We can keep hospitals and nursing homes closed to all but patients and staff indefinitely; and that would be a big help. We can put more stringent controls in hot spots like NY, NJ, Louisiana. Colleges can easily remain online for a long period of time. These kinds of measures would make a huge cut to the number of deaths, without exerting nearly the stress on the system that we currently have.

Finally, it is not sustainable. IMO two or three more months and we would have disaster not seen since the Great Depression. Even if you disagree you have to see that six months to a year would be intolerable. And if we have not yet found a vaccine by time we reach our breaking point, then what?

What we need is a more efficient approach that saves nearly as many lives, but which also exerts less stress on the system so those measures can remain in place indefinitely. Target the demographics that give us the greatest returns. Allow businesses to re-open, but with safety measures in place. For instance, a retail operation should require face masks on their employees on the floor, and a Plexiglas barrier between cashiers and customers. There are a ton of things we could do that would allow us to go back to "close" to normal and still save lives.

The problem with my approach is that if things fall within a range of our current expected outcomes, fewer lives would be saved. But with the current approach, which is not sustainable, we risk an economic and societal breakdown. And if that occurs before we have a vaccine, far more people will die.

For those reasons I believe what we are currently doing is far, far more dangerous than what I would advocate.

Oh they deserve it. A more loathsome group of people can’t be found. Racist science-haters who support maybe the most vile person ever elected to an office anywhere. A guy who is decades-long personal friends with a minimum of five pedophiles who is a pedophile himself according to the sworn testimony of a teen he raped. They deserve to have their face rubbed in it at all times until eventually it clicks that they ARE the worst scum.
Dehumanizing humans ain't helping. A "Maggot" isn't highly regarded in our lexicon. You're not converting anyone by dehumanizing them. Carry on with your rage.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
Who is suggesting we stay in lock down until a vaccine? That has never been the endgame.

While you may not be suggesting this, it has been mentioned by multiple posters, multiple times here on HROT over the past 2+ weeks...including one poster who describes themselves as a physician. I have interacted with probably at least 3 or 4 people who have said such a thing on HROT alone.

This is not counting any other similar comments that I have seen on Facebook daily. Again, you may not feel that way and you also may not have encountered those posts, but they do exist.

Dehumanizing humans ain't helping. A "Maggot" isn't highly regarded in our lexicon. You're not converting anyone by dehumanizing them. Carry on with your rage.

Are they human? They certainly lack lack empathy and compassion which is usually a defining characteristic.

What we need is a more efficient approach that saves nearly as many lives, but which also exerts less stress on the system so those measures can remain in place indefinitely. Target the demographics that give us the greatest returns. Allow businesses to re-open, but with safety measures in place. For instance, a retail operation should require face masks on their employees on the floor, and a Plexiglas barrier between cashiers and customers. There are a ton of things we could do that would allow us to go back to "close" to normal and still save lives.
I have no idea if your plan saves "nearly as many lives" - and neither do you. What is certain is that cases and deaths will head back up. We don't even know yet whether being previously infected confers immunity. RSV - a common seasonal respiratory virus - doesn't. So the virus could be circulating indefinitely. Masks would be great...if we had the masks. And people wore them. Properly. Plexi is great...won't protect shoppers from each other.

What you're speculating on is a bet. And we won't know whether we won or lost until it's too late to do anything about it. So that brings us back to the original question you find so unappealing - how many lives would it be worth for us to do what you propose?

NC's order runs out at the end of April. We may know enough by then to implement some or all of what you propose. We may have an effective treatment by then. We may have plenty of simple, fast tests available. We might not. So - simple question - with everything we don't know, are you ready to push your plan right now and insure an unknown number of additional deaths in order to save the economy?

While you may not be suggesting this, it has been mentioned by multiple posters, multiple times here on HROT over the past 2+ weeks...including one poster who describes themselves as a physician. I have interacted with probably at least 3 or 4 people who have said such a thing on HROT alone.
So name the posters. Link their claims. I'd like to see them because that's just stupid...assuming it's true.

He does it because it feels good, not because he's trying to convert anyone.
He's not Gunnery Sgt. Hartmann, fer crissakes.
While this all makes sense, I want to show you where you're not getting my stance. You are starting with a premise that the current SIP is absolutely the correct thing to be doing right now. I disagree, I think the current approach is disorganized, confusing, and inefficient. Worse, I believe it is incredibly risky. I understand why you think the only possible thing we can do is keep going with this approach and re-evaluating periodically. It makes sense. But I disagree.

I disagree primarily because I have more faith that our doctors and scientists can find solutions in a timely manner than I have faith that our society can maintain its sanity under such a high level of stress and uncertainty. Especially given the fact that we don't have leaders who have any idea how to guide us through this. So I start with less concern that a million people will die, and more concern that too much stress and uncertainty, for too long, might cause a near society collapse.

At least you are willing to adjust the goals as the results come in. That's a good thing and, I believe, sets you apart. I would be willing to do the same thing. But my initial approach would not be the current SIP with businesses all shut down. Here are my thoughts.

First, this is a terrible stress on our system, both individuals and institutions. Good people who run small businesses are being destroyed. Working folks are losing jobs. We are captive in our homes. We can't be told this is indefinite. We simply can't. Your approach seems more academic. But I believe it fails to consider human reactions. Things are going to get very ugly soon. Perhaps if a Churchill or FDR were leading us we could make it. But we don't have that going for us.

Second, it's inefficient. This is sort of a "carpet bombing" approach, when surgical strikes would be more efficient. There are specific demographics involved that would allow us to target things with more precision. We can keep hospitals and nursing homes closed to all but patients and staff indefinitely; and that would be a big help. We can put more stringent controls in hot spots like NY, NJ, Louisiana. Colleges can easily remain online for a long period of time. These kinds of measures would make a huge cut to the number of deaths, without exerting nearly the stress on the system that we currently have.

Finally, it is not sustainable. IMO two or three more months and we would have disaster not seen since the Great Depression. Even if you disagree you have to see that six months to a year would be intolerable. And if we have not yet found a vaccine by time we reach our breaking point, then what?

The problem with my approach is that if things fall within a range of our current expected outcomes, fewer lives would be saved. But with the current approach, which is not sustainable, we risk an economic and societal breakdown. And if that occurs before we have a vaccine, far more people will die.

For those reasons I believe what we are currently doing is far, far more dangerous than what I would advocate.

tl:dr

Too busy sharpening my son's boomerang.

giphy.gif

Reactions: artradley
So name the posters. Link their claims. I'd like to see them because that's just stupid...assuming it's true.

I normally fully subscribe to the "show your work", "provide a link" line of thinking. In this case, it would require me to read back through hundreds of threads and thousands of posts to do a complete work. I can tell you for sure though that there have been multiple, as I have read and interacted with them several times.

Below though is one link that I was able to find about 8 pages back in my history. I do not plan on looking for more in the interest of time, but these statements/claims have been made be various posters, multiple times. Check out post #41 for starters.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thre...ng-to-be-like-this-until-october.310838/page-2

I have no idea if your plan saves "nearly as many lives" - and neither do you. What is certain is that cases and deaths will head back up.

If we don't know how effective mine would be, and we don't know how effective SIP is, I think it's tenuous to suggest we know with certainty the more targeted plan would cause deaths to increase. In fact, if we are able to concentrate efforts on the more vulnerable targets it could be that deaths will go down. I believe that on balance my plan provides better outcomes with lower risk.

Masks would be great...if we had the masks. And people wore them. Properly. Plexi is great...won't protect shoppers from each other.

Again, these are just examples. In this case my thought is that an individual shopper probably only gets close to a handful of other shoppers, briefly, while the workers will encounter dozens of customers, often for a couple of minutes. So bigger bang for the buck emphasizing the workers. People who know more than me would come up with the details, but the emphasis is always on sustainable solutions that target the greatest risk.

What you're speculating on is a bet. And we won't know whether we won or lost until it's too late to do anything about it. So that brings us back to the original question you find so unappealing - how many lives would it be worth for us to do what you propose?

Asked and answered multiple times.

NC's order runs out at the end of April. We may know enough by then to implement some or all of what you propose. We may have an effective treatment by then. We may have plenty of simple, fast tests available. We might not. So - simple question - with everything we don't know, are you ready to push your plan right now and insure an unknown number of additional deaths in order to save the economy?

I've actually always been okay with a tight lock down immediately because we didn't have time to formulate a full-scale strategy. We still won't know for certain the final implications if we switch from a nationwide SIP to a more targeted approach. But I feel with absolute certainty that a nationwide SIP cannot last far into the summer before chaos ensues. So, yes, I am ready to push my plan starting the end of May. I believe there is less risk with my plan, because it is sustainable and yours is not.

I think it's tenuous to suggest we know with certainty the more targeted plan would cause deaths to increase.
Actually we kind of do. Look at countries that had an abundant testing, tracking, and isolating plan vs those that did not and check out the mortality rates.

Look, I get what you are saying and it has merit. The issue I have is twofold:

1) I view the current SIP/social distancing plan as a temporary thing lasting maybe for two more months at most. I truly believe along with many experts that the economy will bounce back fairly quickly.

2) I think the targeted plan you mention is good. The problem I have is I don't trust this administration to be able to coordinate, manage, and carry out a logistical plan such as you mention.

I'm more than willing to express my thoughts. And more than once I've laid out my detailed explanation of how to best approach this. But nobody ever, ever, has actually tackled those - and instead concentrate on peripheral issues and arguing against things I've never said.
That's not true. I have specifically addressed multiple points of yours and have tried to have a good conversation with you. My perspective might be wrong but it seems to me you are not wanting to talk specifics of this "balance" plan and instead just talk high level 10,000 foot view.

Again, maybe I'm not seeing your perspective and that is possible given this is an internet forum :)

I normally fully subscribe to the "show your work", "provide a link" line of thinking. In this case, it would require me to read back through hundreds of threads and thousands of posts to do a complete work. I can tell you for sure though that there have been multiple, as I have read and interacted with them several times.

Below though is one link that I was able to find about 8 pages back in my history. I do not plan on looking for more in the interest of time, but these statements/claims have been made be various posters, multiple times. Check out post #41 for starters.

https://iowa.forums.rivals.com/thre...ng-to-be-like-this-until-october.310838/page-2
Yep...that's dumb. Sorry nat.

So, yes, I am ready to push my plan starting the end of May. I believe there is less risk with my plan, because it is sustainable and yours is not.
LOL...you have no earthly idea where we'll be at the end of May. Regardless, how is widespread testing and effective treatment not "sustainable".

30,306 new cases and 1,255 new deaths as of 7:30 CST 4/6/20. The OP needs to crawl back into his hole and not show his face around here anymore.
Figures for 4/7/20 as of 4:15 CST 26,778 new cases and 1,821 new deaths. Yeah. It's definitely receding.

If we don't know how effective mine would be, and we don't know how effective SIP is, I think it's tenuous to suggest we know with certainty the more targeted plan would cause deaths to increase.
And that's just dumb. Are you suggesting that more mixing will lessen the incidence of a highly infectious disease?

And that's just dumb. Are you suggesting that more mixing will lessen the incidence of a highly infectious disease?

I’m saying a sustainable set of measures could be more effective than an unsustainable set of measures that piss people off until they abandon them altogether and close their minds to other options.

Figures for 4/7/20 as of 4:15 CST 26,778 new cases and 1,821 new deaths. Yeah. It's definitely receding.
Actually this is good news because we are well below the projection. We were supposed to be at 2140 new deaths today for a total of 14678. We are currently at 12,710 deaths. So while those deaths are awful our deaths are not even close to meeting the models projections. But keep playing the narrative

Actually this is good news because we are well below the projection. We were supposed to be at 2140 new deaths today for a total of 14678. We are currently at 12,710 deaths. So while those deaths are awful our deaths are not even close to meeting the models projections. But keep playing the narrative
"Well below" and "not even close?" What would be "Close" for you? I realize that "relative" is relative, but we're less than 2000 from the projection. Do you need it to be plus/minus 10 or 20?

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I’m saying a sustainable set of measures could be more effective than an unsustainable set of measures that piss people off until they abandon them altogether and close their minds to other options.
What do you believe is a sustainable set of measures?

That is because of the social distancing and stay at home measures. They are helping. Overall its good news but we can't let up yet.

Reactions: damayason
"Well below" and "not even close?" What would be "Close" for you? I realize that "relative" is relative, but we're less than 2000 from the projection. Do you need it to be plus/minus 10 or 20?
Well the range today was from 13000-16000 deaths and we have come under the entire range. If you don't think that this is flattening, I don't know what to tell ya. Hospitalizations in most places are dropping and the model continues to overestimate how many beds and ventilators we need compared to what is actually being used. This is a good thing. Everyone needs to stay home through April 30, and then we can gradually open things up with full economic action by June 1. We will need to get people back to work by that point or the economy may not come back for a few years.

Our current measures are unsustainable.
LOL...neither are yours. We're going to lock up everybody over...what?...50?...60?...70? And anybody who's obese...in THIS country? And anybody with diabeetus? And anybody with COPD or asthma or any other "underlying health condition" so everybody else can go back to BAU? That's not "sustainable". Nothing that restricts movement is sustainable.

This will be a work in progress. We can't know where we'll be at the end of May nor what measures will be effective. Speculating is fine - claiming one path or another is the "right one" is kind of foolish. And before you start...SIP isn't the "right one", it's just the only tool in the box right now.

Reactions: strummingram
LOL...neither are yours. We're going to lock up everybody over...what?...50?...60?...70? And anybody who's obese...in THIS country? And anybody with diabeetus? And anybody with COPD or asthma or any other "underlying health condition" so everybody else can go back to BAU? That's not "sustainable". Nothing that restricts movement is.

Are you hallucinating?

Reactions: Rifler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT