ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State opened as 23 point favorite vs IOWA. As of Saturday Morning: tOSU -17.5; O/U 45.5

While the offense has certainly improved under Lester, it still suffers from previous recruiting and development mistakes, as is obvious from the lack of any semblance of a passing game. That doesn't get corrected without upgrades in personnel and a few years of coaching. So yeah, the Brian ball scars remain.
You’re not wrong.

Iowa’s offense is markedly better, and also not good.

Regardless of Iowa's history of games after a bye week, I think this bye came at the perfect time for the team; specifically the offense. We have a great 4 game resume so far in terms of variety, two games against bad teams, one of which we had to come out the second half and beat, one against an in-state rival that exposed weaknesses, and an away game against a conference rival where you had to play from behind for a time. There's a lot to reflect on, analyze, and work on. See what's worked, what hasn't, and capitalize on the surprises that we've seen so far.

Personally, I believe Lester has had the offense work on nothing but the passing game the past two weeks. When we talked after the Minnesota game, he mentioned that we've only been working on this offense for 8 weeks. So to have 2 more weeks to work before the next game is a huge deal for this developing offense. OSU is kind of whatever considering who they are, but it can definitely be helpful for the rest of the season.

Regardless of Iowa's history of games after a bye week, I think this bye came at the perfect time for the team; specifically the offense. We have a great 4 game resume so far in terms of variety, two games against bad teams, one of which we had to come out the second half and beat, one against an in-state rival that exposed weaknesses, and an away game against a conference rival where you had to play from behind for a time. There's a lot to reflect on, analyze, and work on. See what's worked, what hasn't, and capitalize on the surprises that we've seen so far.

Personally, I believe Lester has had the offense work on nothing but the passing game the past two weeks. When we talked after the Minnesota game, he mentioned that we've only been working on this offense for 8 weeks. So to have 2 more weeks to work before the next game is a huge deal for this developing offense. OSU is kind of whatever considering who they are, but it can definitely be helpful for the rest of the season.
I think you are saying it probably won't save the Hawks tomorrow, but it will pay dividends the rest of the way. I agree.

I simply hope the Hawkeye offense can compete against tOSU. Watching 3 and outs against PSU, Michigan and Tenn last year was embarrassing.

I think you are saying it probably won't save the Hawks tomorrow, but it will pay dividends the rest of the way. I agree.

I simply hope the Hawkeye offense can compete against tOSU. Watching 3 and outs against PSU, Michigan and Tenn last year was embarrassing.
It was bad. Ugly. Not worth watching... Was it really embarrassing? Why would anyone get embarrassed over a college football game that you weren't playing or coaching in?

It was bad. Ugly. Not worth watching... Was it really embarrassing? Why would anyone get embarrassed over a college football game that you weren't playing or coaching in?
No, I wasn't embarrassed. I'm sure it was embarrassing for the team.

I remember those Stanley Sneaks from 5 years ago. Needed a yard on 4th and short? He was good for SIX.

The dude was a statue, but had a rocket launcher for an arm. If he could throw those deep balls with just a teeny bit more accuracy, he could have been Iowa's best QB since Long.
Sure, BUT Stanley himself was bigger then most TE's and a weight room warrior who set all of Iowa's weight room QB records. Dude was a beast. And he played the last couple of years behind Lindy, (probably the best center thats EVER played at Iowa).

29.5 points, and that Iowa team was coming in 3-3 on the season posting back to back BIG losses against Michigan (game ball goes to), and that shit show that was the 6-9 loss at Illinois.
If he's asking about the 2017 game I think the spread was 17 at Kinnick....

There is basically zero chance as we have NO passing game.

When the 2017 miracle beatdown occurred we were a threat in both the pass & run offense.

I expect Cade and our O to look very juvenile. Cade is going to get injured and Sullivan will get in.
Its crazy though because the next week we had like 60 TOTAL yds against Wisconsin. We could run or pass.That team was so Jekl/Hyde.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
You really see Iowa holding OSU under 30 ? I know the defense played lights out against Michigan last year but Harbaugh likes to play Kirk ball, he can just do it better than Kirk

When Iowa plays teams that are more dynamic on offense we see the PSU/OSU/TN type beat downs.

I think only way Iowa has a chance is to hold OSU <14 points. Iowa getting 17 would mean KJ running for 200+

Iowa had 6 turnovers the last time we played tOSU.

I am hoping that our offense can sustain some drives and does not turn the ball over.

In the 2022 defeat in Columbus (54-10), Iowa's dismal numbers:

8 First downs

1-13 on 3rd down
1-4 on 4th down

158 total yards (81 passing, 77 rushing)

3 INTERCEPTIONS
3 FUMBLES LOST

29:14 time of possession

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT