ADVERTISEMENT

Oil and Gas Companies: The Biggest Welfare Queens there are

Gone are the days when subsidies are wrong just because the big bad oil companies make too much money we have moved on to they are wrong because of climate change and they make too much money. A big improvement.

I agree that subsidies should be cut and that taxes should go way up on these companies. However, this industry was probably responsible for the overwhelming majority of any economic growth this country has seen over the last decade. as of now the oil & gas industry has laid off over 100,000 workers and it is just getting started.
I hope that this will be a shortlived downturn but it could linger for a few years. Will be tough for employment, regardless of the new-found employment numbers that the current administration is reporting.

Gone are the days when subsidies are wrong just because the big bad oil companies make too much money we have moved on to they are wrong because of climate change and they make too much money. A big improvement.

So, you're in favor of subsidizing companies that have no need of subsidies whatsoever as well as the continued degradation of the planet. Got it.

So, you're in favor of subsidizing companies that have no need of subsidies whatsoever as well as the continued degradation of the planet. Got it.
Do you drive a car, turn on a light, have a refrigerator, run an AC unit in the summer? If so then you support the degradation of the planet.

We use things everyday that these companies produce and our lives would be a lot different if they were not here.

For you it is a simple thing oil companies = bad. For me it is not as simple as for do I think oil companies need subsidies - I bet the economic impact to the areas they are in is a net positive and subsides are not just a check written to big oil. They provide a lot of good middle class jobs that we supposedly all want. I have family and friends employed by big oil or job that are related so do I think they are just big bad companies - no I don't.

Try this link for a different view on subsides - http://www.forbes.com/sites/energys...il-subsidies-persist-even-liberals-love-them/

Is "degradation of the planet" the new buzz phrase for climate change that came from global warming. The point is the degradation of the planet is the same whether oil companies get subsidies or they don't. Taking away the subsides does not change anything - simple point of my post is if you want to disagree about subsidies on an economic level - fine go ahead. Throwing in degradation of the planet to end subsidies is a silly argument in my opinion. Of course that only makes it right for me and I don't need everybody to agree with me.

You can make it on the basis of the economic level alone. The pollution they cause is another thing. You can deny climate change, but you can't deny air quality in many of the world's cities is just horrible. It just makes the subsidies even worse.

I do agree that people should be personally responsible as well for their own carbon footprint. I don't support the degradation of the planet, I switched to a small high mileage car. I walk to work a lot of days. I don't have central air, I do have a window unit I use sparingly. I would like to get a solar system so I have to pull less from the grid, etc.

Its more troubling to me in the article that the politicians are flat out owned.

My sig pic is someone from the news. I will probably change it before long.

Last edited:
Reactions: cigaretteman
Sixers nailed it.

I do think farmers are the most entitled and biggest whiners of the welfare recipients though.

I agree cut social, agricultural and corporate welfare!
Well, If you are an Iowan, you have to be partially happy with Governor Branstad. He has cut the social welfare whenever and where ever possible....But Teflon is real big on agricultural and corporate welfare. He loves those campaign dollars!
For a person who has publicly campaigned that the role of government is not to choose winners and losers, it is pretty damned obvious from Teflon's record that when he is in charge, the losers are the poors (social welfare) and the winners are the rich/wealthy (corporations and corporate farms).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT