ADVERTISEMENT

Ok Nebraska . . . put your $$$ where your mouth is . . .

You're not going to put players through the rigors of 2 football seasons in one calendar year. Plain and simple. That's idiotic. Even if you had a 12 week schedule with 2 byes, you're looking at ending one "season" in June, then starting summer camps almost immediately afterwards. This idea is just pandering by the B10 leadership (aside from Nebraska, apparently) to shut people up.

Why is that idiotic? Granted some guys will lose part of the 2nd season still rehabbing injuries and players will lose offseason strength training.

But there is nothing over rigorous about playing a football season after “only” 2-3 months off for non-seriously injured players.

Yes, I played college football. Taking a month or so off was nice to get a mental break; but physically it wouldn’t be a big deal.

Why is that idiotic? Granted some guys will lose part of the 2nd season still rehabbing injuries and players will lose offseason strength training.

But there is nothing over rigorous about playing a football season after “only” 2-3 months off for non-seriously injured players.

Yes, I played college football. Taking a month or so off was nice to get a mental break; but physically it wouldn’t be a big deal.

Spring + Fall ball for 2021 isn't going to happen. B10 brass is saying "maybe" for spring right now to shut people up. Basketball won't be happening in the B10 either if we can't do anything until spring, right?

None of this makes any sense whatsoever Eppy. Who exactly are the presidents who wanted to cancel? We know Iowa, OSU, Nebraska, Michigan were all in. Penn State's Franklin came out saying they would fight. I can't imagine Mitch Daniels at Purdue would have voted to cancel. So who exactly voted for this? Rutgers, Maryland, Minnesota, who else?

This is incorrect,.. The vote was 12-2, with only Iowa and Nebraska voting to play....

Someone please enlighten me; what will be better in the spring regarding the covid situation compared to this fall in terms of playing football? Are they banking on a vaccine?

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
Spring + Fall ball for 2021 isn't going to happen. B10 brass is saying "maybe" for spring right now to shut people up. Basketball won't be happening in the B10 either if we can't do anything until spring, right?

1) Thanks for your opinion, but that’s all it is. Sorry if I don’t value it.

2) pac12 said no sports until 2021. B1G said no fall sports.

CU fans are effing idiots. Trust me you don't want anything to do with those libtards.

I don't really care about the fans so much as having an excuse to take a trip to Colorado under the guise of going to a college football game. I'd probably try to make it a week-long vacation. Party and see the game, go hiking or skiing in the mountains, and spend some time enjoying Denver's pubs, ganja, and maybe a Rockies or Broncos game (depending on time of year and schedules). Definitely a fun vacation.

I don't really care about the fans so much as having an excuse to take a trip to Colorado under the guise of going to a college football game. I'd probably try to make it a week-long vacation. Party and see the game, go hiking or skiing in the mountains, and spend some time enjoying Denver's pubs, ganja, and maybe a Rockies or Broncos game (depending on time of year and schedules). Definitely a fun vacation.

Sounds just like Lincoln . . . not.

Reactions: Eternal Return
Oh. You mean they'll just have to figure out how to field teams without any TV money or gate sales from football and men's basketball. Got it.
CrazyGaseousAnemone-max-1mb.gif

Your problem is you're focusing too much on exterior revenue funding college athletics as if that was always the case............

You think Nebraska football was born and raised on major network TV deals?

200.gif

Now that its official, how long do we have to wait for Bill Moos and Scott Frost's press conference announcing that the University of Nebraska will be playing fall football in another conference?
They can't compete in the Big Ten in football or basketball and they know it! They should see if they can join the MAC and GTFO!

It’ll be hilarious to come back to this post once players are started to be paid in the next couple years. Cable money will be gone before too long and teams like Iowa will be in huge trouble of being grouped with inferior programs like the rest of the B1G West In the next CFB re-org which is coming. I’m sure recruiting won’t suffer in Iowa City at all in the near future with zero games, a coach that’s career is in its twilight right after a massive national scandal...
Iowa could stop existing tomorrow and continue so for the next 50 years and still........

Iowa > all those teams > your team

I saw that the Big 12 revealed its proposed Fall football schedule if one actually occurs . . . I haven't yet seen Nebraska's schedule. Does anyone know if Bill Moos or Scott Frost has scheduled the press conference to announce their Fall football schedule?

I saw that the Big 12 revealed its proposed Fall football schedule if one actually occurs . . . I haven't yet seen Nebraska's schedule. Does anyone know if Bill Moos or Scott Frost has scheduled the press conference to announce their Fall football schedule?
Nebraska is stuck. A move to the B12 would put a hurt on their long term revenue income. Moos and Frost may want to play football this fall.... heck, even the president of UNL might want to make a move. But, alas, those pencil-neck accountants keep forwarding financial reports with red ink revenue loss numbers double underscored. Must feel like yearning to buy a house in another neighborhood but your lender continues to tell you that you can't afford the move.

Nebraska is stuck. A move to the B12 would put a hurt on their long term revenue income. Moos and Frost may want to play football this fall.... heck, even the president of UNL might want to make a move. But, alas, those pencil-neck accountants keep forwarding financial reports with red ink revenue loss numbers double underscored. Must feel like yearning to buy a house in another neighborhood but your lender continues to tell you that you can't afford the move.
I am curious if they are trying to get their lawyers feedback on if there is a way out of the B1G without having to pay the exit fee (understanding there is no 1x monetary exit fee, rather loss of media rights through 2027)

Someone please enlighten me; what will be better in the spring regarding the covid situation compared to this fall in terms of playing football? Are they banking on a vaccine?
The election will be over???

But seriously, I guess if other conferences play they will have a model of what to do and what not to do? I'm just grasping at straws here man.

I am curious if they are trying to get their lawyers feedback on if there is a way out of the B1G without having to pay the exit fee (understanding there is no 1x monetary exit fee, rather loss of media rights through 2027)

Lots of time and energy being expended on the concept of Nebraska leaving the B1G because of the conference's decision to cancel/postpone (use your preferred verb) the Fall football season.

Here's my take (it's a message board, right?):
1. It makes ZERO sense for Nebraska to jettison its membership in the B1G over this single decision. First and foremost, it appears that the other conferences have their schedules in place. There is practically no way that Nebraska can fill a football schedule with 8 P5 opponents. It is a pipe dream to think that Nebraska can play football if the rest of its conference affiliates are not playing football.
2. If Nebraska is unhappy with its current membership in the B1G, then it should explore all potential avenues to initiate the process for exiting. They'll have to take the good with the bad. It wanted to feed at the B1G money trough . . . it will have to pay the financial consequences for that decision, including providing meeting the necessary notice requirements and suffering the financial consequences (Exit fee or B1G will receive UN's media rights for a substantial period of time).
3. If Nebraska goes down this route, it will remain in the B1G for at least a couple more seasons. COVID will be in the rear view mirror, the B1G will still have the largest number of alumni than any other conference and the B1G's footprint will be the largest of any conference in the country. Revenue for B1G schools will continue to outpace the Big 12, ACC and Pac-12. Thus, Nebraska must be willing to take a "pay cut" to move out of the B1G and into another conference (presumably back to the Big 12). It would essentially be an admission that Nebraska's decision to join the B1G was a colossal mistake and they are willing to absorb years of
4. Enforceability of financial "penalties" have been the subject of litigation. Nebraska will be pissing up a rope if it feels as though it can use the football decision to claim that the B1G materially breached the contract. The football decision impacts all B1G universities. It didn't single out Nebraska. They aren't being treated any differently than any other B1G member.
5. If Nebraska claims that it is suffering "crippling" financial injury due to the B1G's decision, it may not be the wisest decision in the world to - after a mere 9-10 years - start the process to re-join the Big 12 or join another conference. The B1G's strong claims to Nebraska's media rights for a number of years would simply add to the "crippling" financial injury. Unless Nebraska can somehow convince another conference to "cover" Nebraska's financial responsibilities to the B1G (can you really see the Big 12 saying "yeah . . I know that you spurned us a decade ago, but we are ready to cover the financial ramifications for your decision simply to allow you back in the fold"), I'm having a hard time believing that Nebraska really wants to take on years and years of further financial hardship.

Unequivocal statement out of Lincoln.

"Unparalleled academic and athletic alliance." That ought to dispel the wild-eyed speculation offered by posters here that Nebraska was going to stick it to the B1G.

Lots of time and energy being expended on the concept of Nebraska leaving the B1G because of the conference's decision to cancel/postpone (use your preferred verb) the Fall football season.

Here's my take (it's a message board, right?):
1. It makes ZERO sense for Nebraska to jettison its membership in the B1G over this single decision. First and foremost, it appears that the other conferences have their schedules in place. There is practically no way that Nebraska can fill a football schedule with 8 P5 opponents. It is a pipe dream to think that Nebraska can play football if the rest of its conference affiliates are not playing football.
2. If Nebraska is unhappy with its current membership in the B1G, then it should explore all potential avenues to initiate the process for exiting. They'll have to take the good with the bad. It wanted to feed at the B1G money trough . . . it will have to pay the financial consequences for that decision, including providing meeting the necessary notice requirements and suffering the financial consequences (Exit fee or B1G will receive UN's media rights for a substantial period of time).
3. If Nebraska goes down this route, it will remain in the B1G for at least a couple more seasons. COVID will be in the rear view mirror, the B1G will still have the largest number of alumni than any other conference and the B1G's footprint will be the largest of any conference in the country. Revenue for B1G schools will continue to outpace the Big 12, ACC and Pac-12. Thus, Nebraska must be willing to take a "pay cut" to move out of the B1G and into another conference (presumably back to the Big 12). It would essentially be an admission that Nebraska's decision to join the B1G was a colossal mistake and they are willing to absorb years of
4. Enforceability of financial "penalties" have been the subject of litigation. Nebraska will be pissing up a rope if it feels as though it can use the football decision to claim that the B1G materially breached the contract. The football decision impacts all B1G universities. It didn't single out Nebraska. They aren't being treated any differently than any other B1G member.
5. If Nebraska claims that it is suffering "crippling" financial injury due to the B1G's decision, it may not be the wisest decision in the world to - after a mere 9-10 years - start the process to re-join the Big 12 or join another conference. The B1G's strong claims to Nebraska's media rights for a number of years would simply add to the "crippling" financial injury. Unless Nebraska can somehow convince another conference to "cover" Nebraska's financial responsibilities to the B1G (can you really see the Big 12 saying "yeah . . I know that you spurned us a decade ago, but we are ready to cover the financial ramifications for your decision simply to allow you back in the fold"), I'm having a hard time believing that Nebraska really wants to take on years and years of further financial hardship.

I haven't seen the B10 agreement but there are certainly multiple provisions which could apply to this situation - all of them written in a way, no doubt, that aims to prioritize the integrity of the member institutions collectively. In other words, matters dealing with competition, revenues, finances, academic standards, etc. mandate conformity. To that end, I would guess that separation and penalty clauses are not only exhaustively comprehensive but unambiguous as well.

If Nebraska has a strong desire to exit, their lawyers are revisiting sections of the contract they believe they can exploit in light of this unusual situation. Its a long shot IMO. The contract hasn't changed since the emergence of the virus, presumably, so each school knew their respective legal rights when they were meeting this month to discuss playing. If Nebraska believes they have a decent legal case they would made a move by now. The window of opportunity to play this Fall is closing quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT