ADVERTISEMENT

OK, so last spring I put up two small bee hives. Now I may be murdered over it.

soybean

HB King
Sep 30, 2001
A guy that lives about 4-5 miles away from me as the crow flies drove over yesterday afternoon to accuse me of "stealing his bees" which apparently carries the death penalty if I'm not careful. I admit that I put these two houses/small hives up in the alfalfa field without owning any bees. Somehow over the summer both hives attracted some bees and are now filled with honey combs. This guy accused me af "attracting his bees" into my hives in some manner he could not articulate, but he was convinced of. Oh, and he also ended his spittle filled rant of invective and profanities by pointing his finger at me and calling me a "Democrat". I'm probably a dead man walking.

But the Hawks are still 6-0 and I have this guys bees, so I'm good.

Bees split their hives naturally when they grow. So, unless his completely vacated his own hives, I don't see the problem.
And, even if they did leave his hives...I don't think it's your fault.
I put out (leave out) an empty hive too, hoping a wild swarm will move into it.

A guy that lives about 4-5 miles away from me as the crow flies drove over yesterday afternoon to accuse me of "stealing his bees" which apparently carries the death penalty if I'm not careful. I admit that I put these two houses/small hives up in the alfalfa field without owning any bees. Somehow over the summer both hives attracted some bees and are now filled with honey combs. This guy accused me af "attracting his bees" into my hives in some manner he could not articulate, but he was convinced of. Oh, and he also ended his spittle filled rant of invective and profanities by pointing his finger at me and calling me a "Democrat". I'm probably a dead man walking.

He's accusing you of bee rustling. Do they carry his brand?

Did it work?

o_Flirty-Bumble-Bee-Costume-N4461_34_57_765.jpg

RIP in Peace.

I've always thought it would be cool to have bees. Can you put in your will that I get yours? I don't want any of the other shit you've accumulated through the years, just the bees you stole.

Send some Murder Hornets his way.

Oh, and he also ended his spittle filled rant of invective and profanities by pointing his finger at me and calling me a "Democrat". I'm probably a dead man walking.
Dude has deranged lone gunman written all over him, OP. I'd wear a flak jacket and military grade helmet under your bee suit.

Reactions: TheCainer
The guy sounds lonely to me. I would just go over and put a couple of Japanese Beatle traps out on his property and walk away.

You'll be the least of his worries at that point.

Naw crazy old coot. Iowa farmers seem to lots of them.
And I did not even think that I would ever see any bees in these Mrs. Bean decorated hives. But at some unknown point in time they arrived. I think it was my alfalfa that did it.

While not a 'brand', did you know people actually do 'mark' their queens?
Not so much to reclaim them if Soybean steals them, but rather to more quickly identify the queen when working with them.

How-to-Mark-Queen-Honey-Bee.jpg

Reactions: pink shizzle
While not a 'brand', did you know people actually do 'mark' their queens?
Not so much to reclaim them if Soybean steals them, but rather to more quickly identify the queen when working with them.

How-to-Mark-Queen-Honey-Bee.jpg
My neighbor behind me has to be hives apparently every so often they tear apart the hive for what reason I don't know. so the queen gets out and flies up into a pine tree in my backyard and all the bees from The Hive started swirling around her making a huge bee ball up in my tree and this guy is about 15 ft up in the air sawing a branch off of my tree to try and get his bees back into their hive. csb

‘Bean....
You’re probably the most misunderstood man in central Iowa! ;) Democrat or not. Good story.
My dad, a pharmacist, once had a customer get mad at him because the doctor changed this guys BP medicine and dad wouldn’t give him credit on return of his old BP medicine.

How in the world did he single you out? Has Mrs. Bean been bragging about your new bees?
If you are in the exact right spot on a Poweshiek County gravel road you can spot my hand painted very decorative hives from a mile away...my guess is he spent many, hours dnriving around looki/ng for his escapees and spotted my hives and marched overland through the hay fields to see if I had bees. I did, so, of course, they must be his.

I put those hives up last spring and did not notice bees were in them until he mentioned it to me

Bees split their hives naturally when they grow. So, unless his completely vacated his own hives, I don't see the problem.
And, even if they did leave his hives...I don't think it's your fault.
Bees will swarm when they get too big of numbers and the Queen will leave and take about half with her. The remaining will raise a new Queen. If they aren’t fed or have a source of nectar/pollen they will leave for a better place rather than starve.

Reactions: Pinehawk
If you are in the exact right spot on a Poweshiek County gravel road you can spot my hand painted very decorative hives from a mile away...my guess is he spent many, hours dnriving around looki/ng for his escapees and spotted my hives and marched overland through the hay fields to see if I had bees. I did, so, of course, they must be his.

I put those hives up last spring and did not notice bees were in them until he mentioned it to me
If you lived in a big city he wouldn't be able to see your hives from 50 feet away. Problem solved.

You should kill him first...

Sprinkle a little Sevin insecticide dust in his pickup bed the next time he comes over to bitch. That'll fix his wagon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT