ADVERTISEMENT

Okay, HBOT... here's your chance to tell me everything I'm doing is wrong. Criticize my vacation agenda...

I never have and never will plan out a vacation to that extent. We go and figure it out when we get there. Are people really like this with vacations?
A lot of things require reservations these days. We were in Europe not long ago and many of the main things to see required reservations months in advance.

If you are someone who just goes to sit at the pool or beach and drink, then go to eat, then no, you don’t need to plan ahead.

Reactions: The Tradition
Yeah, I’m with @Derekd3408 in how I do most vacations, but you’d miss a lot of cool stuff in Hawaii if you didn’t make some plans / do some research ahead of time. Too many tourists.
True but like to get the local input of people and hand outs at the destination once we get there. Will be in T&C during that same time and don’t have anything planned. We like to go on vacation and figure it out as we go or what we feel like doing.

True but like to get the local input of people and hand outs at the destination once we get there. Will be in T&C during that same time and don’t have anything planned. We like to go on vacation and figure it out as we go or what we feel like doing.

Yep, like I said…that’s how I’d do most vacations. If I went all way to Oahu and missed out on the Arizona because I winged it and didn’t realize I had to buy tickets ahead of time though, I’d be pissed.

A lot of things require reservations these days. We were in Europe not long ago and many of the main things to see required reservations months in advance.
This is true and my SIL makes the reservations, so I can’t speak to it, but Hawaii is somewhat different because logistically, there can only be so many people on each island at the same time. For example, the coffee farm tour was awesome and I think we booked it while there. I think if you want a helicopter tour out of Kona (and I can’t stress going out of Kona enough) there was a booking in advance requirement. But he might be able to find one still.

Yep, like I said…that’s how I’d do most vacations. If I went all way to Oahu and missed out on the Arizona because I winged it and didn’t realize I had to buy tickets ahead of time though, I’d be pissed.
Same can be said for those going to Italy. You have to book the coolest things WAY in advance.

This is true and my SIL makes the reservations, so I can’t speak to it, but Hawaii is somewhat different because logistically, there can only be so many people on each island at the same time. For example, the coffee farm tour was awesome and I think we booked it while there. I think if you want a helicopter tour our Kona (and I can’t stress going out of Kona enough) there was a booking in advance requirement. But he might be able to find one still.
Yes, depends on the location, for sure. Also, if it’s a couple vs a family or with small kids. Lots of variables.

I didn’t think Trad’s itinerary was complicated or overfilled at all.

Reactions: Tenacious E
This is true and my SIL makes the reservations, so I can’t speak to it, but Hawaii is somewhat different because logistically, there can only be so many people on each island at the same time. For example, the coffee farm tour was awesome and I think we booked it while there. I think if you want a helicopter tour out of Kona (and I can’t stress going out of Kona enough) there was a booking in advance requirement. But he might be able to find one still.

This is true. I read somewhere that the Arizona Memorial isn't a tough ticket EXCEPT on days when two cruise ships are docked at the same time. These double-ship days result in massive crowds at Pearl Harbor.

Yes, depends on the location, for sure. Also, if it’s a couple vs a family or with small kids. Lots of variables.

I didn’t think Trad’s itinerary was complicated or overfilled at all.
Agreed. In fact, I think he might get bored on the big island and wished he booked more activities. I know I’m being tough on Hilo but it doesn’t deserve a whole day. It literally rains all of the time and is basically a town like you’d see many places. Not a high value target.

Reactions: BelemNole
This is true. I read somewhere that the Arizona Memorial isn't a tough ticket EXCEPT on days when two cruise ships are docked at the same time. These double-ship days result in massive crowds at Pearl Harbor.
I should also add that my advice pertains to the big island only. We didn’t do any other island. Another trip some day, when I’m retired and don’t need to worry about being gone for so long.

We did the long boat ride one and it was pretty awesome, actually, tearing through the water in a boat like the navy seals would use. Or, at least what I imagine they would use.
We were supposed to go to the site north of the airport but the weather/sea was too rough so we diverted to the hotel site. Boat was like the SS Minow and was listing to port. Was a long ride back.

Agreed. In fact, I think he might get bored on the big island and wished he booked more activities. I know I’m being tough on Hilo but it doesn’t deserve a whole day. It literally rains all of the time and is basically a town like you’d see many places. Not a high value target.

We're going to be at the VNP all day on the Hilo day.

Hilo is the launching and ending point for that (and also the 50 minute drive to Mauna Kea for the sunset) because Hilo is much closer than Kona to those sites.

Hilo is the launching and ending point for that (and also 50 minute drive to Mauna Kea for the sunset) because Hilo is much closer than Kona to those sites.
Bring VERY warms clothes for Mauna Kea. It will be below 40 up there at night.

Reactions: The Tradition

Hilo is the launching and ending point for that (and also the 50 minute drive to Mauna Kea for the sunset) because Hilo is much closer than Kona to those sites.
True, it is closer but the drive across the island is only an hour and a half, if I recall correctly.

Reactions: BelemNole
True, it is closer but the drive across the island is only an hour and a half, if I recall correctly.

It's more like two hours and you have to pass by Hilo on the way. That's a long time when you had to drive two hours to get there in the first place and then drive around all day exploring.

Conversely, the drive to VPN from Hilo is only 40 minutes. So, eliminating an hour and twenty minutes of windshield time BOTH WAYS seems smart, to me.

It's more like two hours and you have to pass by Hilo on the way. That's a long time when you had to drive two hours to get there in the first place and then drive around all day exploring.

Conversely, the drive to VPN from Hilo is only 40 minutes. So, eliminating an hour and twenty minutes of windshield time BOTH WAYS seems smart, to me.
Where and when is flight off the big island?

• Saturday, August 31st - Fly to Las Vegas - Stay at Waldorf Astoria - Dinner and sleep

• Sunday, September 1st - One Day in Vegas

• Monday, September 2nd - Fly to Kona - Stay at Marriott Beach Resort in Waikoloa - Dinner and sleep

• Tuesday, September 3rd - explore resort/beach - maybe go shopping at the Queen's Marketplace - Sunset catamaran booze cruise

• Wednesday, September 4th - nothing planned during the day, but Manta Ray snorkel that night

• Thursday, September 5th - check out, rent a car, visit Kona and surrounding areas before heading north to various lookouts and waterfalls on the way to Hilo. If early, explore Hilo a bit before checking in at the Doubletree and an early dinner, then a quick drive to the Maunakea visitor center to see the sunset from the side of the tallest mountain in the world (measured from the base)!

• Friday, September 6th - VOLCANOES - Explore the National Park and points south of Hilo.

• Saturday, September 7th - Fly to Honolulu, check in at Hilton Hawaiian Village.

• Sunday, September 8th - nothing planned. Explore resort/Waikaki Beach and do whatever.

• Monday, September 9th - Pearl Harbor

• Tuesday, September 10th - Diamond Head hike

• Wednesday, September 11th - Rent a car, go to Waimea for the gardens/waterfall and attend the 12:30 Tao Luau. After the luau, continue to the North Shore, and then work our way back to Waikiki on the east side of Oahu stopping to see various lookouts and places of interest.

• Thursday, September 12th - Fly to Phoenix - Stay at Hilton Phoenix Airport

• Friday, September 13th - One day in Phoenix

• Saturday, September 14th - Fly home

Tell me where I screwed up. I can take it.
The oahu portion sounds pretty close to what we did. I would go back in a heart beat. Enjoy! And Mrs Trad is doing well?

You don’t have to pass Hilo. You could take the southern route and see the black sand beach on the way.

Yes, agree on the issues with limited space and tickets at locales like PH. When we go to island destinations, it’s do what we feel like doing that day with no plans other than make a reservation to do something when they have an opening we can slide into so to speak. I want no timelines and stress when on vacation.

We went up to the observatory/telescope area of Mauna Kea, unbelievable how high up that is. Actually gives you a bit of hypoxia and just a weird feeling but so worth the drive up.

Anyone know if they are docking at the Arizona yet? We went several years ago and they had docking issues they were working to repair underwater and it seemed like it was going to take years to fix. So, we took a boat out to the site and just parked for a few minutes as the guide spoke about things and then they took us back. Sorta a let down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT