ADVERTISEMENT

Omaha woman tells police she was scammed out of $15,000 by man claiming to be Johnny Depp

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
aptain Jack Sparrow has struck again!

A 68-year-old Omaha woman told police she was scammed out of $15,000 by a man who claimed he was Johnny Depp.

The scam happened last month, according to a police report. The woman told police “Depp” first contacted her through the Meta app Messenger and then from various phone numbers. The man told the woman he wanted to marry but needed $10,000 from her to afford a wedding planner because, according to the report, “he had his money tied up in different things.”
At the man’s request, the woman sent him the money through her credit card. Although it appeared the man had repaid the money, the woman ended her involvement as she sensed the scam. The woman later discovered the man canceled the $10,000 repayment and took another $5,000 from her.

The woman retained the phone numbers the man called from. She also contacted her credit card company. The woman gave police an email address that investigators can use to retrieve phone logs and other information.

• Haha
Reactions: longliveCS40
This happens every day.

Old people getting calls saying their grandson is in jail and they need to wire $5000 now and falling for it.

Wait until they have fake AI Voices.

This happens every day.

Old people getting calls saying their grandson is in jail and they need to wire $5000 now and falling for it.

I know people who this very scam was attempted but failed. But Johnny effing Depp? To get married? Poor old lady better have a care giver…

Reactions: cigaretteman
hacker-not.gif

Reactions: cigaretteman
This happens every day.

Go to a money center ar Walmart...there are signs everywhere about scams. It's to the point the cashiers have to be intrusive about asking why are you sending this money...how do you know them...etc. many customers get mad about the questions..but they are able to stop people from being scammed on a daily basis. Hell they even have power to just not do the transaction if they think something is off, even if the customer insists.

Go to a money center ar Walmart...there are signs everywhere about scams. It's to the point the cashiers have to be intrusive about asking why are you sending this money...how do you know them...etc. many customers get mad about the questions..but they are able to stop people from being scammed on a daily basis. Hell they even have power to just not do the transaction if they think something is off, even if the customer insists.

I had to send a pretty large wire transfer a year ago.

The bank was asking me a ton of questions.

And yes, I was getting annoyed.

To me it was none of their business.

I know of a couple instances where the small town bank, who knew the old person, stepped in and stopped scams.

This happens every day.

My late mom got a call saying her granddaughter (my daughter) was in jail in NYC and needed $8k for bail money. Luckily my mom was extremely hard of hearing and couldn't make it all out and called me before doing anything.

I had just talked to my daughter the night before and she was in Baltimore planning to work the next day.

These fvckers are the scum of the earth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT