ADVERTISEMENT

One noticeable thing about Cade McNamara….

herkyhawk00

HB Legend
Jan 28, 2008
For what seems like an eternity, we had a qb that played with what seemed like a lack of fear of making a mistake or turning it over. Several times he threw the ball giving our wr’s the opportunity to try to make a play. So many times over the last several years I have felt like our qbs would avoid throwing those balls because the wr’s were “covered”. There were a couple balls where I felt he tried to thread a needle and thought it was a pretty risky throw, but there were ones thrown down the field that I thought the risk/reward was definitely worth it. It was just nice to see.

For what seems like an eternity, we had a qb that played with what seemed like a lack of fear of making a mistake or turning it over. Several times he threw the ball giving our wr’s the opportunity to try to make a play. So many times over the last several years I have felt like our qbs would avoid throwing those balls because the wr’s were “covered”. There were a couple balls where I felt he tried to thread a needle and thought it was a pretty risky throw, but there were ones thrown down the field that I thought the risk/reward was definitely worth it. It was just nice to see.
I’d like to agree but to me it looked like his timing was off and throwing off his back foot didn’t help. I think he’s shaking off the rust but if he can clean up a couple things his play was encouraging

The throw to Reese was a pick play by Reese and clearly intended for the receiver in the corner but the pass was 8 yards short due to him falling g away on the throw.

Reese released after his pick and happened to be there and none of the 3 defenders got their head around. Against a Big 10 secondary that’s probably an interception 50% of the time.

he threw off the back of his foot multiple times against Ill st. not good

Reactions: Buffalo43
With knee injuries, guys tend to be afraid to make cuts etc, because mentally, they are protective of that knee. That usually takes just as much effort to overcome as the PT they do while healing. Hopefully he keeps working through this and starts trusting his legs and step into throws.

With knee injuries, guys tend to be afraid to make cuts etc, because mentally, they are protective of that knee. That usually takes just as much effort to overcome as the PT they do while healing. Hopefully he keeps working through this and starts trusting his legs and step into throws.
Yup.

The throw to Reese was a pick play by Reese and clearly intended for the receiver in the corner but the pass was 8 yards short due to him falling g away on the throw.

Reese released after his pick and happened to be there and none of the 3 defenders got their head around. Against a Big 10 secondary that’s probably an interception 50% of the time.
Cade fell away because he would have got creamed, pasted, smashed by one or two rushers if he stepped into that throw , watch the replay

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Kirk will shut that down next week

I couldn’t of said this better myself awesome post

I’d like to agree but to me it looked like his timing was off and throwing off his back foot didn’t help. I think he’s shaking off the rust but if he can clean up a couple things his play was encouraging
This. I think he was worried in the 1st half about his knees and started to get confidence in the 2nd. Hope it carries over to the ISU game. Feed Kaleb Johnson the rock!

• Haha
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
It was nice to see someone at the QB position who didn’t look like they were stuck in quick sand. He had a nice scramble that got called back and avoided some pressure to extend a play. That’s a start.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
It was nice to see someone at the QB position who didn’t look like they were stuck in quick sand. He had a nice scramble that got called back and avoided some pressure to extend a play. That’s a start.
I'm just thankful we have a competent replacement if needed, and hopeful Cade can get back to his Michigan performance.

It’s crazy how it feels like Iowa has something to build on offensively. Last few years after week 1 you know it wasn’t going to get better at all.

Reactions: jonesy5960
First half sucked offensively, Cade was obviously rusty. Second half explosion was surprising and awesome. Lots to improve on, so the coaches will definitely have the full attention of the players to clean things up. I’m always nervous of MooU, but I’m feeling pretty confident about Saturday.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Yeah, he was on his back foot in the missed ( under thrown) TD pass to lachey in then first half. Can’t make those mistakes against better competition
True, but in the second half he did a much better job of stepping into his throws. On Reese’ 2nd TD catch Cade had two guys in his face and had to lean backwards. After the game Vander Zee said he missed the audible and ran the wrong pattern. That is why he and Lachey were within a yard of each other with two DB’s right there. The pass was meant for Lachey but Reese did a damm good job of going for the ball. I think Reese is going to be an excellent receiver !

Reactions: Wadzinator
doesn't mean he should have thrown it up for grabs. Like DanHawkPella said, Big10 corners pick that off 50% of the time.
On that throw in general? Yes.

When he’s throwing it where the 6’4” receiver is there, it’s not getting picked off. B1G, SEC, NFL. None of them have DBs going up over him. There might be a few that can contest, but it’s probably not getting picked.

It was lucky, but we got a guy for the first time since at least Brandon Smith. If you have that guy, throw the sumbitch up.

On that throw in general? Yes.

When he’s throwing it where the 6’4” receiver is there, it’s not getting picked off. B1G, SEC, NFL. None of them have DBs going up over him. There might be a few that can contest, but it’s probably not getting picked.

It was lucky, but we got a guy for the first time since at least Brandon Smith. If you have that guy, throw the sumbitch up.
Agreed. Not smart just throwing it up but every week you see teams throwing a few jump balls per game where WRs make plays for them or earn a pass interference call. Was weird seeing Iowa come down with a play like that.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Rewatched some of the 2nd half and one other thing that makes me happy is how excited the whole team was on the sidelines and coaches. Hopefully they keep building and turn that offense into something to be proud of.

Reactions: kceasthawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT