cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Opinion by
Ruth Marcus
Deputy editorial page editor
Jan. 18, 2021 at 7:00 a.m. CST

Add to list
President Trump will be gone soon, if not soon enough. His worst legacy is the ugly, racially tinged divisiveness that he stoked for four years, and that resulted in the sacking of the Capitol as Congress prepared to count the electoral college votes.

But a close second involves the building just across the street: a Supreme Court transformed by strong-arm tactics — distorted, really — into a conservative juggernaut. Even as the House debated how to protect the country against Trump, that dramatic change was on display in an abortion case that augured darker days to come.
The particular problem at issue here — whether an abortion-inducing drug, mifepristone, should be available during the pandemic without having to travel to a hospital, clinic or medical office — can be easily solved by the new administration. The problem of a Supreme Court willing to bend doctrine and precedent to fit its preferred outcome will persist for decades.
AD

Since the start of the pandemic, the Food and Drug Administration has relaxed in-person requirements for administering drugs and encouraged the use of telemedicine so that, as Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said in March, people can “access healthcare they need from their home, without worrying about putting themselves or others at risk.”
Except for abortion.
The practice of abortion has been transformed in the past few decades with the availability of a two-drug protocol available in the first 10 weeks of pregnancy — mifepristone, followed within 48 hours by misoprostol. Now, a majority of American women who choose to end their pregnancies in the first 10 weeks choose medication rather than surgery.

Under a protocol approved by the FDA before the pandemic, patients seeking medication abortions can receive remote counseling from doctors and take the medicine at home; however, they must go in person to a hospital, clinic or medical office to pick up the mifepristone and sign a release form.
AD

When the pandemic hit, the FDA removed similar barriers for other drugs, including powerful opioids. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) sued to block the government from enforcing the in-person rules for mifepristone during the pandemic. A district court judge found the requirement was a “substantial obstacle” — the relevant constitutional test — to women seeking abortions and ordered the rule lifted while the pandemic raged. A federal appeals court declined to intervene.
Then came the Supreme Court. It’s important to understand that this wasn’t a case that asked the justices to decide whether the FDA rule was right or wrong. At this stage of the litigation, the question was simply whether to dissolve the lower court judge’s order and reinstate the in-person requirement while the two sides fight it out in court.

And there are clear, stringent standards for when courts, including the Supreme Court, should intervene, in the middle of a case, to undo such orders. That’s supposed to happen only in “extraordinary” circumstances. The side arguing to lift the order bears the “heavy burden” of showing not only that the lower court decision was wrong but that it will suffer “irreparable injury” if the order remains in place while the case proceeds.
AD

Consider the competing claims — the “equities,” in legal terms — here, the real-world consequences of forcing pregnant women to pick up mifepristone in person. More than half of those who have abortions are people of color, at far higher risk for dying of covid-19. Three-fourths are low-income, meaning they are more likely to have to take public transportation to get to clinics to pick up their medicine, and live in crowded conditions where the virus, if they contract it, is more easily spread.
Meantime, the pandemic has led clinics to dramatically reduce their hours or even stop providing medication abortion services altogether. The harder it becomes for a woman to make the necessary trip, the more likely it is that she will not be able to obtain the medication before the 10-week window is up.

And what is the Trump administration’s argument to the contrary? No biggie, argued acting solicitor general Jeffrey B. Wall, because women can just obtain surgical abortions later in pregnancy. “A regulation that merely makes it more difficult to obtain an early abortion does not create a substantial obstacle to that ultimate decision so long as standard medical options are available for later abortions,” Wall told the court.
AD

Merely makes it more difficult? How clueless can you get? Justice Sonia Sotomayor nailed it: “What a callous response.”
As you may have guessed, Sotomayor was on the losing side. The court voted to lift the stay, with the three remaining liberals dissenting. Among those in the majority, only Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. bothered to explain his reasoning: It isn’t up to courts to second-guess “the politically accountable entities with the background, competence, and expertise to assess public health.”

To that Sotomayor, joined by Justice Elena Kagan, had a tart rejoinder. “I agree that deference is due to reasoned decisions of public health officials grappling with a deadly pandemic. But the record here is bereft of any reasoning.”
Who needs reasoning when you have six votes?

Reactions: mstp1992
I honestly think Mitch gets 100% of the credit here. Mitch made it possible. Trump has no insight in the legal world, he just had the seat that mattered. I think it would be fantastic if the public made sure to publicly recognize the transformation of the courts as Mitch's toxic shameful legacy and not Donald's. And people should remind Trump of that fact in the future when he wants credit for it. Jmo.

I honestly think Mitch gets 100% of the credit here. Mitch made it possible. Trump has no insight in the legal world, he just had the seat that mattered. I think it would be fantastic if the public made sure to publicly recognize the transformation of the courts as Mitch's toxic shameful legacy and not Donald's. And people should remind Trump of that fact in the future when he wants credit for it. Jmo.
Mitch, Chuck, and the Federalists reshaped the courts.

Biden needs to reach out to Stephen Breyer in April or May and ask him if he'd like to spend more time with his grandkids. That doesn't change the balance, but it would be good to replace an octogenarian with some young blood to fight off ACB and Kavs.

I won't be surprised at all if Biden behind the scenes encourages any older liberal judge to step down before the end of his term. The age discrepancy of SC judges is getting to the point where the next POTUS could conceivably not have any SC nominees because the majority are relatively young.

It used to be you could typically count on one nominee per term or so; rare that a POTUS would get none.

I'm not so sure Mitch was out of bounds with his handing of Merrick Garland or our last nomination. Turns out there was quite a bit of historic precedence for both handlings.

Reactions: Banditking
Biden will get to fill Breyer's seat. Thats it. Roberts is 64, Alito is 70, and Thomas is 71.

Cons have won just 1 popular vote since 1992, yet gotten to fill 6 seats. Dems won 7 popular votes yet only get 3 seats.

This system is fvcked.

From what I read, history was on McConnell's side in both scenarios. Most nominees made in an election year with split senate and white house ended up being held open until the election was over. I think that happened 8 of 10 times. Garland made it 9 of 11.

And the latest nomination was pretty easily evidenced as consistent with history.

From what I could tell, all Democrats had were some poorly argued points by McConnell that would render him a hypocrite for the second nominee.

But on actual arguments of historic precedence... I never got much from them.

Reactions: Banditking
From what I read, history was on McConnell's side in both scenarios. Most nominees made in an election year with split senate and white house ended up being held open until the election was over. I think that happened 8 of 10 times. Garland made it 9 of 11.

And the latest nomination was pretty easily evidenced as consistent with history.

From what I could tell, all Democrats had were some poorly argued points by McConnell that would render him a hypocrite for the second nominee.

But on actual arguments of historic precedence... I never got much from them.

I asked four years ago, I asked four months ago and I’ll ask again. Find another example where an SC nominee was refused even the courtesy of a confirmation hearing. There have been plenty of times when the opposition party controlled the Senate but still voted on the SC nominee, one way or another. Four years ago, Mitch said the people should have a say since it was an election year. Yet that didn’t matter in 2020, less than two months before the election.

the hypocrisy involved will be made further clear when Garland is easily confirmed as AG.

Um, you’re not so sure?

Point out all of the historic precedence you speak of.
Sounds sort of like the old "it's ok to be an asshole if there have been assholes in the past" defense.
I asked four years ago, I asked four months ago and I’ll ask again. Find another example where an SC nominee was refused even the courtesy of a confirmation hearing. There have been plenty of times when the opposition party controlled the Senate but still voted on the SC nominee, one way or another. Four years ago, Mitch said the people should have a say since it was an election year. Yet that didn’t matter in 2020, less than two months before the election.

the hypocrisy involved will be made further clear when Garland is easily confirmed as AG.

Sounds sort of like the old "it's ok to be an asshole if there have been assholes in the past" defense.

I think it's an interesting question of 'what the hell should precedence be'?

How granular do you get?

Say... out of 100 nominations, 85 are confirmed. That could be used as precedence.
But out of the 15 not confirmed, 8 were in split senate / white house regimes in election years. Is this more applicable than overall precedence?

And then you could say... well, what about the fact that while 8 were not confirmed, 2 were in that configuration... does our current case better match the variables at play in the 8 or the 2? Is this better precedence yet?

How do we think about precedence?

And then... like you argued, what about precedence that perhaps is justified... but ought not to be. (because you can point to some would-be rule or conflicting norm)

If that's the case, how many other precedences 'ought not to be' and when do we break from them?

I just haven't seen a winning argument from Democrats here.

Originally I thought McConnell was just pulling this precedence out of his ass. Turns out that wasn't the case. So you have something more substantial on your hands.

I think it's an interesting question of 'what the hell should precedence be'?

How granular do you get?

Say... out of 100 nominations, 85 are confirmed. That could be used as precedence.
But out of the 15 not confirmed, 8 were in split senate / white house regimes in election years. Is this more applicable than overall precedence?

And then you could say... well, what about the fact that while 8 were not confirmed, 2 were in that configuration... does our current case better match the variables at play in the 8 or the 2? Is this better precedence yet?

How do we think about precedence?

And then... like you argued, what about precedence that perhaps is justified... but ought not to be. (because you can point to some would-be rule or conflicting norm)

If that's the case, how many other precedences 'ought not to be' and when do we break from them?

I just haven't seen a winning argument from Democrats here.

Originally I thought McConnell was just pulling this precedence out of his ass. Turns out that wasn't the case. So you have something more substantial on your hands.
The President nominates, the Senate considers and approves or rejects.

No other "precedent" is relevant. All the rest is shell games and counting angels on the heads of pins.

The Senate should have considered Garland.

The Senate was entitled to consider Barrett.

As a liberal, I'm not going to like either of those outcomes. But that's how they should have been handled.

So explain why it was okay to fill RBGs seat in 2020 with 2 months to go, but not even give Garland a hearing in 2016 With 10 months to go?

Had they at least held hearings before voting Garland down then, I’d have no issue with confirming Barrett. But that’s not what happened, is it?

A person never talked about is Trump's sister, a retired Federal judge. I often wondered if her advice and opinion wasn't sought more than once.

The President nominates, the Senate considers and approves or rejects.

No other "precedent" is relevant. All the rest is shell games and counting angels on the heads of pins.

The Senate should have considered Garland.

The Senate was entitled to consider Barrett.

As a liberal, I'm not going to like either of those outcomes. But that's how they should have been handled.

I am the opposite from you politically, but 100% agree with you here. I don’t have a problem at all with the Barrett nomination but think the way Garland was treated was abysmal and never should have happened. The president has the right and obligation to nominate, the Senate should respect that right and debate the merits of the nominee. I will also say that regardless of judicial philosophy, if they are qualified and have used sound judgment, they should be approved. Those are the benefits of winning elections and should be respected. Thank you WWJD.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I am the opposite from you politically, but 100% agree with you here. I don’t have a problem at all with the Barrett nomination but think the way Garland was treated was abysmal and never should have happened. The president has the right and obligation to nominate, the Senate should respect that right and debate the merits of the nominee. I will also say that regardless of judicial philosophy, if they are qualified and have used sound judgment, they should be approved. Those are the benefits of winning elections and should be respected. Thank you WWJD.

Then you disrespect the right if the Senate to handle things within their domain. That is their right and while I don't like how garland was handled it is well within the senate's power to decide what they decided.

Then you disrespect the right if the Senate to handle things within their domain. That is their right and while I don't like how garland was handled it is well within the senate's power to decide what they decided.

Yes I do. Just like I disrespect your right to spit on a sidewalk. I didn’t say they didn’t have the right, just that I think it was a terrible thing to do.

RGB could of stepped aside anytime in the 8 long years under President Hussein Obama. She then dies and President Trump is somehow packing the court by filling her seat? That's rich. Seems like the Democrats are greasing the skids to somehow justify their own actual court packing.

Reactions: hawkedoff
RBG intentionally passed on retiring during the Obama administration in anticipation of having the first woman president, Hillary Clinton, appoint her replacement,.. When that didn't pan out the plan changed to trying to outlive the Trump administration,.. Wouldn't be surprised to see Democrats pushing for some early retirements on the court so that they can reload with younger, more progressive talent...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT