ADVERTISEMENT

One reason for the government mask mandate...

Fijimn

HR Legend
May 7, 2008
it provided cover for business to avoid the wrath of the hyper-aggressive non-mask wearer. After Abbott lifted the restriction and left it to the business to decide, restaurants and bars that elected to keep the mask requirement are receiving horrible threats. Abbott thought people would do the right thing on their own. Abbott forgot that a lot (not all, not most, but a significant number) of people are simply horrible human beings and, unfortunately, they tend to be the loudest and cause the most trouble.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/li...rant-threats-mask-mandate-abbott-16003339.php

The other side of that absolutely happens as well. Take a look through that terrible NextDoor app sometime.
It's filled with people publicly outing businesses where they say they saw an employee with a nose sticking out of a mask, and then they all say, 'We'll never eat there again!", "tell everyone to avoid this place!!!".
Based on second hand info, of a snapshot in time, from a single employee.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
The thing I don't understand is why people are so mad about having to wear a mask inside as they are seated or when they walk to the bathroom/back. It's such a minimal effort and I feel like people are wasting their energy being outraged by it.

I plan to still wear one when I go to HEB, to the gym, or inside any business. If I haven't gotten COVID-19 during the last year, I'm not going away from anything I've been doing. And really all I've done is wear a mask, avoid large gatherings, and maintain healthy hygiene habits. My guess is around 65-70% of people in Houston will continue to wear masks inside businesses. Maybe I'm being too optimistic.

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
it provided cover for business to avoid the wrath of the hyper-aggressive non-mask wearer. After Abbott lifted the restriction and left it to the business to decide, restaurants and bars that elected to keep the mask requirement are receiving horrible threats. Abbott thought people would do the right thing on their own. Abbott forgot that a lot (not all, not most, but a significant number) of people are simply horrible human beings and, unfortunately, they tend to be the loudest and cause the most trouble.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/li...rant-threats-mask-mandate-abbott-16003339.php
Any business can kick any patron out that does not follow that business's rules. That's called responsibility

Any business can kick any patron out that does not follow that business's rules. That's called responsibility

What the hell does that have to do with receiving threats for keeping the mask rules in place?

Oh, come on. You want to put high-schoolers and retail clerks in the position of asking rabid anti-maskers to please leave?
Yeah. It's easy to go back and find stories and videos of people kicking the crap out of - or even killing - store/restaurant workers for trying to enforce policy.

When Abbott used that line about Texans knowing how to do the right thing he had to be laughing his ass off on the inside, knowing that the majority were going to be assholes.

The thing I don't understand is why people are so mad about having to wear a mask inside as they are seated or when they walk to the bathroom/back. It's such a minimal effort and I feel like people are wasting their energy being outraged by it.

I plan to still wear one when I go to HEB, to the gym, or inside any business. If I haven't gotten COVID-19 during the last year, I'm not going away from anything I've been doing. And really all I've done is wear a mask, avoid large gatherings, and maintain healthy hygiene habits. My guess is around 65-70% of people in Houston will continue to wear masks inside businesses. Maybe I'm being too optimistic.
How do you know you haven’t had Covid already?

Yeah. It's easy to go back and find stories and videos of people kicking the crap out of - or even killing - store/restaurant workers for trying to enforce policy.

When Abbott used that line about Texans knowing how to do the right thing he had to be laughing his ass off on the inside, knowing that the majority were going to be assholes.

HEB is on record that it's not going to put it's employees in that position. So masks will be encouraged, but no one will be asked to leave.

How do you know you haven’t had Covid already?
I may have, but doubt it since when I get sick I get run down and I have felt good throughout the last year since I've been WFH. I don't think I have, but without an antibody test I don't 100% know either.

F**k texas.

if abbot and all of their seditionist politicians that represent the state aren’t voted out after their disaster with the snow and ice, their citizens deserve what they get.

I may have, but doubt it since when I get sick I get run down and I have felt good throughout the last year since I've been WFH. I don't think I have, but without an antibody test I don't 100% know either.
I know two people who donated blood and found out they had the antibodies, claimed they were never sick. A lot of unknowns with Covid.

This. I guess the flip side is that when people boycott these businesses over masks then it's the market speaking. I'm ok with that too.

Eh, not a problem for me. I don't mind putting the mask on.

The other side of that absolutely happens as well. Take a look through that terrible NextDoor app sometime.
It's filled with people publicly outing businesses where they say they saw an employee with a nose sticking out of a mask, and then they all say, 'We'll never eat there again!", "tell everyone to avoid this place!!!".
Based on second hand info, of a snapshot in time, from a single employee.

ummm...good?

That was the only way this was going to work. People pointing out those too lazy or dumb to do something so simple as to help everyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT